Page 47 of 137 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849505797 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,880 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

thousands of people held a protest March against the strict control of the epidemic in central London, England, and clashed with police.
    Most of us think those guys are a bunch of idiots.

Related to the clashes with police, that police station that got trashed in Bristol last night, well I used to work there until about two years ago. Felt kinda weird to watch it on the news.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 09:20 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I've have been getting on-line everyday looking for some in my area. It is constantly saying there are no appointments for the next two weeks. And yet, they lowered the age to receive them. I'm 65+ and supposedly in a high risk group. I think they lowered the age as a PR stunt if the original high risk groups can't get them. Trying to show how great the roll out is I guess. So now it will be even more difficult for me. Maybe in other parts of the state there are surpluses but not around me.

Edit:

I'm referring to Columbus, Ohio.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 07:10 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I've have been getting on-line everyday looking for some in my area. It is constantly saying there are n appointments for the next two weeks. And yet, they lowered the age to receive them. I'm 65+ and supposedly in a high risk group. I think they lowered the age as a PR stunt if the original high risk groups can't get them. Trying to show how great the roll out is I guess. So now it will be even more difficult for me. Maybe in other parts of the state there are surpluses but not around me.
    The most terrible thing happened. China strictly enforced the lockdown of cities, so only 100,000 people were infected. Other countries did not control it at all at first, and eventually hundreds of millions of people were infected worldwide.
    It may infect everyone, and children are infected from birth. It is impossible not to get vaccinated. We can only hope that the human body will automatically be immune. It is good for children to have antibodies from birth.
    Fortunately, this infectious disease has a relatively high mortality rate for middle-aged and elderly people, and children should be relatively safe.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I got my 1st dose of Pfizer yesterday. Other than the usual ache at the injection site I haven't had any symptoms so far. But it's only been 30 hours.
    The vaccine is not 100% effective, maybe 50%, who knows? It may not work even after the first Cancellation of vaccine.
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 07:15 AM.

PowerPoster

How terrible is the new crown virus? A case tells you. A 78-year-old woman in Chongqing was infected with COVID-19 and her condition improved. She had three consecutive negative nucleic acid tests. Chest CT showed significant improvement and was about to be discharged. But on the eve of her discharge, the woman died of sudden cardiac arrest and died. An autopsy showed that the patient was in the lungs. There is still a complete new coronavirus. The main manifestation is like the lungs are rotten, and the principle is like a poisonous snake bite. The mortality rate is high, the treatment cost is high, and people are very painful.

Although the nasopharyngeal swab was negative, we all tried to determine whether the SARS-CoV-2 virus was left in the patient.
    We performed digital PCR on tissue sections of lung, liver, heart, intestine and skin. Unexpectedly, SARS-CoV-2 virus nucleic acid positive was found only in the lungs and not in other tissues.

Like a vampire, this virus especially likes to eat lungs.
    Just like the game "Plants vs. Zombies", the "new crown virus" eats your lungs (zombies eat your brain)
    Last edited by xiaoyao; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I got my 1st dose of Pfizer yesterday. Other than the usual ache at the injection site I haven't had any symptoms so far. But it's only been 30 hours.
    I got the Moderna one... pretty much the same thing, soreness at the injection site. Felt like l had a bruise in my shoulder. Got the shot on Friday afternoon, the soreness was at its worst on Sat, by Sunday it was going away. Today I'm pretty much feeling fine, still a little sore if I push on it, which I don't plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    The vaccine is not 100% effective, maybe 50%, who knows? It may not work even after the first Cancellation of vaccine.
    First getting the vaccine doesn't mean you won't get the virus. Or sick. What it does mean is that IF you do get it, the symptoms will be milder, you stand a better chance at surviving it. Second, no vaccine is 100%. Not even the flu vaccine. Not even small pox. But the Covid vaccines are in the 97-99% efficacy range for preventing severe symptoms that lead to mortality. I'll take my chances with the vaccine thank you very much.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Today, 100 years later, when Italy first discovered a case, it immediately blocked the Chinese route, which was considered a relatively quick response.

However, since Iran has fallen, it is useless to block China.

The epidemic in Italy began to break out, and the most serious Lombardy region became the second Wuhan. The medical system was broken down and the death rate soared. Medical students graduated early and retired workers returned to their posts, but even this was far from enough.

The government has ordered the priority treatment of young people who are more likely to survive. Front-line medical workers are facing tremendous psychological pressure of "watching the patients die."

One nurse couldn't help but committed suicide. Some medical staff even claimed that "I am afraid I will not be in line if I get infected."

At the end of March, Italy was a purgatory on earth. The death rate in Hubei in my country was around 2.4%, and the death rate outside Hubei was about 0.4%.

On March 23 in 2020, the death rate across Italy was about 9%, and the most serious Lombardy region had a death rate of more than 12%. 27,206 deaths were diagnosed and 3456 deaths were diagnosed. There were too many dead bodies to be shipped.

In contrast, although the government has ordered the city to be closed for isolation, Italians seem to have some problems with the concept of "isolation". They still go out every day to buy cigarettes, refuel, run, and even hold parties with their neighbors. I have to say They may not really understand the power of infectious diseases.

PowerPoster

I only describe the state of the critically ill person, which is also from the description of the first-line doctor.

In the few minutes before their death, they were very awake, but breathing was extremely difficult. They would cry for help, and would struggle desperately. The doctor on the side had almost nothing to do, watching the patient breathe out the last breath.

This state is the same as drowning. A large amount of water fills the lungs, and oxygen is isolated, and it is impossible to get in again. The lungs are filled with the jelly-like secretions caused by the virus, and the ventilation function is completely lost, and even dense oxygen can't get into the blood. Even if it is rescued by sucking sputum, the bronchoscope can't reach the end of the lungs at all. You can only watch the patient hoarse and dying to death. This is also a huge torment for the medical staff.

On February 18, Zhong Nanshan was in the process of answering questions from reporters. Through the autopsy of the remains of patients who died of new coronary pneumonia, they found that the performance of the lungs is a little different from SARS. It is not severe fibrosis. There are some alveoli, but inflammation. It is very powerful and has a large amount of mucus, which echoes the situation during clinical visits. Many critically ill patients have little sputum but are very sticky. It is very difficult to use a ventilator. The patient breathes by himself, and the ventilator breathes by himself.

PowerPoster

I've have been getting on-line everyday looking for some in my area. It is constantly saying there are no appointments for the next two weeks. And yet, they lowered the age to receive them. I'm 65+ and supposedly in a high risk group. I think they lowered the age as a PR stunt if the original high risk groups can't get them. Trying to show how great the roll out is I guess. So now it will be even more difficult for me. Maybe in other parts of the state there are surpluses but not around me.
    The age was lowered here in Michigan as well, just as I was entering eligibility. Maybe I just got lucky but after hammering for several days found an open appointment and got it.

Another issue:

When I went in to the lab here for unrelated blood draws I brought up the difficulty of getting vaccinated. Lab techs said "Just sign up for waiting lists everywhere they're offered" and rattled off a list.

Well, I checked a few and found nothing available to me. BUT... if "everyone" is doing this as suggested (and only showing up for one appointment) perhaps the appointment schedules are quite filled up with deadwood. That could make the wait artificially long with a lot of no-shows.

I've have been getting on-line everyday looking for some in my area.
    This is a difference between the UK and the US. Here you get invited to attend and you confirm whether or not you will do so. Having to go out and search for availability seems stupid to me and will just create unwanted congestion in the system.

perhaps the appointment schedules are quite filled up with deadwood.
    You'd like to think that no shows would be a rarity if people have confirmed. There's always a certain amount fall away but you'd hope folks are taking this more seriously than general GP appointments.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 09:28 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

There is a difference between states in the US, as well. I got a very strange email on Friday saying that I will be offered an appointment in the next 10 days. For one thing, 10 days is a weird time period. Are they counting only business days, in which case it is two weeks? Or do they count weekends, in which case I might get offered an appointment on a weekend? Hard to say. Furthermore, it is just an announcement that I will be offered an appointment, which I kind of knew anyways (after all, I did sign up for that), but there is no suggestion as to how far out the appointment will be for. Technically, I could be offered an appointment in June, based on that. While that might seem a bit facetious, it isn't really, because I don't become eligible for another two weeks. So, if they were to offer me an appointment in the next 10 days, it would have to be for some point in the future, because I'm not eligible in the next 10 days.

My response: Whatever!

Anyways, I've always felt that they will offer me an appointment on the one week where I will not only not be around, but not be able to even know about the offer. I won a strange raffle, and decided to accept the prize: A week of hard labor in an area where even satellite phones probably don't work. As a prize, it gave me pause. Should be some good company, though, and pretty scenic.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Here's how it worked for us: Two weeks ago today, (being Monday) SC opened up phase 1b (why b, and not just phase 2, which doesn't actually exist, I don't know, but what ever)... which now included me and my wife as we have health conditions. We hit the state's health dept website for appointment tracking... and on Tues morning found two slots open for Friday. One in the morning, one in the afternoon./ My wife took the morning and I took the afternoon. Unfortunately my wife goofed up and didn't actually hit the confirm button when setting up hers, and so she lost her spot, but they put her on the waiting list. Between then and the time I got mine, they had a no-show... so pencilled her in for the same time as me. Then Fri afternoon we both went in and got our shots. That's largely how it's been going. They put people on a list, when someone doesn't show, they cal the first person on the wait list, "can ya get here?" or... depending on the location, they'll ask people waiting in line at the checkout (we got ours at the Walmart Pharmacy). It's easier to ddo that than to have to store or transport the doses back. I think they get a set number to use daily and it's a use or lose kind of thing.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

In my post #1842 I mentioned that I can't find one and the state still opened up for lower age groups. A follow-up on the local news stated that even though it is tough to get the vaccine in some parts of the state other parts have it sitting on the shelf. They want to use it before they lose it.

I have a health condition, too: I'm breathing.

That's the condition of my health.

We also had the goofy sub categories, but it almost made sense. At first, they came out with three categories, 1, 2, and 3. These were nowhere near the same size. Category 1 was health care workers, or something like that. Category 2 was then a large variety of people including front-line workers, people over 65, some groups with certain health problems (I forget what), and a few other groups that were put into the category. Category 3 was "everybody else".

Clearly, that was inadequate, so as soon as Category 2 opened up, it got subdivided into a series of sub-groups, which opened up at different times. Category 3 wasn't supposed to open up until May 1st, but things were not going well. By subdividing people into narrow categories with different windows, they ended up guaranteeing that roughly half of all available appointments couldn't be filled. There were plenty of people who WANTED vaccines, but they were opening up to a new category each week, and those categories were too small to take up the available slots even as the amount of vaccines was soaring, in this state. Therefore, they shifted the opening of Category 3 up into March, and broke that into a series of sub-categories that were broader than the sub-categories from Category 2. This was a more rational system, yet it was still kind of conservative (which fits this state pretty well) and controlling (which REALLY fits this state pretty well). The amount of vaccine is still increasing, and vaccination facilities are also increasing, whereas the categories probably don't have sufficient flexibility built into them to accelerate the schedule.

What I suspect is going on, based on the email I received, is that they've decided to quietly ignore their own sub-categories and just start pulling people in as fast as availability opens up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    We also had the goofy sub categories, but it almost made sense. At first, they came out with three categories, 1, 2, and 3. These were nowhere near the same size. Category 1 was health care workers, or something like that. Category 2 was then a large variety of people including front-line workers, people over 65, some groups with certain health problems (I forget what), and a few other groups that were put into the category. Category 3 was "everybody else".
    Yeah, those are our Phase 1a, 1b, and 1c categories... The "some groups with certain health conditions" is 16+ with any underlying heath conditions that make them susceptible. That's how my and the wife qualified - heart & diabetes... My daughter qualifies under 1a since she's getting ready to start student teaching here shortly. Other kiddo has epilepsy, but apparently that doesn't qualify her, so she has to wait a bit longer.

-tg

PowerPoster

My experience couldn't have been simpler. Checked the county website for vaccine locations. A grocery store that I shop at all the time was one of them. Went there, made appointment, got my shot, made my second appointment, got my second shot.

If you think about it, it must be a hell of a task to vaccinate a country our size. 50 states, each with multiple counties, with multiple government officials. The fact that some states/counties are doing a crappy job isn't surprising, I'd say it's almost unavoidable. The logistics of it must be staggering. Though I would have to say I've been underwhelmed by the CDC through this whole pandemic.
    Last edited by wes4dbt; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 04:40 PM.

King of sapila

Also don't say "I got the vaccine and I am fine".
    The complications might be long term not short term. No one knows so...
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Complications from what exactly? Training my immune system to fight off something that it might otherwise not be able to fight off? What is it about the vaccines exactly that had people scared/cautious about taking it?

-tg

PowerPoster

Grapes are often deemed sour when they seem out of reach.

What's wrong with sour grapes, anyways? I've had some awesomely sour grapes, and they were excellent. Yeah, you wouldn't eat more than one or two, but they provided quite the kick. My mouth is watering just remembering those, and it was something like forty years ago. There was a TON of flavor to them (a metric ton, flavor is only measured in metric tons), so you could make some pretty awesome jelly with them, though it would take a fair amount of sugar.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Complications from what exactly? Training my immune system to fight off something that it might otherwise not be able to fight off? What is it about the vaccines exactly that had people scared/cautious about taking it?

-tg
    Regarding whether the "new crown pneumonia" needs to wear a mask, US leaders have studied for half a year and have not yet decided. Because the person wearing the mask may be a terrorist, fearing that the Statue of Liberty will be attacked again. Whether or not to lock down the city is not decided after a long meeting. Whether the vaccine is harmful, will cause some deaths, and whether it will be effective forever, is not clear

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    My experience couldn't have been simpler. Checked the county website for vaccine locations. A grocery store that I shop at all the time was one of them. Went there, made appointment, got my shot, made my second appointment, got my second shot.

If you think about it, it must be a hell of a task to vaccinate a country our size. 50 states, each with multiple counties, with multiple government officials. The fact that some states/counties are doing a crappy job isn't surprising, I'd say it's almost unavoidable. The logistics of it must be staggering. Though I would have to say I've been underwhelmed by the CDC through this whole pandemic.
    If many countries do not pay attention to how terrible the infection rate is, some people have not been infected, but in the end they went to the place where the vaccine was given to get the infection.

PowerPoster

Is Allen Funt lurking around here somewhere again?

PowerPoster

What's wrong with sour grapes, anyways? I've had some awesomely sour grapes, and they were excellent. Yeah, you wouldn't eat more than one or two, but they provided quite the kick. My mouth is watering just remembering those, and it was something like forty years ago. There was a TON of flavor to them (a metric ton, flavor is only measured in metric tons), so you could make some pretty awesome jelly with them, though it would take a fair amount of sugar.
    Does Meiguo have pineapples and (Pineapple was also imported from Brazil, but it came to Taiwan Province. Because the leaves on the tip of the fruit resemble the tail of a phoenix, it is called pineapple. Gradually developed into one of the pillar fruits in Taiwan)? Taiwan has a high output. Looking for big buyers

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Also don't say "I got the vaccine and I am fine".
    The complications might be long term not short term. No one knows so...
    Sound like your more fearful of a vaccine which has not shown to kill people then a virus that definitely does kill people !!
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

I just had an OMG moment...A FOX news correspondent said "Remember we support, wear your mask and socially distant, just like we always have." Of course that is an outright lie. Who knows how many people died from them supporting Trump's approach to the pandemic. That would be like Trump coming out and saying "I said Joe Biden won all along".

PowerPoster

Russia's GDP is about $1.3 trillion, Guangdong's is $1.2 trillion, and South Korea's GDP is $1.64 trillion. Britain and France are growing faster every year, and Germany is almost stagnant. Russia's economy has gone downhill in recent years, and its gross domestic product is only equivalent to that of Guangdong Province in China.The average monthly income of small commodities in Yiwu, China is more than ten thousand dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by xiaoyao View Post
    Russia's GDP is about $1.3 trillion, Guangdong's is $1.2 trillion, and South Korea's GDP is $1.64 trillion. Britain and France are growing faster every year, and Germany is almost stagnant. Russia's economy has gone downhill in recent years, and its gross domestic product is only equivalent to that of Guangdong Province in China.The average monthly income of small commodities in Yiwu, China is more than ten thousand dollars.
    You've posted some odd things in the past, but this is about the oddest, really.

PowerPoster

You've posted some odd things in the past, but this is about the oddest, really.
    Yiwu Commodity City, China, has been developing rapidly before, from a rural area to the cities with the highest income in China. The new crown epidemic has caused a large number of merchants to fail to receive orders and the losses are very serious. At the same time, there are also many non-Chinese people who have spread their illness to Yiwu and others

PowerPoster

Yeah if he is typical and the things he says is what the Chinese government and media have led the people believe, that would be scary and sad for their people.

Yeah if he is typical and the things he says is what the Chinese government and media have led the people believe, that would be scary and sad for their people.
    Right...how many American's believe that Trump won the election, Climate change is a Chinese hoax, Covid-19 is just the Democrats trying to make Trump look bad, the USA makes billions from the tariff war, I could go on for a while. That is also sad...

Tyson has a pretty good point. There are large portions of the US that believe some pretty odd things. There's also probably a significant percentage of the US population that couldn't find China on a map. I wonder how many Chinese couldn't find the US on a map? Probably few in cities, but a fair number in rural areas.

PowerPoster

Right...how many American's believe that Trump won the election, Climate change is a Chinese hoax, Covid-19 is just the Democrats trying to make Trump look bad, the USA makes billions from the tariff war, I could go on for a while. That is also sad...
    Yeah it is sad and scary but for a different reason. These people choose to believe those things and they choose not to believe in the reports that contradicts those claims. The truth is available to them. It's up to each of us to decide what's true. That's the scary part. lol

PowerPoster

Posts like these are, why I think that only "half of the time" there's a human behind the account.

The posting really reads like coming from a bot with a very badly adjusted "context-detector" -
    then replying with "slightly related, concatenated data-snippets" -
    this time operating in "patriotic-nerd" mode", not in "coding-nerd" mode.

Olaf

how many American's believe that Trump won the election
    Well, Sydney Powell doesn't. Her defence in Dominion's defamation law suit is that no reasonable person would believe her fraud claims. Nothing to see here... move along...

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    FOX new used that when someone sued Tucker Carlton and it worked:

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/91774...ay-fox-s-lawye

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Posts like these are, why I think that only "half of the time" there's a human behind the account.

The posting really reads like coming from a bot with a very badly adjusted "context-detector" -
    then replying with "slightly related, concatenated data-snippets" -
    this time operating in "patriotic-nerd" mode", not in "coding-nerd" mode.

Olaf
    But it's posts coming through a translator, responding to data coming through a translator. The odds are pretty good that neither side of this conversation is having the same conversation that they believe the other side is having.

King of sapila

Is it the Yota Maker? Moti finally did it??!!
    Anyone regular here got that?
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

FOX new used that when someone sued Tucker Carlton and it worked:

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/29/91774...ay-fox-s-lawye
    That's interesting. So the more your known for being a liar, the more lies you can spread without any legal consequence. That's a very friendly judge.

I hope Powell and Giuliani are held accountable for the lies they spread, for trying to overthrow the election. They damaged our country, their actions will be felt for many years to come.

That's interesting. So the more your known for being a liar, the more lies you can spread without any legal consequence. That's a very friendly judge.

I hope Powell and Giuliani are held accountable for the lies they spread, for trying to overthrow the election. They damaged our country, their actions will be felt for many years to come.
    You left out who they were doing it for and had their full support...Trump.

Page 47 of 137 FirstFirst ... 37444546474849505797 ... LastLast