Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 397986878889
Results 3,521 to 3,538 of 3538

Thread: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

  1. #3521
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,620

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Er, no. Trump's vaccine push (Operation Warp Speed) had not produced a tested product ready to be administered until the Biden Coup occurred. The embarrassingly weak acceptance levels however definitely occurred on Biden's watch.
    Looks like you got your own version of TDS.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  2. #3522
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,863

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Well I'm not the one who keeps raising insane politically-motivated points. I just push back on the crazies, stuffing them back into the sewers.

  3. #3523
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Modesto, Ca.
    Posts
    4,765

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Er, no. Trump's vaccine push (Operation Warp Speed) had not produced a tested product ready to be administered until the Biden Coup occurred. The embarrassingly weak acceptance levels however definitely occurred on Biden's watch.
    There is a whole lot more needed to fight a pandemic than just a "vaccine push". Also, why do you try and paint the "embarrassingly weak acceptance levels" as Biden's fault. This whole fight against acknowledging the seriousness of this pandemic and working together to control it, started long before the Biden administration. "Biden Coup", lol

  4. #3524
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,620

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Well I'm not the one who keeps raising insane politically-motivated points. I just push back on the crazies, stuffing them back into the sewers.
    Yeah, right. Pulling them back, is more accurate.

    Biden coup...heh.

    It's still chapping your butt that he lost, because anything negative of Trump is sure to get the ol' passive-aggressive attack response. You don't go after criticism of anybody else, but say one thing about Trump and out comes the TDS response. I haven't gone back to check the record precisely, but I don't recall you ever objecting to criticism of any other person, or letting any criticism of Trump not get labeled as TDS.

    And then you go on with the Biden coup thing. That one's a hoot. That recount in AZ, with a totally partisan team doing all kinds of sloppiness, and they widened the margin for Biden....but it's STILL a coup. Yeah...heh, that's a coup. When your own partisans can't spin a single recount in your direction, it's kind of like that quote about one of Boris Johnson's cabinet (I forget who, but I think it was some fishy guy), "he managed to lose a rigged election".
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  5. #3525
    Wall Poster TysonLPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,598

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Er, no. Trump's vaccine push (Operation Warp Speed) had not produced a tested product ready to be administered until the Biden Coup occurred. The embarrassingly weak acceptance levels however definitely occurred on Biden's watch.
    I remember a number of Trump rallies where he said the pandemic would be over right after Nov. 4th because it was a democratic hoax! He was on national broadcasts saying that. Some of his supporters still believe that. Is that who you are holding up as an example of someone that handled the pandemic seriously?
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

  6. #3526
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    ...but say one thing about Trump and out comes the TDS response...
    Oh, it doesn't require anyone to criticise Trump. Dil is actually inventing criticisms that aren't even being made. It's... weird, frankly.

    The martyr complex on the American right is truly staggering at the moment.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Today at 08:51 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  7. #3527
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,863

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Right? Right?

    That's a hot one.

  8. #3528
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,620

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Yeah, I've never thought of Dilettante as being on the right. In the US, politics is kind of a horseshoe which doesn't quite make a full circle. Unfortunately, as you get out towards the ends of the horseshoe, you find a bunch of frilly protrusions like the roots of a tree, and some of those protrusions go on past the protrusions coming from the other side....at which point the whole analogy breaks down, and the simplification of stuffing political positions into either a binary state or even a single, linear, continuum becomes essentially problematic.

    Dil's anti-globalization, pro-labor, positions put him generally to the left. Trump was never a conservative, anyways, so that doesn't matter.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  9. #3529
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    anti-globalization, pro-labor, positions
    We can debate the semantics but I don't think the right is defined by policies and positions any more.

    edit> to expand on that, the qualifier is now belief in a "Biden Coup"
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Today at 11:54 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  10. #3530
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,863

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    I think to a lot of people it's an armband they make for themselves, and anyone who doesn't wear it is the enemy.

  11. #3531
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,863

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Winston Churchill Was a Racist Warmonger Who Tried to Sterilize the Mentally Ill

    The "British Bulldog" is celebrated as a defeater of Nazis and champion of democracy. But he also hated Indian people, loved eugenics, and advocated for poison gas.
    Be careful who you stick up there on a pedestal.

  12. #3532
    PowerPoster
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    22,863

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Everybody loves watching Dr. V:


  13. #3533
    Wall Poster TysonLPrice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    3,598

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    This is how some of our congressman are behaving. We are in a race for the bottom and I can actually see democracy disintegrating more everyday. I truly feel the America I grew up in is disappearing fast.

    South Carolina congressman Jeff Duncan wore a mask featuring the new conservative meme "Let's Go Brandon" on the House floor, with the slogan adopted by Donald Trump supporters in replacement of the "f**k Joe Biden" chant.
    https://www.newsweek.com/jeff-duncan...-chant-1642534

    "Let's go Brandon" is a euphemism for something not so polite.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

  14. #3534
    Super Moderator FunkyDexter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth
    Posts
    7,719

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Be careful who you stick up there on a pedestal.
    Not sure of the relevance but I've never had a problem acknowledging Churchill's dark side. He was a great leader to the nation when one was needed but he was, indeed, also a racist warmonger. What's your point?

    You can add to the list that, while he was a great political leader, he was a terrible military one and a screaming alcoholic to boot. And if you want to get an idea of his autocratic tendencies you can read my sig. It was witty quip, sure, but it also reveals a darker side.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

    Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

  15. #3535
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,620

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    I think to a lot of people it's an armband they make for themselves, and anyone who doesn't wear it is the enemy.
    Yeah, that's certainly fair.

    I think there are philosophical people on each side. Philosophical conservatives (the George Will types) didn't support Trump, but the Republican party did. For most people, it is just an armband, with no meaning beyond that. For the philosophers on either side, it is more than that, but they lack the numbers and the weight to swing an election.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  16. #3536
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,039

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    So According to OECD the prices are going to rise more in all the goods.
    Apparently locking down earth and stopping production just....Ehh damn...just....Mmmmm...I can't say the word... OK, stopping production just forked us over really hard.There.
    Any more bright ideas on lock downs due to the flue?What's the general thoughts about that in US and England? I know our bright idiots here are up to something, I mean they disallowed the student parade from happening and in 2 days it's our national liberty parade. They are raising the cases on purpose so they can cancel the parade but the cases are so low I don't think they will make it. Go little dictator go, think of something.
    .

  17. #3537
    Super Moderator Shaggy Hiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    36,620

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    In the US, I'm not even sure how much it matters. We haven't had anything that could be called a lockdown in something like a year and a half, and for most of the intervening time there was no impact. Now, the news is filled with stories about container ships riding to anchor off ports waiting to unload. Then Biden said that one port would go to round the clock to try to speed things up.

    Now, if we take these things to be the most important factors, then the inflation we are seeing could be due solely to a supply logjam, and the logjam is happening with unloading ships and moving cargo from the ports. I'm sure that's a part of it, but there's another story in the US, as well:

    Car companies responded to the original COVID by canceling orders for parts. Normally, they'd have a steady supply of chips coming in, but they canceled their orders, and now are on the back of the list, because LOTS of people were willing to take their places in the line. That wasn't due to a lockdown, that was due to a mistake. They thought demand would stay flat for a long time, but in the US, demand went through the roof, perhaps because of all the money that was shoveled out to people (which plenty of people felt was enough to cause inflation on its own). The US economy has been rockin' like it's 1959, yet some of the big producers predicted, and planned for, the exact opposite.

    And then there are the rental car companies. You may remember that I couldn't find a rental car to get home back in June. That was because the car companies also expected a protracted lack of demand and sold all their cars. Demand came roaring back...and they couldn't buy a car to rent.

    So, as far as I can tell, the lockdown in the US had nearly no impact on anything. It was brief, it was ineffective, and it has been over for a long time. However, the predictions of doom coming from the corporate boardrooms was 180 degrees opposite of what actually happened: We all went home and bought crap like it was going out of season. The brakes were slammed on the production lines thinking that we'd stop buying, and instead we got buying like never before...and ended up totally out of whack.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

  18. #3538
    King of sapila
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    6,039

    Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

    If we are calling this a coincidence, I'm afraid it's not, no matter how much salt of side effect you put into it. I can say for myself, lost almost 70% of my income in one day, so I stopped buying so companies got astray cuz almost everyone was doing the same. I wanted to get a Graphic Card and ....Yooohhaa!! I could sell my own for 3 times it's initial value. The world reset and I'm afraid not in the best possible way as we end up with worse economy, higher prices, higher fuel prices, super higher electric bills, vax unvax wars, huge protests all over the world (except US, apparently everything is fine there?) . I usual get my super market products for 18-20 Euros. Today I paid 32 and I was looking at what the heck did I bought wrong? Except I did not. So on top on that we have our idiots warning for lockdown and tell us to vaccinate because...I don't know, there are less and less excuses, now they are saying to vaccinate because, potentially the cases will rise at some point in time.I don't know, they are losing it also I guess.
    So even if that was a huge cancellation scheme in the end we end up with high prices. So as I said and you said, stopping production had that impact. Can you take a guess what companies got a huge profit out of the whole mess?
    .

Page 89 of 89 FirstFirst ... 397986878889

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width