Page 87 of 137 FirstFirst ... 37778485868788899097 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,480 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

what's your excuse there in Blighty?
    Our infection rates certainly rose due to Delta but our death rates did not. This is indicative that our vaccination program has worked to reduce the lethality at least. Evidence of it's effect of transmissibility is less clear but our infection rates remained reasonably low after the July (Delta) peak until a couple of weeks ago when they started to rise again. Our media and government aren't really talking about that yet which is pretty disappointing given that the mistake we've repeated more than any other is to act too late

Personally I think that's a combination of two factors:-
    1. In Europe the Delta variant hit here first and hardest due to our close historical and cultural ties with India
    2. That left us with a substantial reservoir of infection which we've failed to deal with due to complacency bred out of our low death rates.

I can see the logic in that but I personally think it's dangerous and I think. while our vaccination program has been very good, we've eased social measures too quickly and risk incubating another escape variant.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I like the stunt your Lt. Governor pulled while the Governor was out of state.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/06/10437...e-was-out-of-t

You would think he would have learned since she had already done it once. I saw one of her campaign ads. She is sitting in a pickup truck next to the American flag and a bible in her hand. Towards the end of the ad she lays a handgun on the bible. Just classic
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Don't get too smug. Ohio ranks 10th in COVID deaths per capita.

States ranked by COVID-19 death rates: Oct. 14

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Don't get too smug. Ohio ranks 10th in COVID deaths per capita.

States ranked by COVID-19 death rates: Oct. 14
    But not from the Governor deliberately making things worse for political reasons.

PowerPoster

You won't hear me defending their malicious policies.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I like the stunt your Lt. Governor pulled while the Governor was out of state.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/06/10437...e-was-out-of-t

You would think he would have learned since she had already done it once. I saw one of her campaign ads. She is sitting in a pickup truck next to the American flag and a bible in her hand. Towards the end of the ad she lays a handgun on the bible. Just classic
    Yeah. We're going to have a wonderful primary race. When two of the candidates utterly loathe one another, and a third took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge (yep, he's running, as well)...it's just going to be terrific. There's a fourth candidate, as well, and I'm not sure what position he's trying to carve out. I noticed one of his ads, though it was a static ad with little text. Seems like he might be going for the militia vote, but that sector is pretty well covered by the Lt. Governor.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Am I right that they were both Republicans or did I missunderstand that? I mean, that seems really bizarre when (nominally at least) they're both supposed to be representing the same position/
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Yeah, they're both Republicans. The two jobs are elected independently, in this state, so they don't have to get along. This is largely a single party state, with the center fighting with an extremist fringe. The fringe has never gotten the top job, but has occasionally won the largely ceremonial #2 spot. The only time Democrats seem to win is when a fringe candidate gets through the primary. At that point, anybody from the center right through the left, votes for the Democrat out of horror at the alternative. Normally, though, the fringe candidates only get a few percent of the vote. Next year might be different.

King of sapila

So after 5 months of no rain we got all the rain of the year in one shot.
    Athens overflowed, lucky where I live it's the start of the hill so I will never have issues but other areas got a taste of the lack of the government and mayor to clear the shafts, open emergency water exits and not warn the people to stay indoors. Btw those 2 idiots(prime, mayor) are related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8UGewBUb08
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

Yeah, there seem to be an increasing number of flood incidents though I imagine a city the size of Athens getting hit is worse than most. I guess you could all huddle onto the Acropolis.

It's a good thing that climate change isn't real.

King of sapila

It has nothing to do with climate change.
    Although I overreacted about the amount of rain, it was a typical hard British rain. If they even cared to clear the shafts, plant some trees that where destroyed in the previous years fires and don't allow building over old river corridors then we would have handled it. But they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    It has nothing to do with climate change.
    Although I overreacted about the amount of rain, it was a typical hard British rain. If they even cared to clear the shafts, plant some trees that where destroyed in the previous years fires and don't allow building over old river corridors then we would have handled it. But they don't care.
    C'mon, that's the American way!! Heck, even your floodwater looked the right color. Out here, any heavy rain causes one or more stream channels to 'blow out'. There they are, merrily channeling streams along the same ol' bed. Not changing much from year to year. Moving a little sand, occasionally a rock, but never enough to get excited about. Then BOOM! A heavy rain comes through, and that stream digs it's way down into the ground like a drug addled gopher. The stream turns to mud, whole rivers get blocked from all the debris dumped into them, ponds form, houses are submerged, rafters are panicked, and fish stop biting. Why did THAT rain cause THAT stream to suddenly decide to dig it's way into the ground? Who knows....though incessant wildfires burning off the vegetation certainly does help.

King of sapila

They way you describe it happened almost identically in last years flood of Evia that also mudbathed my car so I had to get another. But that rain back then was heavy as forks (hope I don't get a warning). I mean lightnings where blasting right out of our doors an of course the river, having had a ton of debris and cement build in it just did the limbo and flooded the hell out. But that was different from what happened in Athens. It was pooring, heck it was pooring A LOT but nothing like Evia's rain.
    Why is that the American way may I ask? We are more than capable to block our own water exits and burn our forests thankyouverymuch. , we even had an entire road build into a river in Athens suburbans. Of course 3-4 years ago that did not go well. Let's say a little Venice was born.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Oct 18th, 2021 at 11:54 AM.

But that rain back then was heavy as forks
    That is heavy for rain

(hope I don't get a warning).
    I think an editing is more appropriate this time

King of sapila

Yei, editing!

I was chatting with a customer and she is a "long hauler" from Covid from last November. She still cannot taste or smell odors. Every once in a while she will think she smells smoke or a chemical but the people around her don't.

It came up because we both work from home and it was near lunch time. Eating just isn't the same for her. That would suck.

Yeah, that would suck. What fun is eating without taste? I ate a tub of Crisco once, but I could taste it....and I had lost roughly a third of my body weight, so it tasted GREAT!

@Sapator: You're new to this, 'burn down the country' thing. We do it every year.

King of sapila

What?! No way, we have over 5000 years of experience burning down the country and neighbor countries.. Troy anyone? Hellooo!!

PowerPoster

For all I know the video may be blocked in Greece, and even if not there is the language barrier.

But here is that famous climate change documentary. This version annotated with academic commentary:

Don't miss the truly exciting sections about sulrpanls and bark beetles.

I can see the link on my home PC, of course I'd never go to it, but at work it is blocked.

King of sapila

I can see it at work but I cannot play it here. I'm supposed to be working...You know?...
    It's funny that when I first started they where blocking vbforums but youtube and, ehh, youpo....you know what, was not blocked.
    Not that I used it. Nonono.
    But of course sometimes vbforums tends to be worse
    Last edited by sapator; Oct 19th, 2021 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Finger slip , brain fart. Also alerted admin to unblock youpo...

PowerPoster

China to Ohio, the road to fraud:

1,683 Fake COVID-19 Vaccination Cards & 2,034 Fake Pfizer Seals Seized by Cincinnati CBP

Release Date: September 16, 2021

CINCINNATI–As the country continues to grapple with the COVID-19 pandemic, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the Port of Cincinnati remain focused on protecting American lives. Since August 16, Cincinnati officers have seized five shipments containing a total of 1,683 counterfeit COVID-19 vaccination cards and 2,034 fake Pfizer inoculation stickers.

Although the vaccination cards displayed a logo for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), officers noticed misspellings and substandard printing—clues that they were fake. The shipments, which originated in China, were being imported by non-medical entities in private residences and apartments in Illinois, Maryland, Missouri, New York, and Texas.
    All kids of nasty stuff comes up through the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers trying to use the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    China to Ohio, the road to fraud:

1,683 Fake COVID-19 Vaccination Cards & 2,034 Fake Pfizer Seals Seized by Cincinnati CBP

All kids of nasty stuff comes up through the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers trying to use the back door.
    Seems like we could make them right here in the U.S.A. and they would be "quality" frauds

I can see it at work but I cannot play it here. I'm supposed to be working...You know?...
    It's funny that when I first started they where blocking vbforums but youtube and, ehh, youpo....you know what, was not blocked.
    Not that I used it. Nonono.
    But of course sometimes vbforums tends to be worse
    So it is OK to post on this forum during working hours but not look at videos?

PowerPoster

Seems like we could make them right here in the U.S.A. and they would be "quality" frauds
    Yeah, but remember how inept and lazy our fraudsters are. They'd probably be unable to do as good a job and they might have to leave their gaming throne in Mom's basement to do it. Then there's the general lassitude from smoking dope all the time.

PowerPoster

So it is OK to post on this forum during working hours but not look at videos?
    Uhoh sapator, I think you're boss is here!

King of sapila

I'm posting on a coding forum, so.
    I can look at the videos but 2 hours video..And I'm not kinda sort working per say, we got a lot of work but since I schedule it correctly I can goof around for a couple of minutes.
    Fraud vaccinations are also a thing in Greece.A whole hospital was caught in the act.If I was abled to do the vaccine I wouldn't go hiding out in fake cards, I want them to know that I am not doing the vaccine.
    Personally 90% of the persons I know do the vaccine so they don't have the movement limitations, not to get protected.

P.S.
    Ye I'm the boss of me....Till the girlfriend comes home...
    Last edited by sapator; Oct 19th, 2021 at 10:00 AM. Reason: I'm the boss of...Something.

What is the point of those fraudulent proofs of vaccination? Is this for supplying phony cards to employers? I don't know of any use for them, myself, though in some industries I guess they might be required. Are they required to enter businesses anywhere in the US?

It is my understanding that other parts of this country are taking COVID more seriously than in Idaho.

PowerPoster

All I can think of are things like employer and airline requirements. Aside from that maybe echo-chamber paranoia about door-to-door checks?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    What is the point of those fraudulent proofs of vaccination? Is this for supplying phony cards to employers? I don't know of any use for them, myself, though in some industries I guess they might be required. Are they required to enter businesses anywhere in the US?

It is my understanding that other parts of this country are taking COVID more seriously than in Idaho.
    Probably for the next Trump rally

PowerPoster

And boom goes the TDS. Ah, the gift that keeps on giving.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

If you don't have them you cannot work on the hospitals, you cannot go the football stadium or any stadium, indoor and outdoor you cannot sit inside to a bar or restaurant , err what else.. Ah you must pay for your rapid test, probably something with the airport transportation but not sure about that. Dictators gonna dictate.

If you don't have them you cannot work on the hospitals, you cannot go the football stadium or any stadium, indoor and outdoor you cannot sit inside to a bar or restaurant , err what else.. Ah you must pay for your rapid test, probably something with the airport transportation but not sure about that. Dictators gonna dictate.
    That might be true in Greece, but these phony cards were found in the US. You're right about working in the hospitals, but are there restrictions on venues?

I remember that Boise State tried to...do something, I forget what it was, but it failed miserably. I'm not sure what, if any, rules they have now.

HA! Just took a look at that one. They HAD required either proof of vaccination or a negative test, but the case loads in Boise are so high that they can't do enough rapid testing anyways, and didn't want to waste any on testing people going to the football games....so they just dropped the requirement.

Did you get that? As a result of the case loads being so high, they dropped the requirements for proof of vaccination or testing negative.

That just kind of sums up my view for how COVID is going in this part of the country: We can't deal with it responsibly, so let's just not deal with it at all.

King of sapila

We have it on venues and also in clubs.
    I haven't really paid any attention to the numbers , there is not that much of terrorization recently as my guess is they are waiting for a colder weather to start it. Since we mentioned it in the past, I was paying attention on who the masked mallards are that walk the streets. I see all kind of ages. I also see people using them alone inside their cars or on an empty street, force of habit? In the company building I work there are 3-4 companies split across so one of the companies are "mask on" , we are on "more mask off, slight mask on" and the other companies are completely "mask off". After the initial "did you vaccinate?" period, no one really cares no more. The craziness is going down, unfortunately for our, born out of a potato farm of grievances, politicians, we really don't die spectacularly no more as the hysteria got tiresome at some point, so I'm curious how will mandate more stuff or show a covid outflow.....

PowerPoster

I won't claim to have any of it figured out.

Supposedly in the UK they have high rates of vaccination and hygiene compliance and loads of testing and tracking and forehead hologram tags picked up on CCTV in every doghouse and outhouse, etc. But yet the rate of new infection per capita blows away US rates and continues to climb.

My guess is that it stems from relative overcrowding along with far less compliance with strategies like staying home than they admit to.

At the same time they seem to have better levels of hospitalization and for that matter deaths.

I'm not sure we have a grip on the most important factors even this late in the game.

King of sapila

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.

The craziness is going down, unfortunately for our, born out of a potato farm of grievances, politicians,
    You probably aren't aware of it, but potatoes are kind of a thing in Idaho. Our license plates have "Famous Potatoes" as the motto on the generic ones. You can also get a license plate with a baked potato on it, we have the Potato Drop on New Years, and the bowl game that gets played in Boise is the Idaho Famous Potato Bowl.

So, watch yourself. We KNOW crazy from the potato farm.

As for the restrictions, as you've probably gathered, I'm kind of lovin' it because it means I don't have to do a tedious commute each day. Eventually, skiing will start up, and I'll have more reason to do the commute, since I can then go skiing after work (work is between me and the ski area), and it would be better if things opened up by next spring, but for now, I'm all for it.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth.
    You should acknowledge using someone else's work.

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth. – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, stated by Sherlock Holmes.

King of sapila

So you are saying that when I say:
    To be or not to be I must acknowledge Shakespeare
    Let sleeping dog's lie - Proverbia Vulgalia et Latina
    My God, my God, why hast Thou forsaken me - Jesus
    Sht happens - The Predator ?

Or can we agree that the phrase I wrote is so commonly used that I really didn't have to acknowledge no one?

Potato is one of the words that although is similar to Greek Patata it's actually not Greek as they where found, if I am not mistaken on the early Columbus travels?
    But, but, we overused them so much here. Baked fried streamed on Greek Musaka on Greek Pita and all kind of salads ...Mmmmm....

Page 87 of 137 FirstFirst ... 37778485868788899097 ... LastLast