Page 59 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9495657585960616269109 ... LastLast
Results 2,321 to 2,360 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Went out today into our new maskless world
    Have you guys been wearing masks outside or only inside? Wearing them outside has never really been a thing over here.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

I would also advice not to feel foolish not wearing a mask outside
    Yeah very few people wear masks outside in the UK, I certainly do not wear a mask outdoors. All the evidence says that really you dont need to wear them outside.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Have you guys been wearing masks outside or only inside? Wearing them outside has never really been a thing over here.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    Yeah very few people wear masks outside in the UK, I certainly do not wear a mask outdoors. All the evidence says that really you dont need to wear them outside.
    Even from the start, I only really wore mine inside. Ehh... sort of. I'd put it on in the car, but that's because it was easier to do so. I wear glasses, so there's some adjusting I have to do to prevent fogging. BUt for the most part, I'd only wear it outside if I was in a group or something.
    While I've taken the pandemic seriously, I haven't treated it as a panic either. I wore the mask because I fell into that "at risk" category due to other health issues. But I also didn't go aorund sanitizing everything that came into the house. I limited how often I went out, but I didn't stop going out completely. But I still took what I felt like what I thought were reasonable precautions for me and my family. Now we're all vaxxed as well. I figure at this point, given all that's gone on around us, if we were going to get it, we would have gotten it by now. But we've come out the other side unscathed. We listened to what was out there, took what we knew and filtered things. We knew masks weren't 100% effective, but that wasn't the point. Any amount of reduction was good. Social distancing... well, hell as an introvert that doesn't like to social mingle in the first place, that was fine by me. I hate large groups in the first place. Double masking.... eeeehhh.... that's where we were kinda like, "I don't know about that... at this point, does it matter any more?" That's also why we didn't sanitize our groceries or anything when we go it home... because we'd already handled it at the store... so what was the point by then? If we were going to get it, we would have gotten it at the store.
    Do I trust the vaccine? Sure. Do I feel it was adequately tested? Sure. All they really did was basically implement the Agile approach rather than the drawn out Waterfall approach that usually spends years in regulatory hell. I have to admit, that was one thing Trump got right, Operation Warp Speed ... gutting the regulatory process down and speeding it up to where it needed to be. Honestly, I think the ideal balance should be somewhere between where it was and where it is currently. The regulations is part of the reason of the high cost of prescriptions. All three stages of trials were completed. So there's no guinea pig testing that's going on on the public. This isn't another Tuskegee Airmen Experiment. Stage 3 was completed and that's where the final efficacy rates are confirmed and validated.
    And as for having to get another shot in a year or something... so what? We get flu shots every year, right? So in the spring, get your covid shot, in the fall, get your flu shot. Who knows, at some point, someone will think to make a combination vaccine where you can get your flu and covid all in one shot (pun intended). So what. That's the thing about certain viruses. They never seem to completely go away.
    If want to mask, fine, go ahead. If you don't, fine too. But don't do either out of fear or spite. Also, don't forget that things change over time. The science changes what we know. Some of the things we thought we knew a year ago may or may not be true. So do take that into consideration. We were all working off of what we knew at the time. Hell, even I was optimistic that we'd have it done and wrapped up by mid summer, and we'd be back to normal by the fall. Ooops. Guess not. Ok. So now here we are. We're not infallible. Neither are the experts. And unfortunately we also had a number of country leaders who also bungled their response to this crisis and made things worse. We can whine and moan about it, or we can take in what we know, do our best to filter out the crap, and work with what we feel is the best information and move on.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Actually only inside except when walking from car into an inside location or using a drive-through vendor's window.

I was talking about our maskless indoors now. If we have been fully vaccinated masks are no longer required except for a handful of indoor exceptions. But it feels wrong.

Boise had a rule about wearing masks outside. The rest of the state did not. I live in one place, and sometimes work in Boise. At least, my office is there, but I telecommuted a fair amount prior to the pandemic, and now even more so. It made things a bit confusing. Just to make it a bit more extreme, the building I work in is owned by a hospital, though it only has clerical type offices, not medical offices. Naturally, they were more emphatic than the government.

The outside mask rule was rescinded, the building rule hasn't changed any, as far as I can tell, and in other businesses it's a mixed bag. For the rest of the state, mask wearing outside was never a thing...for most people. I noticed somebody driving through a parking lot, wearing a mask, yesterday. They were alone in their car, but they were in a parking lot. Did they just decide not to bother taking it off? Do they normally wear a mask while driving alone? It's weird, I'm just not sure which way it is weird.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I find mask wearing difficult.

However, being necessary (until recently, and even then still necessary or common courtesy in many scenarios) I usually wear the mask while driving to the destination in order to acclimate to wearing it. I stay home for weeks at a stretch without masking.

I have seen a lot of neighborhood walkers over the pandemic and they almost invariably wear masks outside. My guess would be because they know they'll be passing others on the sidewalk. But if I shovel snow or mow the grass I don't wear a mask.

Until yesterday I never went into any store, doctor's office, etc. without a mask since mid-March of last year. I felt so awkward I'll likely go back to that.

King of sapila

In Greece our pawn of Germans prime minister passed a law issuing a fine of 300Euros for not wearing mask in general, except at you house.
    That's why I see a lot of people using them outside, probably out of habit, but mostly on their jaws.
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

PowerPoster

Did they just decide not to bother taking it off? Do they normally wear a mask while driving alone? It's weird, I'm just not sure which way it is weird.
    Lol, Or just forgot, I've done that several times and it's a workout transferring from my chair to the drivers seat. You'd think I would notice.

I feel for people that have to wear masks at work, especially hard physical work. So just wearing one when I go into a store or office seems trivial. Still there are plenty of people that whine about that little inconvenience.

In Ca. the mask mandate will stay in affect till June 15th. That's fine with me. The CDC new guidelines seems like a political maneuver to get more people to get vaccinated. Wish the CDC would stay out of politics.

I almost forgot to remove my mask when eating a cupcake. That would have been messy.

King of sapila

It's not a little inconvenience btw. I dare you to try and use a mask for 5 minutes in Greek summer under 40c

Yeah, your summers are probably like the Florida Keys, where I used to live: Hot and ALWAYS humid.

King of sapila

Thankfully it's not humid, it's dry, that's why we can stand 40 - 45c and not dying.It's probably the best weather you can get on that high temperatures as it also has winds blowing to a refreshing point some days.
    But yes, it's really hot sometimes to the point that you need to be constantly at the sea till 8pm and sometimes more.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    It's not a little inconvenience btw. I dare you to try and use a mask for 5 minutes in Greek summer under 40c
    You'd lose. Summer time here is routinely over 100F for weeks sometimes. 105F is very common in July and August. 5 minutes, lol

Thankfully it's not humid, it's dry, that's why we can stand 40 - 45c and not dying.It's probably the best weather you can get on that high temperatures as it also has winds blowing to a refreshing point some days.
    But yes, it's really hot sometimes to the point that you need to be constantly at the sea till 8pm and sometimes more.
    I'm surprised to hear that you say it's dry. What is the humidity? The Florida Keys were at the outer edge of what was possible, since the humidity remained above 90%, and often above 95% most of the time, but I wouldn't expect Greece to have dry weather. Doesn't that warm sea provide plenty of humidity? It's pretty humid here, at the moment. We're at 22%.

King of sapila

Yes it's surprising, I don't know how it is but I'm not a weather expert.
    My cottage house is 50 meters from the sea but there is no humidity. At least even if there is humidity per say on the readings, we don't have that "I can't breath" feeling.
    Here is some current readings https://meteo.gr/cf.cfm?city_id=68
    Maybe the Aegean being a close sea in contrast to the Pacific?
    Last edited by sapator; May 18th, 2021 at 05:27 PM.

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    You'd lose. Summer time here is routinely over 100F for weeks sometimes. 105F is very common in July and August. 5 minutes, lol
    Well kudos to you, here we have 40c, with some variations, from June to late September. I can't breath with the mask. Maybe cuz I'm whity white white makes me less tolerant to heat.

Edit: I've also witnessed some 47-49c but that is not the day to day basis. There is an easy fix if you are not at the sea and your AC is broken (guess who). You just open the freezer and stick your head for a couple of minutes, take a cold bath, stick your head, repeat the routine
    Last edited by sapator; May 18th, 2021 at 05:34 PM.

We can get to 115, but we're a desert. It's kind of like being in an oven: Utterly dry and super hot.

King of sapila

Well we certainly are not a desert so if we are able to (especially weekends when we do not work, but at least with the lockdown now, I will be able to go for a couple of weeks), pfuuuffff!! Into the sea.
    That's probably why there is a "migration madness" in the summer. Ever country that is at north or middle Europe or ever Russia is coming to the Mediterranean for tourism.
    Ah, funny stuff. Mediterranean means "middle earth" but I see no Hobbits, well some drunk ones here and there but they seem taller.

PowerPoster

I suspect the name we know now as "Mediterranean" in many languages probably was meant to call it "the sea in the middle of the world." After all, sometime after the previous civilization fell several tens of millennia ago people came to believe the world was flat and centered there. By 100 BCE or so this fallacy had been expelled again (probably by Greek astronomers and philosophers) and became published fact by 10 BCE or so. But by then the name had stuck.

King of sapila

Well I didn't look it up so maybe it is what you say but middle comes from Greek "Mesi" (not the player) meaning, er, middle, and Terra comes from Greek "teras" that means monster or marvel, meaning marvelous territory but in Latin was shifted for earth, so...

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    We can get to 115, but we're a desert. It's kind of like being in an oven: Utterly dry and super hot.
    That surprises me. I'd think you were a little to far north for that. We may get a few days of 110 each year but not many if any. I prefer it to 95F and 95 humidity. I visited my sister in Houston and it was smothering. Got up at 4am to go fishing and it was 85F and humid. It sucked. I guess you get use to the weather you live in.

I'm guessing Greece's climate is as strongly informed by it's mountains as by the seas. Mountains tend to suck moisture upwards and then dump it as rainfall. Florida doesn't have that effect, I don't think. Also, aren't there huge swamps in Florida? So although both Florida and Greece are coastal, I imagine the surface area available for evaporation is much higher in Florida.

I used to live in ***** Nigeria which, like Florida, is pretty flat and on the coast. Worse, it's on a big river Delta so it's basically a bunch of islands connected by creeks and rivers. It was hella humid.

Anyway, the answers about mask wearing are about as I'd have expected and seem sensible. Not needed outside (unless you're in a crowd - which you really should avoid anyway) but should be worn inside.

Edit> Weird. ***** is banned by the profanity filter. L_a_g_o_s.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; May 19th, 2021 at 03:11 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Well I found "law abiding gun owners" as one slang meaning, but who can say why it is on the blacklist?

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    That surprises me. I'd think you were a little to far north for that. We may get a few days of 110 each year but not many if any. I prefer it to 95F and 95 humidity. I visited my sister in Houston and it was smothering. Got up at 4am to go fishing and it was 85F and humid. It sucked. I guess you get use to the weather you live in.
    It's quite rare, thankfully. We tend to get over 100 every year, but only for a week, or so.

It's not latitude, though, it has to do with orographic effects. The mountains on either side of the valley force air masses upwards, which causes them to cool and drop any moisture. That airmass then sinks into the valley, warming and drying.

King of sapila

I remember Funky been in Greece and complimenting the climate.
    But then again, any climate is better than the British one

PowerPoster

Florida doesn't have that effect, I don't think. Also, aren't there huge swamps in Florida?
    That's part of it. It seems all the US state that border the Gulf of Mexico are extremely humid. The Gulf water is very warm, in August between 85 - 87. There is plenty of rain also. The Gulf Stream play a major role in the worlds weather, even England.

Anyway, that's my guess.

I remember Funky been in Greece and complimenting the climate.
    But then again, any climate is better than the British one
    The great drizzly, green, dump of a land? I actually kind of like that. This place is a bit TOO dry. I grew up in New England, which had plenty of rain, summer heat, summer humidity, winters of cold and snow. A nice mix.

Florida isn't so much a swamp as a giant river with almost no gradient and therefore almost no current. It's flowing towards the sea, though. It acts as both a giant evaporating pan, and a giant solar concentrator. We measured water temperatures over 40c, a few times. That meant that, if you managed to find a way to get cold (perhaps in a driving rain), you could warm up by jumping into the water.

Oddly, as flat and low as Florida is, the mainland still drives storms. It doesn't take much elevation to start the air rising. It may just be heating of the land mass that does it. Whatever the cause, the result is that the mainland gets considerably more rain than the Keys, which are an island chain off the southern tip of the state. We could sit on a patio and watch the lightning storms over the mainland. Kind of nice, really.

King of sapila

There is also a problem with the hurricanes over there.
    Mediterranean is a closed sea so we are spared but I see hurricanes over there every year that cost a lot of lives.

Yeah, and tornados...and lightning, when you get right down to it.

My understanding is that the monster F5 tornados of the US midwest are unique to that area. Tornados in the rest of the world are FAR smaller, less devastating, and less common. Little more than oversized whirlwinds. Why, it makes me want to wax positively Trumpian: Our tornadoes are HUUUUGE. We have the biggest tornados of anybody. Nobody has tornados that are anywhere close to the size that ours are.

For lightning, I believe that Florida leads the US by a wide margin for number of strikes per year (there are other parts of the country that have more strikes, just not LIGHTNING strikes). I think there is somewhere else in the world that tops Florida, though I can't remember where, so I think Florida is #1 in the US, but not #1 in the world.

We don't have the biggest hurricanes, either. Typhoons (same storm, different ocean) can get larger. Now, if we could get one of those storms to suck up the right kind of bacteria, and spread it widely with devastating effect, we could have a Typhoid Typhoon, which would be REALLY bad. It would be worse than a Sharknadoo.

British weather is a bit crap but at least it's not trying to kill us.

The one thing I learned while living in Florida: EVERYTHING down there is trying to kill you. The plants, the animals, the weather, EVERYTHING!!

PowerPoster

The Inflating of Fears

The United States is experiencing the fastest increase in prices since at least the peak of the subprime boom back in 2008 – in April inflation was already up 4.2% from a year earlier – generating waves of criticism for the Biden administration, whose spending plans are credited with artificially spiking demand.
    He goes on to say why this isn't all bad, and was inevitable. He also goes into how the impact will differ based on where you live, as well as how US coastal colonialism of the rest of America will end.

Nor are Americans staying put. The Boomers, America’s largest-ever generation, are moving to warmer locales as they retire en masse. The Millennials, America’s second-largest-ever generation, are moving away from the major coastal cities to places where they can afford single-family homes so they can raise their new families. No one wants to be in a bus or subway everyday where they might be exposed to COVID. Collectively, mass relocations are adding huge demand pressures to any and all suburban locations, particularly those in the South, Southwest, and Mountain West.
    So the nightmare may be ending.

Folks, this is it. Globalization is over. Even if the Americans decided that they wanted to continue to patrol the world, even if the Americans could keep making the world safe for international trade, global demographics and global capital tell us the page has already turned. Global aging meant that global consumption and investment was always going to collapse this decade, and then coronavirus moved the end forward. Most countries will never recover economically to where they were at the beginning of 2020 when the health crisis struck.

I've heard prophesies of doom for a long time. Keep calling it, and eventually you'll be right.

I feel that some inflation OUGHT to happen. A boost in the interest rate wouldn't be unwelcome to me (primarily a saver), though it would be to a whole lot of people. Still, the Fed feels that this inflationary bump is transitory. I'm not sure that I agree, but the last few decades has shown us one thing beyond a shadow of a doubt: WE DON'T KNOW!! Even after the fact we can't be sure what it was we saw, let alone having a clear picture of what is coming.

I'd sacrifice a sheep and study the entrails, but I'm not really into mutton. Therefore, I sacrificed some fish on a bed of rice with a touch of wasabi. I didn't learn much, though. Maybe it really does require a sheep???

PowerPoster

It looked more descriptive than predictive to me.

PowerPoster

Trump's export restrictions expired last March. Now over 2 months later under pressure Biden has relaxed his extension of restrictions. This means a few more jobs in Kalamazoo making the Pfizer vaccine and more in Grand Rapids in the packaging and shipping company Pfizer uses.

The change means supplies will start rolling out from Michigan to Mexico and Canada, relieving pressure on supplies from facilities in Belgium.

I haven't heard a lot about Mexico, but Ontario has been having trouble. There are major supply chains (and thus truck drivers and commuters) running through Windsor and Sarnia.

Dear America: Don’t want those vaccines? Canada does

The truth is that Windsorians willing to drive through Zona Infectada (a.k.a. Detroit) into counties to the west have been able to get vaccinated by county health departments for weeks now. Detroit itself has a problem in that it has the lowest vaccine uptake in Michigan so health officials worry about giving people any excuse for staying away.

That's kind of funny, considering that Canada bought somewhere around nine doses for every person in the country. What happened to them?

PowerPoster

They Had Leftover COVID Vaccines. So They Offered Them To Their Canadian Neighbors

David Musyj, president of Windsor Regional Hospital in Ontario, hopes to access vaccination at a larger scale for residents of his community, also home to 3,000 health care personnel who work on the U.S. side of the border. His hospital system has received patients transferred from the hard-hit Toronto region in recent weeks.

Ontario, Canada's most populous province, recently extended its stay-at-home order to June, citing high cases per capita and positivity rates.

PowerPoster

Keeping infantilized animal slaves has consequences:

New human coronavirus that originated in dogs identified

Researchers have identified and completed the genetic analysis of a newly discovered coronavirus – one that has evolved from a coronavirus that afflicts dogs to infect humans and may contribute to respiratory symptoms.

The discovery of the first dog coronavirus found to have crossed over to infecting people underscores the treacherous nature of coronaviruses and the need to monitor animal viruses as a way of predicting possible threats to public health, researchers say.
    “We don’t really have evidence right now that this virus can cause severe illness in adults,” Vlasova said, citing the fact that only one person in the study found to have been infected with the new coronavirus was an adult. “I cannot rule out the possibility that at some point this new coronavirus will become a prevalent human pathogen. Once a coronavirus is able to infect a human, all bets are off.”

King of sapila

Meh,
    You'll find something experimental to vaccinate again.
    The problem is the parrots. Infected to humans would be very annoying. "Polly wanna look at those earphones, Polly wanna look at those earphones, scraaaa"

Page 59 of 137 FirstFirst ... 9495657585960616269109 ... LastLast