Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 206067686970
Results 2,761 to 2,766 of 2766

Thread: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

PowerPoster

Re: [RESOLVED] Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Well the CDC has moved the goalposts again. I guess whatever it takes to make the west and south feel good about their climbing case rates, eh? But it also obscures the slight climb experienced elsewhere as well.

They also seem to be saying "masks on" now right after saying "masks off." Derr!

Before Delta inevitably starts spreading fast here too, I decided it was worth making a monthly grocery run. I need a change from dried and frozen stuff anyway, as well as the few things I buy canned. Bean, radish, and alfalfa sprouts are tasty but I need some fresh broccoli, tomatoes, peppers, plums, citrus, and so on.

Wow. Parts of the produce section were bare shelves. I found more or less what I was after but the whole section was condensed with fewer choices. Beef and chicken options were also much thinner.

I had also taken a look at the Taco Bell web site, thinking, hey, maybe on the way home grab a burrito. Wonder what they are selling now? It's pretty rare for me to go there, but they are open late...

Selected the local store: big banner claiming supply problems. I wasn't even sure the local store is open at all.

I just heard a good quote: "The C in CDC doesn't stand for Communication."

Yeah, ain't that the truth. Having worked with scientists my whole life, I certainly recognize what they are doing. What we are seeing is their internal discussions being somewhat conducted in public. There will be different groups internally having several different discussions within groups and between groups. The spokespeople are then being given some kind of summary out of those internal discussions, and are passing them on. Of course, that's not a great way to provide guidance.

I doubt that Idaho will do anything at all. This wave will wash through us and do as it will, while we studiously attempt to deny that it is happening. There is pretty much no chance that the state will take any action beyond what it is doing. Any attempt at mandates of any sort will be vigorously opposed.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post

Yeah, ain't that the truth. Having worked with scientists my whole life, I certainly recognize what they are doing. What we are seeing is their internal discussions being somewhat conducted in public. There will be different groups internally having several different discussions within groups and between groups. The spokespeople are then being given some kind of summary out of those internal discussions, and are passing them on. Of course, that's not a great way to provide guidance.

I doubt that Idaho will do anything at all. This wave will wash through us and do as it will, while we studiously attempt to deny that it is happening. There is pretty much no chance that the state will take any action beyond what it is doing. Any attempt at mandates of any sort will be vigorously opposed.
    Faux news says the real problem is all the illegal aliens crossing the border and spreading covid all over the states. If Biden would just put back Trump's border rules everything would be fine.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

I'm not sure Biden and his cronies have a clue, really. Or maybe their agenda just isn't obvious.

They seem to be fast-tracking deportations on the one hand, loading others onto buses to infect the rest of the country, and re-importing others they already sent home earlier (particularly former dogs of the military). Biden Loves Mayhem.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Or perhaps it means just that.

It seems to be used as a propaganda outlet. Some criticize it for delaying the reporting of several metrics and then "curating" them before release.

I'm beginning to wonder if their orders go something like "We are running out of gas. We've dumped bales of cash and we still see alarming trends in the real economy. People are not going back to work and soon the rent, student loan, and many other amnesties will end but nobody is accepting personal responsibility. Most of that stimmicash is getting blown on cosmetics, more colors of sneakers, video games, big-screen TVs, plastic dolls, and shelves to sit them on. Flutter that pedal and hypermile this bus."

We WANT people to blow that stimmicash on cosmetics, more colors of sneakers, and so on. Our economy is largely driven by consumer consumption. Economists are spending much more time fretting about the fact that US citizens are NOT spending that cash than what they are spending it on. The savings rate in the US is unusually high, at the moment. The Economist has at least one article per week that mentions that figure, usually in the context of some economists trying to get people to spend more...or what happens if they do (no two economists can ever agree on anything, so if one says up, the next is sure to say down).

Still, I get your point, I just don't think that's quite it. If you want a bunch of scientists to dither...just let them speak. That's all I'm hearing from the CDC. If you're going to lead, then you have to make a decision. It doesn't have to be right, but it has to be decisive. All we are getting is dithering.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Page 70 of 70 FirstFirst ... 206067686970