Page 5 of 137 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

aaaaand it'll proly roll over to the next sprint too....

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

I must already be in self isolation because I have absolutely no idea what that post means.

PowerPoster

Just throwing this out there - IF the spread breaks out of the current handful of locations (Washington, California, and New York) and becomes hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands of new cases daily in the USA - the medical system will be at risk (to put it mildly) of being unable to effectively handle all cases.

That being said, there will still be people in car accidents that need treating, still be women giving birth, still be people having heart attacks and strokes, cancer patients, people needing dialysis, etc.

My point - if you have ANY sort of upcoming medical needs like an annual physical, dermatology exam, hell even dental work - see if you can get it scheduled in the very near future.

Good luck everyone.

It already has broken out, it just hasn't been reported, yet. A colleague of mine said his wife was exposed, so he's quarantined himself, and I'm not in a state that has reported any cases.

Overall, though, if the virus dies down as the weather warms, we're in a good space. The weather is warming a bit too fast, this year. I'm more interested in what happens next fall. It is generally expected that the virus will pop up again. Could be interesting.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

I recommend those in the USA keep an eye on this Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_c..._United_States

One thing of note. From late January to almost the end of February the number of infected individuals was quite static. Those were all of the "explainable" cases where people had traveled to China and returned sick.

Since February 28th, the number of known infected has almost exactly been on a "double every 2 days" exponential curve. Granted, that's a small sample size of dates. But that is a very concerning growth rate. If testing can keep up with demand, it will be interesting how long that growth rate holds. If the testing system eventually gets overwhelmed, there might be an artificial decrease in rate of new infections.

Based on the stories out there of people breaking quarantine, infected people being accidentally released back into the public, a lack of preparedness in how to protect those working with potentially infected patients - I don't see this slowing down here any time soon. Officials keep saying that the USA is the best prepared country to handle something like this - no way. No way. I've worked in and around healthcare organizations for many years. I've seen how things function. They have a really strong facade of being able to handle anything. And sure, any one health institution can usually handle a brief, localized emergency. But this has the potential of being bigger than anything since the Spanish Flu, and unfortunately, humanity as a whole has essentially forgotten how to "rough it" in the 100 years since then. Here where I live, even if there is something like a multi-car car accident, often times some of the patients are transported to hospitals a half hour away just to limit the load on the local hospital. And that isn't even considering that there will be many doctors, nurses, and general staff that get infected as well, and who will be there to fill in for them? All hands on deck, but many of the "hands" are the ones now needing care!

By the end of next a week I'm certain that there will be verified infections in all 50 states with the number of infected nationwide in the thousands.

March 2020 - in like a lamb, out like a Griffin.

I really hope I'm wrong.

PowerPoster

USA - best prepared! We got this! Yay!!!

https://twitter.com/elisewho/status/1235711859140919296
    https://twitter.com/julialindau/stat...14275752267776

Ok, that's enough from me for a while. Stay safe, healthy, and clean everyone.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

I don't see this slowing down here any time soon
    Spring. Our best hope is that warming weather dampens the virus (it generally does with most viruses).

By the way, is testing free in the US or do you have to pay for it (possibly via insurance)? I ask because someone (Matt Hancock, I think) was being interviewed on Radio 4 this morning saying "thank goodness we have an NHS where testing is free". He seemed to imply, though didn't explicitly say, that in the US it wasn't free. If it isn't then testing for this, if not treatment, really does feel like something it would be sensible to fund at a government level.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Spring. Our best hope is that warming weather dampens the virus (it generally does with most viruses).

By the way, is testing free in the US or do you have to pay for it (possibly via insurance)? I ask because someone (Matt Hancock, I think) was being interviewed on Radio 4 this morning saying "thank goodness we have an NHS where testing is free". He seemed to imply, though didn't explicitly say, that in the US it wasn't free. If it isn't then testing for this, if not treatment, really does feel like something it would be sensible to fund at a government level.
    I can't imagine anything in the US regarding health care is free. I believe right now you need a doctor's order to be tested. That costs right there. Since so many people in the US don't have health care and live paycheck to paycheck I'm willing to bet a lot of people will be walking around and going to work sick.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

Coronavirus myths, debunked: A cattle vaccine, bioweapons and a $3,000 test

A coronavirus test costs $3,000

Nope. Actually, it's free. A claim that it costs patients in the U.S. more than $3,000 to test for COVID-19 originated on Twitter, where it amassed more than 250,000 likes and retweets. It became a meme that spread on Facebook.

In actuality, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has authorized the use of two tests – one from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and one from the New York State Department of Public Health – and neither agency charges patients for the test.

– Saranac Hale Spencer, FactCheck.org
    Are there associated costs? Perhaps, but it seems very likely that we'll see a push to move free testing out as widely as possible quickly. Perhaps into clinics set up to keep people away from general health care facilities to limit the exposure to vulnerable populations having conditions that can make them more vulnerable to the infection.
    Last edited by dilettante; Mar 6th, 2020 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    So where can I pick one up

Nothing like that is free, it's just a question of who pays the cost. Free to the consumer makes a whole lot of sense. Anything else is sure to be underutilized, but somebody is paying....and perhaps more importantly, somebody is profiting. The bigger question is anybody profiteering on this? There's nothing like a bit of panic to provide a business opportunity. We likely won't find out about it up front, though.

Looks like MS has fired the first shot...
    https://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-i...hourly-workers

Wonder who else will follow along, and when...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

and neither agency charges patients for the test
    Good. I get (though don't agree with) the US model of charging for healthcare but testing for infection by a pandemic is really about the benefit of everyone rather than the benefit of the individual. It makes sense that the everyone (for which read: the state) should cover it.

I was kinda surprised when I heard the dude on radio 4 this morning imply that it wasn't free in the US.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

My state now has its first confirmed case. Health and government officials putting on a confident face about it. The person was apparently out and about for days while sick until their symptoms got worse.

"Where there's one, there's another...and another...and another." - Planet of the Apes (1968)

I self isolated over the weekend. I figure, if I'm going to have to do it for 14 days, I might as well break it up into more manageable chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    I self isolated over the weekend. I figure, if I'm going to have to do it for 14 days, I might as well break it up into more manageable chunks.
    I already put in my fourteen days at home...I wasn't sick; but I wanted to get it over with ahead of time

I thought the advice was not to stockpile. If you do all your self isolating now, there won't be enough self isolating for everyone else.

Yeah, don't be greedy.

I self isolated for most of the weekend, as well. Meant to be productive, but I isolated myself from that, as well.

What really amuses me is the utter run on toilet paper. Of all the things to stockpile. We'll be starving to death from lack of food, but at least we'll be able to wipe for the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Yeah, don't be greedy.

I self isolated for most of the weekend, as well. Meant to be productive, but I isolated myself from that, as well.

What really amuses me is the utter run on toilet paper. Of all the things to stockpile. We'll be starving to death from lack of food, but at least we'll be able to wipe for the next decade.
    Well...that isn't a bad idea if the whole world is going to sh@t around you!

In light of this predicament we are facing, what sort of "updates" and "antivirus" thingy could we install to ourselves? Should we start taking vitamins to boost our immune system? Do some physical activities?
    Regards,

â„¢

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Quote Originally Posted by dee-u View Post
    In light of this predicament we are facing, what sort of "updates" and "antivirus" thingy could we install to ourselves? Should we start taking vitamins to boost our immune system? Do some physical activities?
    Well, I certainly don't recommend Avast... Norton is a bit iffy though... and depending on where you work, you may already have McAfee Enterprise installed.
    I'd also be wary of any unknown persons issuing random handshaking protocols... Be sure your firewall is set to a minimum of 666F .. or is it C?
    Be sure to wash your bits in the bitbucket and use appropriate sanitation techniques, especially when dealing with SQL... can't let your data be corrupted.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Well, I certainly don't recommend Avast... Norton is a bit iffy though... and depending on where you work, you may already have McAfee Enterprise installed.
    I'd also be wary of any unknown persons issuing random handshaking protocols... Be sure your firewall is set to a minimum of 666F .. or is it C?
    Be sure to wash your bits in the bitbucket and use appropriate sanitation techniques, especially when dealing with SQL... can't let your data be corrupted.

-tg
    Looks like we should use UDP when conversing with others now
    Regards,

â„¢

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

Name:  image.png
Views: 1384
Size:  370.0 KB

-tg

PowerPoster

Actually TCP synchronizes via relayed winks and nods, not handshakes. The latter is a misnomer, there is no physical connection between endpoints except in rare cases and even dumb hubs are no longer common. There just aren't that many coax networks around these days and there is nearly always at least a switch to provide isolation.

Darn good thing we aren't still using token ring networks. Just imagine how easy it would be to transmit a virus if everybody was handling that token, then passing it on.

So while I wasn't looking - I was actually doing work at the office for once... apparently New York went all in.
    https://apnews.com/96e87b81f05f7ec54fc3e0ad152bd25c

-tg

I was wondering what the National Guard would do. I was thinking flame throwers, but it looks like they didn't go quite THAT far, yet.

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

"Go big or go home"
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Yeah. If you can't solve your problems with a flame thrower...you have some SERIOUS problems.

PowerPoster

Well good news for New York. Its politicians plan to use prison slave labor to manufacture hand sanitizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I was wondering what the National Guard would do. I was thinking flame throwers, but it looks like they didn't go quite THAT far, yet.
    he is sending the National Guard to scrub public places
    Looks like they are going to scrub public places? Using a brush probably?
    Regards,

â„¢

I wonder if they'll be scrubbing private places, too?

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Well good news for New York. Its politicians plan to use prison slave labor to manufacture hand sanitizer.
    Sounds good to me. Make them actually repay their debt to society seeing how tax payers are paying for their housing, food and medical while incarcerated.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Sounds good to me. Make them actually repay their debt to society seeing how tax payers are paying for their housing, food and medical while incarcerated.
    I doubt if they are "making" them do it. So not only are tax payers are paying for their housing, food and medical while incarcerated, they are also paying them a wage. I think that is pretty much true anyway, for instance, when they make license plates.

OK then...it is getting personal for me. I filled out a "can you work from home" general survey sent to the whole company. Working in IT I am all set up. I'm in Columbus Ohio and OSU classes are going on line. I hit a site for MREs (meals ready to eat) and they are back logged. The flu is getting personal to me...

PowerPoster

I hadn't seen much "crazy" here until tonight when I went to the grocery store. It was just a bit ago, at a time when there are usually few people there.

For some reason, parts of the frozen food section were empty. When I got to the front the checkout lines were... lines. Something I rarely encounter that time of night. Some of the people were buying mass quantities of toilet paper. Others seemed to be loading up on beer and wine.

The worst part is that seeing that almost made me run back to the back of the store for TP myself. Not mass quantities, but enough for a couple weeks.

I hadn't seen much "crazy" here until tonight when I went to the grocery store. It was just a bit ago, at a time when there are usually few people there.

For some reason, parts of the frozen food section were empty. When I got to the front the checkout lines were... lines. Something I rarely encounter that time of night. Some of the people were buying mass quantities of toilet paper. Others seemed to be loading up on beer and wine.

The worst part is that seeing that almost made me run back to the back of the store for TP myself. Not mass quantities, but enough for a couple weeks.
    I need rubbing alcohol for medical reasons...It has been sold out in local stores for days now.

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    I need rubbing alcohol for medical reasons...It has been sold out in local stores for days now.
    Found out last night that at our local walmart.... walmart.... Let me say that again.... Wal-Mart... you can't buy bleach anymore w/o a valid medical reason.
    Bleach.
    Wal-Mart.

Let that sink in.

This is getting out of hand. At least so far our Governor has sated that at the state level, he's not going to order the closing of anything. It's up to the local munis/districts to decide if they want to. We've got a major band concert (high school, all state thing) this weekend... there was some wory that it would be cancelled. the hosting school has said "bring it on! we're open!" .... and now.... sigh... we''ve now got one parent that seems to have blinked and asked if it was mandatory because they're worried about the virus. Sigh. I want to reply... I really do.... You know... at this point, yer kid is just as likely to get it at the band concert as he is at school, so what difference does it make....also being in the under 20 range, he's got a better chance at recovery than you do.... please lady.....

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Found out last night that at our local walmart.... walmart.... Let me say that again.... Wal-Mart... you can't buy bleach anymore w/o a valid medical reason.
    Bleach.
    Wal-Mart.

Let that sink in.

This is getting out of hand. At least so far our Governor has sated that at the state level, he's not going to order the closing of anything. It's up to the local munis/districts to decide if they want to. We've got a major band concert (high school, all state thing) this weekend... there was some wory that it would be cancelled. the hosting school has said "bring it on! we're open!" .... and now.... sigh... we''ve now got one parent that seems to have blinked and asked if it was mandatory because they're worried about the virus. Sigh. I want to reply... I really do.... You know... at this point, yer kid is just as likely to get it at the band concert as he is at school, so what difference does it make....also being in the under 20 range, he's got a better chance at recovery than you do.... please lady.....

-tg
    I'm somewhere between some of the Draconian measures being taken and saying just let it run it's course. I'm sixty-five so I guess I'm in the risk group. I don't think "shutting the world down" will stop it. Probably common sense measures the CDC and WHO recommend is the way to go.

Page 5 of 137 FirstFirst ... 23456781555105 ... LastLast