Page 33 of 137 FirstFirst ... 23303132333435364383133 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,320 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Actually, Dilettante is pretty consistent in being against everybody. It's not just politics, either. He's against .NET, he's against VB6, and he's against every other language, as well. All purpose curmudgeons aren't a bad thing, but they'll be opposed to your sacred cows, as well as all the others.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster

In https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....=1#post5487537 I inserted a short video clip.

There we see young Ryan going off to live with his aunt, a "nice person."

She ends up selling him to a brain research lab, which causes a tumor that finally kills the boy:

I'm no Clark Kent, but I try. However as Clark often found... some people don't want to be saved.

PowerPoster

Sh,

It looks like we've found one thing Dil likes, Smallville.

Smallville? Big of him.

So, now there's a bit of evidence to suggest that wearing a mask reduces the severity of cases contracted by the mask wearer. The only way that seems like it could be possible, to me, is if that bit about a "moderate infection" was true. You can get the virus, but you get a lower initial dose.

PowerPoster

I don't think anybody covered this, so I'm sorry to have waited so long before suggesting it to any who might benefit or just be bored. Lockdowns don't seem to even exist for a lot of people now, while others of us are still being cautious.

I had forgotten that I used to do this years ago, but in about May I ran across my old sprouting jar. I got some "spicy mix" seeds online pretty cheap and have been enjoying this small source of fresh crunch and nutrients since then. I even set up a second jar and alternate so that once one is emptied the other is ready to eat.

I like the tip in the video below about exposing the sprouting jar to sunlight for a few hours once they're just ready. It does help green things up a little.

While this was shot in the dark for some reason, it is fairly short and complete.

If you need more detail on choosing, acquiring, and storing seed, measuring seed by container size, general care during sprouting, etc. I'm sure you can track that down.

PowerPoster

BTW: You can get nuts with this, but most of the rest of the ideas might be more for the Winter months. Right now most of us can/are growing things outdoors.

Might be worth a watch because many of us are already nearing the last leg of the growing season which might prompt some planning. If this Winter leads to additional lockdowns you might remember this and find some inspiration in it.

I just planted a second crop of beans. I've been really liking the beans I got out of the first crop, but they're running out. Only a few more meals then they'll be done. You might even say I'm a has bean.

PowerPoster

I assume you are talking about green beans/string beans rather than dry beans. Most people don't really maintain enough garden space to make drying beans for storage practical.

But you could probably use a food dehydrator on green beans too, at least if you run them through a slicer. Starting to get messy though unless you are serious.

Fresh is best of course and it's hard to beat growing your own. I've only done a few crops of radishes this year in a small plot. I had considered doing some container tomatoes on the patio but then I ended up in the hospital which messed up my spring routine.

I'm not serious. At least I try not to be.

I installed a bunch of raised beds this spring for weed control. That gives me specific sizing for growing things. One bed for this, one bed for that. It's kind of orderly. These are all green beans of two different varieties, chopped and cooked with a bit of salt and lemon juice. Very nice.

The peas were good, and I've had a few tomatoes. I'll have to do a LOT more tomatoes next year. I screwed up that planting for no good reason. I only planted three when I clearly had room for FAR more. Should have planted a dozen, at least. The corn is not yet ready, and may fail anyways. I can get fungus on corn ears, which makes it unappealing. If that happens again, I'll skip corn and just do more beans, next year.

PowerPoster

I only planted three when I clearly had room for FAR more.
    Don't know what altitude or weather condition are where you live but her in Ca. central valley if your tomatoes have plenty of sun and space they will be 5ft or so, big plants. Three plants would be more than enough unless your planning on canning them or have lots of friends to give them to. Different varieties ripen at different times of the year so using multiple varieties will give you a longer period of fresh tomatoes. Fresh vine ripened tomatoes are excellent so much more flavor than from the store (even if they say they are vine ripened). We have lots of fruits stand around here but very few of them have completely vine ripened tomatoes. You can smell the difference.

I thought I had one plant of full size tomatoes, and two of cherry tomatoes. Turns out, I planted three of cherry tomatoes.

I expected them to spread more. They are in the shady bed, though, so they don't get as much sun as anything else in the garden. Still, they put on a whole lot of fruit for the size of the plants, they just didn't spread or grow all that much. Meanwhile, I have more lettuce than I know what to do with. If that happened with the tomatoes, that would be good, as they'd re-seed. Not so much here.

As for the growing conditions....yeah, I have no idea. We're northern, so colder, but a desert, so warmer with 485 days of sun per year, minimum, but the garden is on the east side of the house, so a bit warmer in morning, and shaded in the afternoon...and water can be whatever I want, but the soil is loaded with clay, so it doesn't drain readily.

Total pain figuring out what will grow and where. I've tried cantaloupes, but without success. Cucumbers worked one year, failed other years. Zucchini is boom or bust, corn is inconsistent. Just hard to figure it out. Beans work, though. Beans and peas totally work.

PowerPoster

Had a friend that lived at @ 3,000 + ft. in the hills. Had lots of clay. We built large 16' x 8' x 1' (using 8' long 2" by 12" boards) boxes for above ground garden. He never had much luck with tomatoes. They were small and a lot of them would have a little brown skin around the tip.

PowerPoster

You might be able to grow salad greens at least. And get in several crops of them a season. Leaf lettuce, mustard greens, baby kale, etc.

And usually people can get decent green onions. There are even people doing these by buying the grocery store produce, then cutting these to about 1 inch and placing the rooted stubs back into a vase of water leaving 1/2" sticking above the water.

couple years ago I planted a couple of tomato plants, some basil, cilantro, and cowhorn peppers... it all took off... I had so much basil I didn't know what to do with it, kept giving it away to people. The cowhorns I kept and ran through a dehydrator... still have some of it left. Some are sitting in containers, some I added to oil bottles. I was making fresh salsa every week with what I was pulling out of the garden that year.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Practical, good for a chuckle, or a complement to those clown shoes you've been wanting to get more use out of?

The color would match my banana costume.

PowerPoster

I think I seen you,

Name:  brianpbj-animation-040-actionmodal4x.png
Views: 568
Size:  27.1 KB

PowerPoster

It was funny how hard they tried to upsell him when he bought a pair. He even admitted somebody compared him to Hannibal Lecter.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

So I hear they've locked Manchester back down this morning. NSA, does that affect you? That's got to suck at this stage.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Looks like wearing of face shields will be required here in the Philippines when riding a public transportation in an attempt to slow down the spread of the virus.
    Regards,

As a gesture of gratitude please consider rating helpful posts. c",)

Some stuffs: Mouse Hotkey | Compress file using SQL Server! | WPF - Rounded Combobox | WPF - Notify Icon and Balloon | NetVerser - a WPF chatting system

To quote the moron in chief from yesterday...

“The closest thing is in 1917, they say, the great pandemic. It certainly was a terrible thing where they lost anywhere from 50 to 100 million people,” Trump said during his White House press briefing. “Probably ended the Second World War, all the soldiers were sick.”
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

Make sure you put it into full context ... here's a complete run down of US History according to Trumpf all in a Twitter thread.
    https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/...84660813701120

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Six months and over 165,000 Americans dead from the virus we still have people in power doing things like this,

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...121100422.html

A Florida sheriff forbids employees and any one that comes into their office to wear a mask. I really, really don't get it, do they just want to make the news and get their 15 minutes of fame, do they still not understand how the virus spreads, ..... I wanted to give more examples of what they might be thinking but I couldn't. I just can't come up with any reasonable justification. He FORBIDS it. What an ass.

I really, really don't get it
    I'm with you there.

I can kinda… sorta... maybe... see it at an enormous stretch. I.e. over here you're not typically allowed to wear motorbike helmets when entering police stations, post offices etc. for identification reasons and I can see that a visible face might help build bridges between police and the public at this time but... yeah... these arguments are weak as all hell in the face of risking spreading a deadly pandemic.

I mean, this just feels so unbelievably wrong-headed to me that my initial thought was "this is being miss-reported - it has to be"

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Six months and over 165,000 Americans dead from the virus we still have people in power doing things like this,

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/...121100422.html

A Florida sheriff forbids employees and any one that comes into their office to wear a mask. I really, really don't get it, do they just want to make the news and get their 15 minutes of fame, do they still not understand how the virus spreads, ..... I wanted to give more examples of what they might be thinking but I couldn't. I just can't come up with any reasonable justification. He FORBIDS it. What an ass.
    I'm pretty sure he is a republican and a strong Trump supporter...

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Well it would have if had been in manchester, but i was at my house in the south of france for 2 weeks and so i was fine. Just got back ahead of quarantine
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Sounds like getting back was probably interesting. I'm hearing stories of tickets going for 3 times the usual price.

Score another one for the moron in chief...Here is what the idiot said about a rise in Covid cases in New Zealand:

"The places that they were using to hold up, they're having a big surge. And I don't want that, I don't want that. But they were holding up names of countries, and now they're saying, 'Whoops!' " Trump said.

"In fact, even New Zealand, do you see what's going on in New Zealand? They beat it, they beat it, it was like front page, 'They beat it,' because they wanted to show me something," Trump said. "The problem is, big surge in New Zealand. So you know, it's terrible."

The death toll from COVID-19 in New Zealand stands at 22 people, out of a population of around 5 million. In the U.S., around 170,000 people have died from the disease, out of a population of around 330 million. Trump just doesn't know any shame...

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ng-ardern-says

Quote Originally Posted by TysonLPrice View Post
    The death toll from COVID-19 in New Zealand stands at 22 people, out of a population of around 5 million. In the U.S., around 170,000 people have died from the disease, out of a population of around 330 million. Trump just doesn't know any shame...
    I don't know about that... I've just put on my blonde flappy wig and done the maths, it turns out that the US has the equivalent of 1.9 deaths in New Zealand.

Yeah, well... what do you expect from someone who ... well... if you haven't seen this twitter thread yet... or heard about this news ... you should take a look at it:
    https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/stat...28113216819200
    Oleander... as a cure for covid... for the non-botanists in the group, Oleander is poisonous...

Gonna just let that sink in.

-tg

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    I don't know about that... I've just put on my blonde flappy wig and done the maths, it turns out that the US has the equivalent of 1.9 deaths in New Zealand.
    Almost twice as many people died in the US and Trump thinks that's good?

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Yeah, well... what do you expect from someone who ... well... if you haven't seen this twitter thread yet... or heard about this news ... you should take a look at it:
    https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/stat...28113216819200
    Oleander... as a cure for covid... for the non-botanists in the group, Oleander is poisonous...

Gonna just let that sink in.

-tg
    Death IS a cure for COVID. Haven't heard of any corpses getting sick, have you?

PowerPoster

I don't know about that... I've just put on my blonde flappy wig and done the maths, it turns out that the US has the equivalent of 1.9 deaths in New Zealand
    Almost twice as many people died in the US and Trump thinks that's good?
    Not sure what math you guys were talking about but the death rate in the US over 100 times higher than New Zealand.

Trump says crap like that because he knows FOX wont call him out on it and his supports don't watch CNN or MSNBC or read the NY Times. I know if my son heard him say that he would just accept it as fact. I'm starting to get a little worried because I've gotten to point where hearing Trump spout lies doesn't upset me, just another day of crap.

Now he says he should get a third term,

"We are going to win four more years," Trump said at a rally in Oshkosh, Wisconsin on Monday. "And then after that, we'll go for another four years because they spied on my campaign. We should get a redo of four years."
    So I can't get out raged over the New Zealand comment, I've got enough anger issues.

PowerPoster

Trump is pretty good at tickling the knees of right-wingers of both parties, including the faux left Identitarians.

It is funny seeing you knock yourselves out as your knees jerk so hard they bash into your chins. Can't wait for the Election Night fun as the fake mental breakdowns in the media are staged again.

TYT was probably the funniest one, though CNN was a close second. Maddow throwing stuff with wild eyes and spittle flying everywhere was also pretty good over at Comcast.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Trump is pretty good at tickling the knees of right-wingers of both parties, including the faux left Identitarians.

It is funny seeing you knock yourselves out as your knees jerk so hard they bash into your chins. Can't wait for the Election Night fun as the fake mental breakdowns in the media are staged again.

TYT was probably the funniest one, though CNN was a close second. Maddow throwing stuff with wild eyes and spittle flying everywhere was also pretty good over at Comcast.
    Now you're talking like a real right-winger, showing your true colours. Glad you're not pretending anymore, it will probably save you a lot of energy.

It's funny, the one thing I loathe about the right is their attitude of "I don't care what happens, as long as it enrages the left!"

Glad I live in Canada where it isn't nearly as bad... Watching American politics, you can never tell what your party stands for, but every ad will tell you what the other party stands for and how they're complete evil!

PowerPoster

Illegal immigrant slave labor, sending jobs to scab countries for the lowest labor costs and laxest environmental standards, endless wars of aggression, keeping the common folk divided through a narrative of identity politics... yep, that's what the faux left is all about. Their globalist corporate puppet masters could not be happier. Biden and Kasich, duopolitans 'til the bitter end as prominent members of the Clinton-Bush Gang.

The faux left loves calling the actual left "right-wing."

Illegal immigrant slave labor, sending jobs to scab countries for the lowest labor costs and laxest environmental standards, endless wars of aggression, keeping the common folk divided through a narrative of identity politics... yep, that's what the faux left is all about. Their globalist corporate puppet masters could not be happier. Biden and Kasich, duopolitans 'til the bitter end as prominent members of the Clinton-Bush Gang.

Your not bad at it yourself...

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Yeah i saw that too i had to pay a bit to change my ticket on the Tunnel, but i did it early as i could see it was going to happen so it wasn't to bad. I wouldn't have liked to have been crossing near the deadline.

I was in the countryside and so i didn't see what it was like in a French city so i guess my comparison is warped but i felt a lot more safe there than here.

I can see why some people who live out in the country can have a very different view of the virus than those of us who live in a city. Firstly you have so much more space and secondly you come into to contact with a lot less people and you tend to know those people.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

No, the left calls people like you right-wing. Literally 80% of the posts you make regarding politcs is some kind of flame-bait to try and anger someone. That is 100% the ideal of the right. See people like Michael Knowles or Steven Crowder as examples of high-profile right-wingers that exemplify this (or well obviously Trump). Funny how seeing one side as the enemy divides things... maybe practice what you preach? I don't know a single person on the left that is going around saying "I can't wait until I see the right cry when Trump finally gets kicked out." Let alone half of the idiotic things you spout at the "enemy" as you see them.

Believe it or not, most left-wingers are not on board with identity politics; that is a vocal minority. Most are not "communists" that want everything to be social, they also don't want to take all of your guns away. I suggest you actually talk to people on the left before stating that it is the left pulling the US apart. Watch any Trump rally to see what I mean -- he spends most of his time telling you how bad the democrats are rather than explaining how he is going to fix anything.

From everything I see (and I have no dog in this fight) viewing both right winged (Ben Shapiro, Michael Knowles, Steven Crowder, etc.) and left winged (Joe Rogan, Tim Pool, David Pakman... can't think of any others), the right does a lot more fighting and insulting the left than the left does the right. However, that does change when directed directly at Trump.

It is also a very right-winged (and conspiracy theorist) to automatically do what you do and assume everyone is too ignorant to know what you know and have a different opinion. Not not to mention you blame everyone on the boogeyman "Clinton-Bush Gang" responsible for everything wrong in the world.
    Last edited by kfcSmitty; Aug 19th, 2020 at 01:27 PM.

Page 33 of 137 FirstFirst ... 23303132333435364383133 ... LastLast