Page 31 of 137 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233344181131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,240 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

I didn't see any person in this thread meeting the standard of scientific literacy in my mind, that is to say, no one belongs to the 1%. I have not seen anyone introduce some simple basic virus knowledge
    This is a discussion forum not a scientific one, and that sets the tone of the discussion that does not mean nobody here understands the science.

Its good that we have different perspectives like your in this thread and disagreements are often a good thing as they provoke discussion and learning, but i wish you would spend a bit less time telling us all that we dont live up to you scientific standards and also being offended and more time understanding why people have another point of view.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Quote Originally Posted by dreammanor View Post
    Arrogance, ignorance and prejudice make this thread worthless in discussing and preventing COVID-19, it's just gossip.
    The thread was actually doing really well for a few hours, but then you came back!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Dreamanor, people do want hear your opinions. I know I do and I've said several times that, as the only Chinese voice in this thread, you provide a unique perspective from which we can all benefit.

But you can't expect those opinions to go unchallenged. Nobody else is afforded that privelege and neither will you be. Discussion and debate are not the blind acceptance of assertions. And simply calling people ignorant when they disagree with you is never going to fly. You're going to get real pushback if you keep doing that.
    Last edited by FunkyDexter; Jul 10th, 2020 at 09:25 AM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

PowerPoster

Masking is getting a bit weird.

I haven't been out a whole lot because we've had stay-at-home orders and even since then I'm in no hurry to get infected.

But when I have I noticed that in the medium-sized cities and in the small podunk towns people have been pretty good about wearing masks inside stores and medical buildings. The only places I've seen broad disregard for masks and hand sanitizer station use in within a large metro area and a college town.

This would seem to run counter to "left/right" stereotypes about population density and PPE acceptance. But perhaps I'm only seeing outlier cases? Perhaps we're just "different" here. Perhaps things are just more complicated than portrayed in the "news" media.

We have a new crackdown here:

The deaf interpreter in that video used to work for me a while back, before she got her cochlear implants.

Out here, there certainly appears to be the case that the older you are the more likely you are to be masked. That would fit better than left/right, since younger people are more likely to think themselves immune. There may also be a relationship between wealth and mask wearing, but it's not very clear, and the age difference could account for the whole thing. Naturally, I have no particular sample size, since I barely get out, either.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

To be honest, here in SC, at least in the greater Charleston area where I am, I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of people I see out and about wearing masks. Much higher than I'd expect given this state's tendency to go against the grain. Although... now our Governor has decided that since you can only get sick after 11pm in a bar while drinking, all bars and liquor establishments must now close at 11pm, rather than 1am... 10pm, you're still fine... but apparently 11pm is the "magic time."

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

PowerPoster

Mask wearing is way up here, three weeks ago maybe 50%, now maybe 85+%. Of course now CA. has a mask mandate . But also we are just now seeing large spikes in the number of new cases. It seems a large percentage of the population wont take a situation seriously until it becomes so serious and obvious locally that you can't ignore it. That's why we need leaders. These cowardly Governors that still wont mandate masks.... I'd be kicked off the forum if I said what I really think about them.

It's so simple, such a small ask.

Boise has mandated masks, but not statewide, which makes sense to me. Most of Idaho is too rural to matter, and has few or no cases. The city is not so rural, and cases are soaring. From around 25/week a couple weeks back to over 400/day for the last few days. Small compared to some other places, but still growing fast.

I just heard that a large chunk of our office has been told to quarantine. That's it, I'm not going back to the office.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Boise has mandated masks, but not statewide, which makes sense to me. Most of Idaho is too rural to matter, and has few or no cases. The city is not so rural, and cases are soaring. From around 25/week a couple weeks back to over 400/day for the last few days. Small compared to some other places, but still growing fast.

I just heard that a large chunk of our office has been told to quarantine. That's it, I'm not going back to the office.
    I agree, sort of. Idaho doesn't have a lot of different high population areas so leaving it to the mayors might work. But for the most part, even though it might not be far to the people in extremely rural areas, I think mask mandates need to be state wide, I'd be fine with country wide. It creates a clear standard. Our country has been trying to find all different excuses for not needing to wear masks, also we are a very mobile society. I think it's time to stop trying to do the minimum, look where it has got us. 70,000 new cases today.

PowerPoster

I took a drive late yesterday for a change of scenery.

My destination was a small ice cream place on the fringe of a small town (pop. 2000), about 15 miles from me out into the sticks. A place where you see a lot of rather unsubtle new "Proud Union Family" yard signs that sprang up during the urban protests... and a gun shop next door to the ice cream place.

King Kone has closed its walk up window and outdoor seating. There is no indoor seating since it is really just a large kiosk. Only the drive-through is open and the employees are masked. The people in their cars were masked and most kept their car windows closed until they got up to the window. I watched two guys go into that gun shop and they wore masks.

As I said, I don't get out much. But so far everything I'm seeing contradicts the rhetoric in the media. Cities and college towns seem to be the worst about following good practices.

For now I still haven't gone into a grocery store since early March. If I decide to instead of ordering delivered groceries again I'll probably consider Carl's Market in that small town. They even have a sign out front "Yes, We Have Sanitizer Stations Throughout The Store!"

Your area seems to be generally more observant than where I am. I'd say that we are less observant than media is reporting, but that may be changing fast. I haven't been into Boise for a couple months. I'll be going in there in a couple weeks, at which point I'll see how the compliance is with the mandatory mask order. I'll have to walk across the city, too, so I'll have a good look at it. I could take a taxi, but that just seems a bit wrong, so I'll be on foot.

PowerPoster

Hope you get a cool or at least dry day. I'll readily admit that walking in a mask any distance can get uncomfortable. But you only need that in crowds.

We've had a break now from two weeks of sun and 90+ degree temperatures. Plenty of recent rain (though spotty, some of us got 2" others almost none) and highs closer to only 80. Oh well, I was getting used to not mowing.
    Last edited by dilettante; Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:39 AM.

I can count on a dry day, but not a cool one.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    Masking is getting a bit weird.

I haven't been out a whole lot because we've had stay-at-home orders and even since then I'm in no hurry to get infected.

But when I have I noticed that in the medium-sized cities and in the small podunk towns people have been pretty good about wearing masks inside stores and medical buildings. The only places I've seen broad disregard for masks and hand sanitizer station use in within a large metro area and a college town.

This would seem to run counter to "left/right" stereotypes about population density and PPE acceptance. But perhaps I'm only seeing outlier cases? Perhaps we're just "different" here. Perhaps things are just more complicated than portrayed in the "news" media.

We have a new crackdown here:

The deaf interpreter in that video used to work for me a while back, before she got her cochlear implants.
    I'm in Ohio and based on how many cases are detected in your county dictates mandatory masks or not so it can fluctuate day to day. I wear one inside stores all the time. I take it off in the parking lot.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

I'd been thinking more or less "Get infected, you get sick with a chance of dying if you have some of a large number of pre-existing conditions."

Now more and more I am hearing "Get infected a little bit you start creating antibodies, so when you get infected more and more by the time you get a heavy load your body is prepared." Sounds a little dicey, like "Seed the grass too thin and it dies, so seed heavily" or some other wacky analogy.

However if there is any truth in it then it could be another justification for the hand washing, mask, instancing, etc.: Keeping "the grass" infestations too thin to survive your body's "weeds" long enough to grow a thick undefeatable "weed bed."

PowerPoster

I'd been thinking more or less "Get infected, you get sick with a chance of dying if you have some of a large number of pre-existing conditions."

Now more and more I am hearing "Get infected a little bit you start creating antibodies, so when you get infected more and more by the time you get a heavy load your body is prepared." Sounds a little dicey, like "Seed the grass too thin and it dies, so seed heavily" or some other wacky analogy.

However if there is any truth in it then it could be another justification for the hand washing, mask, instancing, etc.: Keeping "the grass" infestations too thin to survive your body's "weeds" long enough to grow a thick undefeatable "weed bed."
    That sounds like an absolutely terrible idea. If you die, you'll live to regret it. hmmm???

No coming back from death. Even if you don't die there has been a lot of talk about long term harm to your lungs.

I do understand the feeling of lets just get this over with and see what happens, if I knew I wouldn't die I might think about it. But I'm way to big a coward to get infected on purpose.

PowerPoster

I think the idea is that you can't avoid getting infected forever. The vaccines still aren't looking very good or very soon.

Further, the suggested precautions can probably only help you avoid getting heavily infected all at once. No bubble is perfectly impermeable. So we can't expect perfect protection and it might not be a good idea anyway. The hygiene, masks, distancing, staying at home, etc. might only slow how much exposure you receive. For most people that lets us develop immunity over time, for others though you might get really sick or worse even with protection.

Going without protection would mean you raise your odds of getting an infection you cannot cope with.

“It’s not proven, but it would make sense that higher inoculating doses will lead to higher viral loads, and higher viral loads would translate into more pathogenic clinical courses,” said Dan Barouch, director of the Center for Virology and Vaccine Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/14/...make-you-sick/

"Get infected a little bit you start creating antibodies, so when you get infected more and more by the time you get a heavy load your body is prepared."
    That's basically how a lot of vaccines work (certainly historically, though I believe modern vaccines are essentially benign biological "mimics" of the target virus - don't take my word on that though, it's pub science). The very first vaccine, for small pox was... small pox. Most of the flu shots when I was a kid were doses of the flu. Given in controlled doses where the subject can be observed for the next few weeks it can be a very safe method of inoculation.

I imagine this where we might end up going with Corona but there would be two obstacles to overcome: 1. doing enough research and testing to know what a "controlled dose" is (or even if a controlled dose is possible) and 2: knowing for sure that antibody immunity is a thing (I believe that's still the consensus but I think we're still waiting for a proof one way or the other - unless someone can update me on that).

I'm not sure I'd rely on measures like hand washing, mask wearing etc. to achieve a sort of Heath Robinson inoculation program but it feels like a step in the right direction. It can't hurt.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

This sounds like a terrible idea, my Sister in-law who is in her 30's and has no underlying conditions had Covid mildly in April, she is now suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome. About half the week she struggles to even get out of bed. She is in a support group with others who are suffering the same as her and she says that there are thousand of people who are struggling like her.

I good friend of mine who is a Nurse got Covid in May, at one point she though she might die, however in side 3 weeks she had pretty much fully recovered. Her Husband and kids had very very mild symptoms and are completely fine.

I know these are anecdotal but they align with studies which say that Covid can have long term effects for some people even if they have mild symptoms, and that younger people are not immune to this virus and some can still be effected in a significant way. It not just and old persons disease

We are still learning about the Virus, i read an article the other day which said that recent studies suggested immuno response levels for people who have had Covid mildly dramatically fall after 3 months.

I for one wont be gambling with my health by purposefully putting myself in harms way and i dont have any risk factors, what we know is changing all the time.
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

And drag a bunch of people down with your plan? You could just crash your car into a crowd instead
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I think I'm reading Dil differently to you guys. I don't think he's saying you should deliberately expose yourself but rather, given that you probably can't 100% avoid exposure, take all the recommended measures (hand washing etc) to minimise that exposure and hope anything you catch is mild.

To be honest, though, while we have some control over frequency of exposure, I don't think there's anything we can do to try and ensure a "mild dose". You're going to catch it or you're not and, if you catch it, it's going to take hold or it isn't. After that all bets are off.

Viruses have a way of turning mild into major. They reproduce, after all. I doubt there is any way to ensure a small or mild dose.

I'm somewhat optimistic about the chances of a viable vaccine. Not this month or next, but quite possibly before the end of the year. It may still fall through, but what makes me more optimistic is the fact that companies are ramping up production lines in anticipation. That was the second half of a vaccine, which I thought might not happen. If we got a vaccine, but could only produce a thousand doses a week, we might as well not have one at all. Instead, we'll be able to produce a few billion doses a month before we even know whether or not the vaccine works. Now all we need is for the vaccine to work...

Pasteur Institute is working on one and human test are beginning https://translate.google.fr/translat...2381915_40.php
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

PowerPoster

Yeah, I'm not saying "do this" but instead "this is what we are doing" (using imperfect PPE and practices). So "the plan" is to observe all of the recommended precautions.

Perhaps the slow infection that inevitably occurs might still be valuable even if ineffective at keeping you from getting infected at all. The whole thing hinges on the idea of repeated low-exposure having value, as opposed to high-dose exposure getting you really sick and perhaps succumbing. Supposedly getting repeated low exposure gives your body time to create increasing levels of antibodies.

If that isn't true then this rationalization falls apart. I'm not saying the theory is fact, just that I've heard this as a justification for observing the imperfect precautions we have available to us... and in passing avoiding overloading the health care system with too many severe cases.

I must not be expressing this well. I'm not suggesting people tear off their masks and run out and rub up against each other naked breathing hard on each other in close proximity.

My point is that masks, isolation, hand washing, etc. are probably still a good idea even if they are imperfect protection. In other words even some protection might be a lot better than no protection. A mask might only screen out 5% from getting to you but keep 75% of your viral spew from puffing out in great clouds exposing others when you cough, sneeze, or pontificate at high volume.

Or are some of you pretending masks are magical, providing an impermeable protective forcefield? Sorry to "burst your bubble."

Or are some of you pretending masks are magical, providing an impermeable protective forcefield? Sorry to "burst your bubble."
    Stop spreading your lies. I wore my mask the other day and a car bounced right off me.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Viruses have a way of turning mild into major. They reproduce, after all. I doubt there is any way to ensure a small or mild dose.
    That's what I thought as well. So I had discredited the "gradual low-dose" idea when I first heard it back in March. However this seems to be gaining popularity with (or at least being repeated more by) moderate voices in the medical community.

It doesn't promise a solution, it merely provide more justification to continue with protective practices even acknowledging their imperfection.

There certainly does seem to be some evidence that getting a large dose up front is worse, and that would make sense. If one lung cell gets infected, builds clones, releases them to infect other cells, etc., then the invasion starts slow and ramps up, giving the body time. If you get a thousand lung cells infected at first, then you're starting from further up the line, but with no time to ramp up the response. Thus it makes sense that a large initial dose would be worse than a small initial dose. However, if you have other compromising issues, then even a small dose would be enough. So, while the large dose ought to be worse, and looks like it is, a small dose is still a pretty good risk.

I'm not suggesting people tear off their masks and run out and rub up against each other naked breathing hard on each other in close proximity.
    I dunno, sounds like my kinda party. Probably best still wear protection though.

There certainly does seem to be some evidence that getting a large dose up front is worse
    Is there a source on that? My working assumption is that the volume of the initial dose might affect the chances of you becoming infected but wouldn't affect how badly that infection would affect you. I'm basing that on the general behaviour of viruses, though, rather than specific Corona information.

PowerPoster

What John Campbell has been saying lately is that with a light viral load the infection may be occurring in the upper respiratory tract, and mainly getting down and into the alveolae when one has a heavy viral load.

Recently however he has been hedging, saying things like "the evidence for that isn't unequivocal yet, but it does seem to make a lot of sense."

Here, the french government just decided today that the mask will be mandatory in any closed public areas (stores, any public office, etc.) from august 1st because of signs that the epidemic is coming back.
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Is there a source on that? My working assumption is that the volume of the initial dose might affect the chances of you becoming infected but wouldn't affect how badly that infection would affect you.
    Not from me, no. That was anecdotal evidence out of NYC medical workers, which was mostly frantic, not systematic, observation. It was reported that those that got an estimated large dose, seemed to have worse outcomes. Actual dose wasn't measured, though, so it's estimation only. That's not worthless, it would just have to be backed up....by a particularly diabolical study.

PowerPoster

We can't measure the amount of virus we're getting anyway.

As I see it that doesn't matter. All it does is provide yet another possible reason to wear masks, wash hands, and keep your distance. Maybe if they said Santa Claus was watching mask wearing it would help encourage young people. "Young people" seems to extend to 35 or 40 years old these days. Peter Pan had nothing on Millennials.

PowerPoster

If you like maps and charts try https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/ (US only).
    Last edited by dilettante; Jul 14th, 2020 at 03:50 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Delaney View Post
    Here, the french government just decided today that the mask will be mandatory in any closed public areas (stores, any public office, etc.) from august 1st because of signs that the epidemic is coming back.
    That doesn't make sense to me. Why would you wait 18 day to start trying to stem the spread. Is this just more stupidity or is there a logical reason that waiting 18 days is better than starting today. Maybe I'm missing something.

PowerPoster

The beginning comedy skit is on topic.

The movie reviews maybe be useful if you have run out of stuff to watch. These VCR Repair guys liked "Vast of Night" which I may have suggested many pages ago.

Last edited by dilettante; Jul 14th, 2020 at 09:30 PM.

That was anecdotal evidence out of NYC medical workers, which was mostly frantic, not systematic, observation.
    Yeah, that's the sort of stuff I'm judging off of too. Still, I don't imagine a smaller dose can be worse in any way.

That doesn't make sense to me. Why would you wait 18 day to start trying to stem the spread.
    They're doing the same over here. The argument for the delay is that it allows shops time to train staff and sort out signage and the public time to buy masks if they haven't already. I'm not saying this is a good argument but it is the one being offered. And I can see that handing out fines to members of the public before they've had a chance to get a mask is unfair.

I see it as the date you "must" be doing it from (or be punished), before that it is desired but not enforced.

Apparently the use of face coverings has increased a lot in the UK over the last month or two, and keeps on rising (but is still lower than most major countries). I don't know how they are measuring it, but I'm willing to bet I'm not being counted: I bought masks a couple of years ago, and I don't normally cover my face while walking down the street - so wont get spotted on CCTV.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Yeah, that's the sort of stuff I'm judging off of too. Still, I don't imagine a smaller dose can be worse in any way.

They're doing the same over here. The argument for the delay is that it allows shops time to train staff and sort out signage and the public time to buy masks if they haven't already. I'm not saying this is a good argument but it is the one being offered. And I can see that handing out fines to members of the public before they've had a chance to get a mask is unfair.
    Yes that's the one given in France too. At first it was not understandable for me as all stores in Paris area are already ready and equipped but I remembered that Brittany was almost not touched by the covid and that almost nobody wear a mask there so they may be some areas in France that are not well prepared and equipped. It was said also in the publication that the stores should be able to give a mask to someone that don't have one and want to enter. The government can be naive sometimes, no store will do that...
    Last edited by Delaney; Jul 15th, 2020 at 04:33 AM. Reason: typo, at least the one I can see ;)

Quote Originally Posted by si_the_geek View Post
    I see it as the date you "must" be doing it from (or be punished), before that it is desired but not enforced.
    And as they will have to enforce that through a law or a decree, they have to write it, to vote it, etc. for the moment it was an announcement.

I don't normally cover my face while walking down the street
    Me neither. I pop it on just before I enter a shop (or join the back of a queue).

Honestly, the numbers I'm seeing wearing a mask in my local supermarket are probably lower now than when this initially kicked off. There was an initial surge of mask wearing (I'm quietly convinced that lot of guys jumped at the chance to look gangsta) but it quickly dropped off to almost zero. I thought I'd see a rise following the announcement but haven't yet. I'm going shopping later today, though, so perhaps it'll have gone up.

Page 31 of 137 FirstFirst ... 21282930313233344181131 ... LastLast