Page 93 of 137 FirstFirst ... 438390919293949596103 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,720 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

King of sapila

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Obedient dog.
    After 2:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUhkfcWN_Sc
    We have approved therapies but we won't order them until we finish the vaccine purchases.
    Down boy down! Afr!Arf! Down down boy!Arff argggg grrrrr arf arf!
    ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ
    πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν·

King of sapila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9FPhAJXGiA
    20:15 .
    Those are the official number of Greece Health organization on covid deaths. 2nd dose 1st dose and unvaccinated.
    When you take the percentage of vaccinated vs death toll you end up with.
    Mortality on the first dose 0,051% , Mortality on the second dose 0,016, Mortality on unvaccinated 0,011%. La-di-da.
    And the high 1st dose rate is because they are "unloading" 2nd dose people to the 1st dose so they can justify the lesser percentage of deaths in intensive care beds. Yeah Greece government idiots.
    So that's Greece official numbers that have been used from the chief government doctor "something like Fauci" and hunficton post. Those where collected to justify the vaccinated don't die story but they just made a boo boo. Poor idiot souls.

PowerPoster

And here is something to considered:
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pfizer-...riant-omicron/
    "Pfizer testing its vaccine against new COVID-19 strain"
    So i think the 'grin' should wait for a while.
    What's your point? Does this surprise you? Do you think they shouldn't test for effectiveness?

There is certainly a chance that some new variant will arrive that the current vaccines wont be effective against. But that's not news. What is it you want us to consider?

King of sapila

I just pointed out that possibly the pills would come later.

Frankly, the pills aren't a great alternative, except for people who aren't thinking it through. You won't get the pills until you've been sick and diagnosed, at which point you have to take them for five days...during which time you'll be sick for the first few days, though hopefully feeling better over that time. You'll have been infectious for days, you'll still be infectious during the time you are feeling sick. There's no advantage for the pills, except that there isn't the same amount of anti-vax misinformation swirling around them.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

King of sapila

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    except that there isn't the same amount of anti-vax misinformation swirling around them.
    Or vax depreciation, I should say.

PowerPoster

So they are sorta kinda isolating South Africa. Too little, too late. The UK ("Crossroads of COVID") is already crawling with Omicron.

The Idiot

I think the pill is a good idea. best idea so far.
    if you get sick, and feel u need a medicine, take the pill.
    it should be easy to buy, similar to paracetamol, so, just take a self-test and if u have it, take the pill.
    forget about the vaccine, its just tons of work and useless most of the time, +99.4% of the people that gets infected survives.

PowerPoster

I don't know where to start after that. We're doomed.

I only looked at these last ten posts or so and I don't see any mention of the Omicron variant. It is affecting world travel as far as travel bans, arguably too late, and also the stock market.

It is too early too say but there is quite a concern about the mutations:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/27/world...ntl/index.html

I'd like to think this is an over reaction or knee jerk reaction. Not a new normal we now with live with. Fingers crossed.

But I have t think as long as this is not considered a global problem where the richer countries vaccinate the poorer countries then the poorer countries are a Petri dish for the next mutation. I don't think globally there is that resolve until maybe a few cycle of death waves...
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Nov 28th, 2021 at 07:20 AM.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Too little, too late. The UK ("Crossroads of COVID") is already crawling with Omicron.
    I believe your right, sadly. There's already at least one confirmed case in Belgium and we've had at least one flight into the UK from SA which is confirmed to have carried multiple covid cases (though not yet confirmed to be Omicron) which were allowed straight back into the population without quarantine. Couple that with epidemiologists who are saying that it had almost certainly spread outside SA before it was even identified and, yeah, chances are way higher than evens that it's here already. I'm not sure why you singled out the UK but you're 100% right that it's already too late for travel bans from SA.

But, hey, nobody listens to epidemiologists any more 'cause what do they now? It's not like they spend their lives studying this stuff. Far better to put our faith in our own flawed understanding of the science.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

What you need to consider about Omicron (the dots show how many straight letters left in the Greek alphabet ...................) is if it bypasses the vaccines.Also government CNN says so on the link but , you know,CNN. That would be a bummer,non?All these for nothing.
    Also taken in consideration posts 3682 and 3683 what I can say at least for Greece is, how to put it gently so we won't get a mess again, vaccines are not that crucial as they let to believe.Frankly what will kick in is natural immunity as in the end everyone will be infected and less lethal mutations as Delta and hopefully if omicron proves to be more contagious but less lethal, we welcome it.
    But will have to see.

P.S. Also isolation won't help as shown.It will pass. So better get on with it I say.

They may have singled out the UK both because we've had reports of the Omicron variant in the UK, and that you're practically neighbors. Only a few fish between us.

A virus needs our cells to replicate. It just contains the blueprints for the building, and our ribosomes do the construction. A vaccine causes the body to attack the virus. Those pills get into the cell and cause the construction to be messed up....except that the construction is being done by cellular mechanisms that are essential to our survival. Those pills are FAR more likely to have long term side effects than the vaccine, but some people do seem just fine with that. No doubt, some of those people will be the same ones that made such a big deal out of the vaccines being experimental.

Still, I do believe that baka has a good point. Since a large portion of the population won't get vaccinated no matter what, then the only thing we can do is hope to get to a point where we can live with the virus. As long as it kills no more than 100,000 people a year in the US, it won't be any worse than the seasonal flu. The pills could get us to that point. Yeah, they cost a LOT of money, but insurance will cover virtually all of that in the US. They'll also have side effects, and COVID does, as well...but most people already think the US lacks taste, so maybe we don't have all that much to lose?

King of sapila

Now a little about omicron. It is call that as O-micron. So a small O. The other O is O-mega so a big O (Ω) that is considered the letter of gods and universe. So when we get there. Either the gods will save us or it would be the time of total destruction...

So, what is the symbol for o-micron? Everybody likely knows the symbol for Omega, because it's commonly used in fraternity names, so anybody who has gone to a university in the US that has fraternities has likely seen Omega...somewhere. I also know the symbol for microns, but what is o-micron? Is that just micron and we tend to drop the o?

King of sapila

There are variations from ancient to today, that I'm not a philosopher to explain but you mainly get the same O as in Greek. I'm not sure about the micron story.
    The omega is used more for verbs , thus having the tendency to do something. We get a lot of issues with omicron in emails as Greek and English seems quite the same (O vs Ο) and a lot of customers (and why in the life of me I can't explain) tend to put the wrong O that is a completely different character set and then they complain that they don't get their email
    Same goes with other letters but the O is the most common mistake (see Α = Α a=α ,i =ι I = Ι, e=ε E=Ε ,k=κ K=Κ ,t=τ T=Τ) fortunately no omega on emails

PowerPoster

The Omicron variant seems to be targeting younger people more, at least based on the experience to date in South Africa. People in their 20s and 30s.

We're just experiencing a Delta peak now locally. I'd guess that Omicron carriers have already arrived in small numbers though.

County-level time-lapse maps in the rate of infection have been interesting. It is clear that for some variants it has spread here from neighboring States (creeps in from the edges of the State), while for others it has bloomed out from Detroit or Ann Arbor which suggests contamination via air travel instead.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Frankly, the pills aren't a great alternative, except for people who aren't thinking it through. You won't get the pills until you've been sick and diagnosed, at which point you have to take them for five days...during which time you'll be sick for the first few days, though hopefully feeling better over that time. You'll have been infectious for days, you'll still be infectious during the time you are feeling sick. There's no advantage for the pills, except that there isn't the same amount of anti-vax misinformation swirling around them.
    Plus the pills aren't very effective unless you catch the infection very early.

But like you said earlier, I don't see a good solution. There is to large of a percentage that wont get vaccinated, plus there doesn't seem to be enough desire to vaccinate the poorer counties. So this cycle of waves will continue. The best we can hope for is no deadlier, vaccine resistant variant showing up. Hopefully they can continue to improve treatment methods because this virus is going to be killing people for years to come.

I see the big two news networks approach of the new variant emerging. On CNN it is the lead story. On Fox I have had it on for ten minutes since the beginning and nothing. I did hear a remark about it on Fox the other day. To paraphrase, the announcer said "Here the progressives go again".

Edit:

I need to retract that a bit. Fox mentioned it in the next hour.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Nov 29th, 2021 at 05:16 AM.

The Omicron variant seems to be targeting younger people more, at least based on the experience to date in South Africa. People in their 20s and 30s
    I have heard that South Africa's young demographic might be skewing that. I don't know the truth of that though. What I have heard is that this variant seems to be a lot less deadly but, again, this may well be being skewed by the younger demographic of the people that have been found to have contracted it so far.

I'd guess that Omicron carriers have already arrived in small numbers though.
    I suspect you're right. We've now got 9 confirmed cases in the UK and they don't seem to be connected to anyone travelling from South Africa. What we can take from that is that the virus had already spread outside South Africa before it was detected, meaning it's probably world-wide by now. Travel Bans will still help slow international spread by they'll by no means prevent it.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

King of sapila

If, as I've said in post 3693, if is true then what I can predict is having a total lockdown here as the variant won't cover vaccines.
    Also they will just mention that is very contagious and miss the part about lethality as they did with Delta.
    Rest assure that if O is less lethal then we are getting into the endemic stage as I've said when Delta came out.It may well be that common flu will be on equal if not greater level of lethality at this point. So we should probably do a lockdown for the flu now?

common flu will be on equal if not greater level of lethality
    Only if you're vaccinated. If you're unvaccinated it's far more lethal.

King of sapila

Yes, agreed for the common flu.
    So how many of you have been vaccinated for the common flu the previous years?

PowerPoster

I have heard that South Africa's young demographic might be skewing that. I don't know the truth of that though. What I have heard is that this variant seems to be a lot less deadly but, again, this may well be being skewed by the younger demographic of the people that have been found to have contracted it so far.
    Yeah, right now we really don't have any significant data. But that doesn't stop the media from flooding the news with all the "what if" scenarios. Plus even if this is a mild strain, there is no predicting what the next variant will be like.

Here in the US it seems as long the daily death tolls is kept to @ 1,000 a day, a large enough and vocal enough minority think that's acceptable. So no meaningful progress to minimize the spread of the virus can be made. We really are a stupid species, we fight against our own survival. Intelligent life form, my arse.

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Plus the pills aren't very effective unless you catch the infection very early.

But like you said earlier, I don't see a good solution. There is to large of a percentage that wont get vaccinated, plus there doesn't seem to be enough desire to vaccinate the poorer counties. So this cycle of waves will continue. The best we can hope for is no deadlier, vaccine resistant variant showing up. Hopefully they can continue to improve treatment methods because this virus is going to be killing people for years to come.
    We just have to run out of Greek letters and the pandemic will be over. Therefore, Sapator can tell us when this will end (I don't know my Greek alphabet, and would rather hear from Sapator than to look it up).

Quote Originally Posted by sapator View Post
    Yes, agreed for the common flu.
    So how many of you have been vaccinated for the common flu the previous years?
    Me.

But you do have a good point with this. Of course, the flu vaccine is always going after a moving target, since there are a few different, fairly different, variants circulating. The vaccine is kind of picking the most likely and working against that, which isn't the ONLY variant in circulation, so the flu vaccine has pretty variable effectiveness year to year, and often isn't all that great.

Intelligent life form, my arse.
    So that's why you talk out of it (Sorry, that was unwarranted but just too damn tempting to pass up)

We really are a stupid species, we fight against our own survival.
    I do find it particularly bizarre that it seems to be the same folks who rail against vaccines that rail against masks... and lock downs... and social distancing... It's like these people really are fighting against their own survival.

One generally positive thought about viruses: Viruses don't evolve towards deadly, they evolve towards infectious. The deadly is pretty much random so there's a fair chance that this variant will be mild in it's effects.

Deadly isn't totally random. The virus needs to not kill the host before it has a chance to spread. That means that there is SOME pressure pushing towards less deadly. It may not matter for COVID, though, because it has been well established that the virus has a chance to spread for a few days before any symptoms show up, at which point whether the host dies or not probably makes no difference.

whether the host dies or not probably makes no difference
    Except that if the host lives it can be infected again. Kind of the reverse of not wanting to kill the host.

I'd be a bit surprised if that mattered, though only a bit. There isn't any intelligence going on here. As long as the virus can reproduce, it will. Where, when, why....it doesn't matter. However, it does matter to the host, so there are immune systems. That would suggest that the virus doesn't care, but the host does. Reinfection keeps the virus spreading, but if that reinfection is at such a low level that the host doesn't care, then the virus won't spread as fast as it otherwise might, which would be a negative pressure compared to a virus that spread faster without regard for the host. So, you end up with a variety of forces acting in all directions. It's a bit hard to say which will matter the most, but sick without dying seems to be the sweet spot for a virus.

King of sapila

You also develop your natural immunity and store in memory cells for future re infections. If my memory server correctly the covid re infection with the same mutation was about 1000 in 1 billion.

Why would you say 1000 in 1 billion? That's a one in a million thing to do.

King of sapila

I was trying to show the megatude , it's marketing techniques, I'm amazed you asked.

So this just came in. Our prime idiot dictator born of a million idiot chicken nuggets decided to give a fine of 100Euros per month to those that are over 60 and do no vaccinate.
    That shows 2 things.
    1)He is an idiot.
    2)It's becoming a general acceptance that the vaccine do squat for people under 60, I was saying 65+ and I'm probably more accurate than the idiot.

PowerPoster

So that's why you talk out of it (Sorry, that was unwarranted but just too damn tempting to pass up)
    Try harder next time. Saying it was "unwarranted" doesn't change what it is.

I was trying to show the megatude , it's marketing techniques, I'm amazed you asked.
    Well...it worked. Advertising is supposed to catch your eye, and that caught my eye. Funny how that works.

Our prime idiot dictator born of a million idiot chicken nuggets
    I admit that I have never gotten up near a million, but I'd also say that I really can't evaluate the intelligence of any of the ones that I have consumed. Do you rank your chicken nuggets on intelligence? That would be pretty clever.

King of sapila

Yep. But it's a negative rank.

= Negative nugget.
    Last edited by sapator; Nov 30th, 2021 at 01:36 PM.

Those are the best kind: You eat them and lose weight!

So this just came in. Our prime idiot dictator born of a million idiot chicken nuggets decided to give a fine of 100Euros per month to those that are over 60 and do no vaccinate.
    That shows 2 things.
    1)He is an idiot.
    2)It's becoming a general acceptance that the vaccine do squat for people under 60, I was saying 65+ and I'm probably more accurate than the idiot.
    Why not 30000 in a trillion then.

PowerPoster

Not by the medical experts or the majority of people in general. @ 25% of the COVID deaths are people under 65yrs old. Why would the vaccine only help people 65 and older.

King of sapila

No that is not good marketing technique.
    You just rise to a level that it seems high but logical.
    Ah you IT yuppies

Page 93 of 137 FirstFirst ... 438390919293949596103 ... LastLast