Page 42 of 137 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344455292 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,680 of 5445

Thread: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

Re: Corona virus, China major city lockdowns, etc.

I knew that, but I went with the popular conception rather than the real situation. It seems to be the way of the world.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Then there was also the guy that was also forced to roll a boulder uphill, only to have it roll back down as he neared the top... Sounds like he should probably be the patron god for developers.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    Then there was also the guy that was also forced to roll a boulder uphill, only to have it roll back down as he neared the top... Sounds like he should probably be the patron god for developers.

-tg
    Sisyphus (or Sisyphos) is a figure from Greek mythology who, as king of Corinth, became infamous for his general trickery and twice cheating death. He ultimately got his comeuppance when Zeus dealt him the eternal punishment of forever rolling a boulder up a hill in the depths of Hades only for it to roll down every time it neared the top.

I think that cartoon "Hagar the Horrible" had take off on that.
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Classical art shows Atlas holding the celestial spheres
    Yeah, I've been doing a lot of that during lockdown too.

BTW, I thought Sisyphus was the guy stuck in a pond with a grape vine above his head that he couldn't reach but you're right, he was the boulder guy. Who was the grape vine guy?

The Pfizer virus is ready to rock and roll and is going to start being administered next week! We're a couple of months away from putting this whole sorry mess behind us. I think the admins should add a "punching the air" smiley just for this moment.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

"Who was the grape vine guy?"

Aesop's Fables...the Fox kept trying to jump up and get the grapes on the vine. He finally gave up and said "they were probably sour anyway".

That wasn't who I was thinking of. I googled it and the answer was...

<drum roll/>

Tantalus. It's where we get "tantalising" from.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    That wasn't who I was thinking of. I googled it and the answer was...

<drum roll/>

Tantalus. It's where we get "tantalising" from.
    That was a new one to me...

Tantalus is a figure from Greek mythology who was the rich but wicked king of Sipylus. For attempting to serve his own son at a feast with the gods, he was punished by Zeus to forever go thirsty and hungry in Hades despite being stood in a pool of water and almost within reach of a fruit tree

https://www.google.com/search?q=tant...active&ssui=on

So this thread is dead like the virus?

CA is now such a major hotbed or cases that we cant do or go anywhere now. WFH is the norm, getting daily deliveries from Amazon and my wife likes the Walmart order online and pick up outside the store in the parking lot all contactless. Our hospitals are at 7.7% now. My bosses daughter works in a hospital and they have a 3-4 DAY wait for the ER! Dont have a heart attack or other issues needing emergency services or you will probably die.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post

CA is now such a major hotbed or cases that we cant do or go anywhere now. WFH is the norm, getting daily deliveries from Amazon and my wife likes the Walmart order online and pick up outside the store in the parking lot all contactless. Our hospitals are at 7.7% now. My bosses daughter works in a hospital and they have a 3-4 DAY wait for the ER! Dont have a heart attack or other issues needing emergency services or you will probably die.
    There is a similar situation over here in Montgomery County Pennsylvania. Cancel Christmas Gatherings is the general mood here.
    Everything that has a computer in will fail. Everything in your life, from a watch to a car to, you know, a radio, to an iPhone, it will fail if it has a computer in it. They should kill the people who made those things.- 'Woz'
    save a blobFileStreamDataTable To Text Filemy blog

We're close, too. The governor has stated that he may be implementing an emergency health order any day, which will allow hospitals to simply refuse to help people.

I guess you missed Trump's speeches. It went away after the November 4th elections. Most intelligent people know it was a democratic hoax along.
    Last edited by TysonLPrice; Dec 14th, 2020 at 07:22 AM.

We've got another 3 to 4 months until this is over. Honestly, this has followed almost exactly the same path as 1918/19 and it beggars belief that politicians and pundits still refuse to see it even though the scientists are practically screaming at them.

For the record, we shouldn't be getting together for Christmas. I know it's a special day but it's also a perfectly choreographed, nation wide, super spreader event. Thousand of people are going to die in January and February because people couldn't bear to have their mince pie by zoom.

PowerPoster

because people couldn't bear to have their mince pie by zoom.
    lmao,

When I read that, I thought it said "mice pie". I was wondering if that is another name for Figgy Pudding. Crazy Brits

Crazy Brits
    Pretty sure Dickens must have written a mice pie into at least one of his novels. It seems like it'd fit his themes.

I told my sister the other day that it was, "snowing like the Dickens, here". I also said that I wasn't quite sure what that phrase meant until I heard the ski area say, "please sir, I'd like some more?"

People shouldn't get together for Christmas anyways, unless you are already close enough that travel isn't too obnoxious. My family decided, years ago, to get together somewhat away from the holiday itself to avoid the airport crowds and jacked up travel prices. I suppose if you are religious, the actual day matters (well, both religious and not sufficiently well informed to believe that Jesus was born in December), but for everybody else, getting together is what matters, and the day becomes just a reason to gouge you proper. This year, there is added incentive. I'll be home for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    My family decided, years ago, to get together somewhat away from the holiday itself to avoid the airport crowds and jacked up travel prices.,
    that's smart, I like that philosophy.

(well, both religious and not sufficiently well informed to believe that Jesus was born in December),
    the 25 of December was chosen in the past because it was the day of a pagan festival. It was to prevent new converted people to assist to the other ceremony.

Before December 15, I was confined so I needed a paper (I fill myself) to justify to go outside to do any shopping but it didn't prevent me to go to pick up some pizza at 9pm as long as I fill my paper. Now I am no more confined so I don't need anymore a paper to go out to do shopping or whatever, well almost because it is now totally forbidden to go to pick up a pizza at 9pm even with an authorization paper because of the curfew at 8pm... (France didn't have a curfew since world war II)

The world is becoming crazy.
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

Quote Originally Posted by wes4dbt View Post
    Crazy Brits
    pleonasm... friendly to my favorite VB English gentlemen
    The best friend of any programmer is a search engine
    "Don't wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom" (J. Rohn)
    “They did not know it was impossible so they did it” (Mark Twain)

PowerPoster

Interesting, potentially useful:

Those of us with beards scoff at your mask testing!!

PowerPoster

28 Days Later, or Beware The UK Mutation.

28 Days Later, or Beware The UK Mutation
    Again, look at the cause of the 1919 third wave.

We're replaying history and the sooner politicians actually try to learn from it the better.

PowerPoster

It is worth commenting that this was discovered in the UK and the UK has a lot of it, but nothing yet has shown the UK to be its origin.

At this point the "rona fungalitis" is everywhere, and the lack of rigid travel bans in most countries makes anything else impossible. Mutations are spreading the same way.

PowerPoster

Another good reason to mask up, wash your hands, distance, and isolate:

I had to watch the video because I was afraid that was a picture of earwax. I have that.

I assume it's meatloaf. I'm fine with Covid if it comes with meatloaf.

I had to watch the video because I was afraid that was a picture of earwax. I have that.
    That's probably what my liver looks like after a lifetime of drinking liquor

Well, I've tested positive. Feeling OK. Just a mild cough and headache so far and doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Anyone who's responded to any of my posts in the last 10 days should immediately self isolate.

Bummer. You should be on oxygen....cause, ya know, if you are NOT on oxygen, that usually leads to death. However, in this case, I believe you should go for a more intense oxidizer, just to be safe: You should be on nitrous oxide.

In all seriousness, I wish you a very mild case.

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Wishing you a mild case FD,

Why are you only telling us now your posts are infectious too? what's new?

any chance of getting a covid emoji added?
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

PowerPoster

Well, I've tested positive. Feeling OK. Just a mild cough and headache so far and doesn't seem to be getting any worse.

Anyone who's responded to any of my posts in the last 10 days should immediately self isolate.
    Does this mean I have to be nice to you?? Can't you just ban me for 10 days.

Wish you well

PowerPoster

Well, I've tested positive.
    Ouch. I hope it doesn't hit you hard.

I've begun wondering if it isn't nearly inevitable for most of us though. I hope the "low viral load = lower impact" theory bears out. It might be the only measure of control we have as individuals. Most of us haven't been able to remain isolated in orbit for the past year.

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm honestly feeling pretty good at the moment. Just a bit of a cough and a bit headachey. At any other time I'd probably have just sucked it up and gone into the office. Thankfully I work from home anyway so that's not even a thing. Also, I just bought Pathfinder so this gives me a chance to scratch my Baldurs Gate nostalgia itch.

I'm guess I'm a little nervous 'cause you know how this could go, but I honestly don't feel like that's where I'm headed.

Does this mean I have to be nice to you??
    Hell no! I enjoy the conflict. Keeps me sharp.

I've begun wondering if it isn't nearly inevitable for most of us though
    Could be but I still doubt it. It's actually still a very small proportion (though a very large number) of people who have been infected and I think the vaccination programs are going to outrun the infection rates. The biggest risk is that we get a new mutation that the vaccines don't cover but from the sources I'm reading that seems unlikely - particularly with the number of different vaccines available now.

Did you do the full test, where they swab somewhere that doesn't normally get visited?

somewhere that doesn't normally get visited?
    My tonsils. Yeah, that's the one.

That one just makes me gag, but then you get over it. The one in the back of the nose is truly horrible, because it makes the inside of your skull itch for long after.

PowerPoster

We've been seeing a pretty consistent pattern in the U.S. since the winter "heating months" began in the north. For the most part the "northern tier" has been doing relatively well compared to warmer climates.

Name:  0113.png
Views: 745
Size:  8.8 KB

This would seem to fly in the face of theories about fresh air ventilation, spending time outdoors away from others, low vitamin D generation with reduced sunlight exposure, etc.

There must be greater factors at work here.

Well, I can tell you people down here aren't spending it away frmo others... outside or in...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

There may be more axis of involvement than the more simplistic picture presented. Imagine that, life may not be simple.

I have no idea whether this is true, but it makes a certain amount of sense: If you're in places like WA and OR, where there bulk of the population sees cold AND rain during the winter, or places like the upper midwest and New England, which sees serious cold, perhaps the cold doesn't just mean that you stay inside more, but that you also don't move around quite so much. Staying at home indoors might be less of a risk than just staying indoors more.

More likely, the virus has just been around long enough to want to migrate south for the winter.

PowerPoster

If you like charts, this page is interesting too:

COVID-19 in the U.S.: How do Canada's provinces rank against American states?

Data seems to be retrieved and plotted on the fly, so full loading may take a while.

PowerPoster

Poor guy, liable to find his YouTube content censored. Admitting the origins of the virus? Giving Trump the slightest shred of credit? Oh my!

Page 42 of 137 FirstFirst ... 32394041424344455292 ... LastLast