Thread: hELP WITH LOADGRID QUERY

Hyperactive Member

hELP WITH LOADGRID QUERY

I HAVE A SYNTAX PROBLEM THAT IS KICKING MY BUTT. I'M SURE THE ANSWER WILL EMBARASS ME BUT HER IT IS.

Code:
     '****EXECUTE QUERY AND POPULATE GRID*****

SQL.ExecQuery("SELECT VendorName, MachineNumber,Date, Description, Quantity, Price, Quantity * Price AS TOTAL " &
                        "FROM dbo.Parts " &
                        "WHERE MACHINENUMBER =cbxMachNo.Text") 'FAILS

'  "WHERE MACHINENUMBER =13")                              'WORKS
            '  "WHERE [MACHINENUMBER] =" + cbxMachNo.Text)    'FAILS

LOADGRID()
    I NEED TO BE ABLE TO USE THE cbxMachNo.text as the item for the where statement but I cannot get the sybtax correct for this line.

Thanks

Re: hELP WITH LOADGRID QUERY

Maybe this:

Code:
    "WHERE [MACHINENUMBER] = '" & cbxMachNo.Text & "'")

That seems unlikely. If the query with a number didn't require single quotes, why would it suddenly require single quotes when you get the value from some control? The field is clearly numeric for that first variation to work.

1) Why did you use the square brackets on one and not on the other? It should make no difference, but it means you made two variations rather than one. Remove the square brackets unless you have a reason for them, or add them in the working test and confirm that it still works.

2) What error are you getting?

3) The first example will certainly fail, because you are not concatenating in the value from the control, but the string "cbxMachNo.Text" itself, which is not going to work. The second and third examples are written correctly, though I would use & rather than + in the third one. That should make no difference in this case, though.

The third example you gave is the right one, so if that is failing, it makes me think that what is in the control is not what you think it is. Therefore, put a breakpoint on the line and have a look at what cbxMachNo.Text holds.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Hyperactive Member

I had written this 6 months ago. with some help. I stepped away for a while due to health problems. I was aske to do some additional work making a grid to show monies spent on a piece of equipment. while looking around I believe I changed some of the query code by accident. What my re problem is to right some code (SQL) to add and sort some of the material out on a grid. that's my problem now. I am going to look for as many items to help me on the web and try before asking you guys for help.
    any pointers on where to go for info would be a help

Thanks
    Bill

PowerPoster

Yoour in the right place for help. You should start by answering Shaggy's questions.

This is another of those extremely frequent cases where people are told that there's a syntax error in their SQL but they don't bother actually looking at that SQL. There's no syntax error in the VB code so why are you looking at that? You need to look at the actual SQL code being executed, i.e. the contents of the String that you're passing to that ExecQuery method. I'd wager that, if you'd done that in the first place, you'd never even have had to post this question, because the issue would have been obvious. As Shaggy said, the issue is almost certainly that the Text of the ComboBox is not what you think it is and you'd have seen that immediately if you'd actually looked.