Thread: Randomising (an array) without repeats VB.net

Randomising (an array) without repeats VB.net

I hope it's okay to post a solution without a query!
    Last week, I wanted to randomise the order of an array (of FileInfo that defaults to numero-alpha order), so needed a way of generating random index numbers without repeating any. I couldn't find a very good solution online so came up with this. I thought it's pretty good (though no doubt could be more elegantly written), so wanted to share it somewhere should it help somebody sometime.

**************************************************************************************************** ********

To randomise the order of the items in an array (or similar).
    Create a list the same length as the array and populate it with the numbers of indexes i.e. index(0)=0, index(1)=1 etc
    Derive a random number then use that number to draw another number from the list – use it before removing it from the list.
    This means we can have repeated random numbers, but the numbers actually used cannot be repeated.

For example:
    (0) = 0; (1) = 1; (2) = 2; (3) = 3

2 is picked at random (from the range 0 to 3) so copy item 2 (number 2) from the array and put it into item 0. Delete item 2.

Now:
    (0) = 0; (1)=1; (2)=3

2 is picked at random again (from the range 0 to 2), so copy item 2 (number 3) from the array and put it into item 1. Delete item 2.

Now:
    (0) = 0; (1)=1

0 is picked at random (from the range 0 to 1), so copy item 0 (number 0) from the array and put it into item 2. Delete item 0.

Etc.

**************************************************************************************************** ********
    Code:
        Private Sub shuffle_Arr()

Dim i As Integer = myArray.Length - 1    	'how big the global array is 
            Dim tmp_List As New List(Of Integer)(i)     	'a temporary list for random numbers
            Dim myArray_2(i)		                   	'a temporary array to cache the random items
            Dim rnum As Integer = 0                           	'each random number
            Dim tmpRnd As Integer = 0           		'the number taken from the array randomly
            Dim temp As FileInfo                      		'temporary item of whatever type
            Dim s As Integer = 0				        'to count with
            Dim g As Integer = 0				        'to count with

While s <= 9  	                                        'populate the list with the number of its reference i.e. f(0) = 0, f(1) = 1 etc
                tmp_List.Add(s)
                s += 1    	                                        's counts up to the length of the list
            End While

s -= 1          	                                        's is now list length -1

For Each f In myArray			                'a global array 
                rnum = genRand(0, s)       		        'random number is 0 to size of list of numbers (and array)
                tmpRnd = tmp_List(rnum)		        'grab a number at random. 

temp = myArray(tmpRnd)                      'temp is randomly taken from the array

myArray_2(g) = temp             	        'populate temporary array from 0 up
                tmp_List.RemoveAt(rnum)              	'remove the used number – this can be done with a list. This means that the index can be repeated, but the items against the indexes are unique.
                g += 1                              		        'count up through myArray_2
                s = s - 1                           		        'count down as we loop round
            Next

ReDim myArray(i + 1)			       'clear the array	
            myArray = myArray_2.Clone		       'clone it from the randomised version.
        End Sub

Private Function genRand(min As Int32, max As Int32) As Int32
            Static rnum2 As New Random
            Return rnum2.Next(min, max + 1)
        End Function
    Last edited by Shaggy Hiker; Jan 13th, 2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: Added CODE tags.

Re: Randomising (an array) without repeats VB.net

Follow the CodeBank link in my signature below and you'll find two threads about randomising lists.

For future reference, please don't post unformatted code snippets as they are too hard to read. There are two buttons even on the simplest editor toolbar to format code so please make use of them.

Re: Randomising (an array) without repeats VB.net

Your code looks a little long-winded. Try this...

Code:
    Public Class Form1

Dim r As New Random
        Dim numbers As List(Of Integer)

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            numbers = New List(Of Integer)(Enumerable.Range(0, NumericUpDown1.Value).ToArray)
            Button2.Enabled = True
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            Dim i As Integer = r.Next(0, numbers.Count)
            Dim n As Integer = numbers(i)
            numbers.RemoveAt(i)
            If numbers.Count = 0 Then Button2.Enabled = False
            MsgBox(n)
        End Sub

End Class