Thread: Microsoft warning

PowerPoster

Microsoft warning

I got this email,

Microsoft account team <account-security-noreply@accountprotection.microsoft.com>
    To: I removed my email address

Jan 2 at 4:05 AM

Microsoft account
    Security info replacement
    Someone started a process to replace all of the security info for the Microsoft account we*****.
    If this was you, click the button below to bypass the waiting period by using your existing security info.
    This was me
    If this wasn't you, someone else might be trying to take over we*****. Click here and we'll help you protect this account.
    If you don't recognize the Microsoft account we*****, you can click here to remove your email address from that account.
    Thanks,
    The Microsoft account team
    I'm a little nervous about clicking the link provided and then signing in with my user name and password.

Anyone ever get a message like this, do you think it is actually from Microsoft?

Re: Microsoft warning

I believe that it is legitimate. My partner and I recently set up a new PC for her uncle and we had to change the security info from his phone number to hers and we got something similar. The idea is that the security info doesn't change immediately in case the change is not legitimate. If you did not initiate this change then I think that someone is genuinely trying to hijack your Microsoft account. Just be sure that any links you click are for the microsoft.com domain or a subdomain thereof.

PowerPoster

Thanks

I logged in to my account and nothing seemed to be changed. No real info in MS account that I'm worried about. Everyone in the world already has my email address.

btw - microsoft.com wasn't in the adddress, they used live.com.

if it was a legitimate email, clicking the link would not ask you to sign in again. It would be an expiring login link.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Sure sounds like phishing, especially since it was live.com.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing