Thread: HEIC picture files

HEIC picture files

IOS 11 now uses a newer, more compressed, file compression routine as default. The HEIC photos (.heic extension) can be read in Windows 10, and other ways for earlier OS's. Without doing a conversion to Jpeg (jpg), how can Visual Basic 6.0 load them into a PictureBox or and Image control? Googled, but found no direct solution.

The Idiot

Re: HEIC picture files

I know Windows Imaging Component (WIC) can read it, if you install the codec for it (HEIF Image Extensions)
    I use WIC together with Direct2D, but Its possible to use WIC and GDI/GDI+ together.

can you explain a bit further? How/where do I get the codec (and is that a typo (HEIF in lieu of HEIC)?)?

I simply want to 'load' HEIC pictures into either an Image Control or PictureBox Control in VB6. Maybe if you can explain a bit better, I might be able to figure that out.

PowerPoster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_E...ge_File_Format

I'd guess that .heic is a contrarian's synonym for .heif but who can be sure?

As far as I can tell GDI+ has some support for perhaps some subsets of the format. It's really a container format so an individual file might have almost anything in there.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...rmat-constants

The Idiot

The trick created the tlb and modules for it, but theres no HEIC/HEIF CLSID for it, that "id" need to be found somewhere. But it shouldn't be impossible to get it, maybe googling from other programming languages that uses WIC.
    you should check direct2d pages, its where The trick uploaded the package and go from there.
    so, load it and after that render it into a picturebox should not be that hard.

and it seems that GDI can do it as well, as dilettante pointed out, using ImageFormatHEIF
    but Im sure you need to install that codec first.

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    As far as I can tell GDI+ has some support for perhaps some subsets of the format. It's really a container format so an individual file might have almost anything in there.
    Just to piggyback a bit. GDI+ may not support it anyway based on this assessment:

I have the WebP codec installed and Paint opens it just fine. ImageFormatWEBP is one of those formats dilletante linked to. But GDI+ doesn't seem to want to read WebP images, at least with the flat APIs.

I guess someone could download the codec and simply see if GDI+ will open it.

I think modern MS Paint uses WIC or WIA?
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

PowerPoster

WIA just wraps GDI+ so I doubt it supports that family of file formats either. Even WIC probably only supports a subset, there are just too many kinds of crap one can cram into that container format.

I got nowhere with the GDI+ flat API after installing the extensions, even trying with the simplest examples I could locate. There might be new calls required or something.

Fanatic Member

The tests I have done in Windows 10 show that if Windows has installed the codec then the Windows Imaging Component can show it. Webp and Heif codecs are installed with 1909.

I have attached the WIC class I use. Also notice there is an undocumented setting value: Const WICBitmapInterpolationModeFant = 4&. The max for this is supposed to be 3 but 4 makes a marked improvement in image quality.
    Attached Files Attached Files

@Steve Grant: I could hoist your class for my AlphaBlendImage control to load .webp (and .heif) files to StdPictures and might use it for *all* other formats instead of GDI+ too.

Is this code public domain now that you posted it on the forums? I will most probably rewrite it completely but will surely use the ideas (and consts) in it.

Edit: AlphaBlendImage control has a GdipLoadPicture public function that can wrap 32-bit alpha transparent bitmaps into built-in StdPicture instances via hIcon handles.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Fanatic Member

I got it from the bottom of this post. Victor Bravo VI posted it. All I did was to find the new setting (4)

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ging+Component

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Grant View Post
    I got it from the bottom of this post. Victor Bravo VI posted it. All I did was to find the new setting (4)

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...ging+Component
    That's why it looked so familiar. All right then. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>

The Idiot

Steve Grant, that "4" is actually WICBitmapInterpolationModeHighQualityCubic and only available in Windows 10.

Fanatic Member

Thanks baka I see you are right. Luckily I am doing most of my work on Win 10 because I wouldn't use the WIC below 4.

As of commit ed578e9 the AlphaBlendImage control has a couple of WicLoadPicture and WicLoadPictureArray which are based on cWICImage class above and return StdPictures w/ alpha-channel support in an hIcon sub-type.

Unfortunately on my Win10 the reference autumn_1440x960.heic image bombs out with "Automation error\nThe image format is unknown" error.

YMMV as apparently Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17763.914] from cmd.exe is Version 1809 from winver.exe here on my machine.

Otherwise .webp images load just a ok w/ WIC.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    As of commit ed578e9 the AlphaBlendImage control has a couple of WicLoadPicture and WicLoadPictureArray which are based on cWICImage class above and return StdPictures w/ alpha-channel support in an hIcon sub-type.
    Can you help me to convert the loaded WIC image to a GDI image for further GDI+ processing?

I want to save the pic with GdipSaveImageToFile but i cant figure out how to get the GDI image handle from the loaded WIC image...

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    Can you help me to convert the loaded WIC image to a GDI image for further GDI+ processing?

I want to save the pic with GdipSaveImageToFile but i cant figure out how to get the GDI image handle from the loaded WIC image...
    WicLoadPicture[Array] + pvLoadPicture prepare a normal GDI device-independant bitmap DIB + lpBits which is then stuffed as an icon inside an StdPicture.

In pvLoadPicture easiest would be to use the intermediate lpBits array of ARGB pixels and plug something like GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0(lWidth, lHeight, 4 * lWidth, PixelFormat32bppPARGB, lpBits, hBitmap) to create a GDI+ bitmap in hBitmap instead of StdPicture which can then be used with GdipSaveImageToFile to persist to file.

cheers,
    </wqw>

thanks for the hint with the API GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0.
    i get now a bitmap handle with this API but when i use the handle with GdipSaveImageToFile the IDE crashes
    maybe the created bitmap handle is not compatible with GdipSaveImageToFile?

my code:

Code:
    ... some WIC api stuff to load a picture

930   hMemDC = CreateCompatibleDC(0)
    940   If hMemDC = 0 Then
    950      GoTo ReleaseHandle
    960   End If

970   With uHdr
    980      .biSize = Len(uHdr)
    990      .biPlanes = 1
    1000     .biBitCount = 32
    1010     .biWidth = lImageWidth
    1020     .biHeight = -lImageHeight
    1030     .biSizeImage = 4 * lImageWidth * lImageHeight
    1040  End With
    1050  hDib = CreateDIBSection(hMemDC, uHdr, DIB_RGB_COLORS, lpBits, 0, 0)
    1060  If hDib = 0 Then
    1070     GoTo ReleaseHandle
    1080  End If

1090  lReturn = IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy(pScaler, ByVal 0&, lImageWidth * 4, lImageWidth * lImageHeight * 4, ByVal lpBits)
    1100  If lReturn < 0 Then
    1110     sError = lReturn & " (w9)"
    1120     GoTo ReleaseHandle
    1130  End If

1140  lReturn = GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0(lImageWidth, lImageHeight, lImageWidth * 4, PixelFormat32bppPARGB, lpBits, lBitmap)
    1150  If lReturn <> 0 Then
    1160     sError = GDIPLUS_Fehler(lReturn) & " (w10)"
    1170     GoTo ReleaseHandle
    1180  End If

2120   If GetEncoderClsid("image/png", tPicEncoder) = False Then
    2130      ErrorMessage = "GetEncoderClsid: " & GDIPLUS_Fehler(retStatus)
    2140      GoTo ReleaseAll
    2150   End If

2160   retStatus = GdipSaveImageToFile(lBitmap, StrPtr(sTempImageFilename & ".png"), tPicEncoder, ByVal 0)
    2170   If retStatus <> 0 Then
    2180      ErrorMessage = "GdipSaveImageToFile: " & GDIPLUS_Fehler(retStatus)
    2190      GoTo ReleaseAll
    2200   End If

Btw, now seeing the final code hMemDC + hDIB seems redundant in this case -- you can allocate a 4 * lImageWidth * lImageHeight byte-array and use this as target for IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy and source buffer for GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0.

Check out GdipSaveImageToFile API declare too -- output filename should be ByVal As Long, structs should be As Any for ByVal 0 to work.

cheers,
    </wqw>

i tried that with the byte-array but IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy returns now the error code -2147024809 (WINCODEC_ERR_INVALIDPARAMETER)...

my code:
    Code:
    Private Declare Function IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy Lib "windowscodecs" (ByVal pThis As stdole.IUnknown, prc As Any, ByVal cbStride As Long, ByVal cbBufferSize As Long, pbBuffer As Any) As Long

Dim pBuffer() As Byte
    ReDim pBuffer(4 * lImageWidth * lImageHeight)

lReturn = IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy(pScaler, ByVal 0&, lImageWidth * 4, lImageWidth * lImageHeight * 4, ByVal pBuffer(0))

i found the problem:

i have to use pBuffer(0) without ByVal...

now everything works like i need it!

thx a lot for your help to point me in the right direction!

correct code:

Code:
    Dim pBuffer() As Byte
    Dim bufSize As Long

bufSize = 4 * lImageWidth * lImageHeight
    ReDim pBuffer(bufSize - 1)

lReturn = IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy(pScaler, ByVal 0&, lImageWidth * 4, bufSize, pBuffer(0))

do you have any idea why the first 2 pixel are empty when using your buffer-method with IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy & GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0 ?

Code:
    Dim pBuffer() As Byte
    Dim bufSize As Long

bufSize = 4 * lImageWidth * lImageHeight
    ReDim pBuffer(bufSize - 1)

lReturn = IWICBitmapSource_CopyPixels_Proxy(pScaler, ByVal 0&, lImageWidth * 4, bufSize, pBuffer(0))

lReturn = GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0(lImageWidth, lImageHeight, lImageWidth * 4, PixelFormat32bppPARGB, pBuffer(0), lBitmap)
    Name:  Screenshot - 22.10.2021 , 18_04_10.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  21.6 KB

It's not obvious if anything is wrong with thse two lines of code.

It looks like a whole horizontal line + 2 pixels are white. About the size of BITMAPINFO header. (Though these should have been black if header is zeroed out for some reason.)

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    It looks like a whole horizontal line + 2 pixels are white.
    The white line is a spacer between the grid line and the pic.

Only 2 pixels are missing...

after a lot of testing i found the reason for the missing pixels but i still dont understand why this happen

i have a WIC function to load a picture and to return a hBitmap for further processing with other GDI functions.

when i call this function i get back a GDI bitmap handle and i use this handle to save the pic in another format and convert it to a stdPicture but this leads to 2 missing pixel at the beginning of the pic.

if i do all this GDI-stuff (save/convert) inside the WIC function no pixels are missing in the converted picture.

is a returned bitmap handle from a function not the same as the handle from inside this function?

small Pseudo code example:

Code:
    private function LoadWICimage(ByRef lBitmap As Long)
     'some WIC stuff to load the pic
     GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0(lImageWidth, lImageHeight, lImageWidth * 4, PixelFormat32bppPARGB, pBuffer(0), lBitmap)
    end function

private function SaveImage(ByRef hBitmap as long)
     dim lBitmap As Long
     call LoadWICimage(lBitmap)
     GetEncoderClsid("image/png", tPicEncoder)
     GdipSaveImageToFile(lBitmap, StrPtr(sFilename & ".png"), tPicEncoder, ByVal 0)
     GdipCreateHBITMAPFromBitmap(lBitmap, hBitmap, vbWhite) <-- creates the Bitmap with 2 missing pixel at the beginning
    end function
    if i put the code from the function "SaveImage" into the function "LoadWICimage" no pixel are missing...

any ideas whats going on?
    Last edited by Mith; Oct 23rd, 2021 at 12:26 AM.

Lively Member

A few Web Links to perhaps visit for Heic/Heif information"

libheif is an HEIF and AVIF file format decoder and encoder
    https://github.com/strukturag/libheif

Open h.265 video codec implementation
    https://github.com/strukturag/libde265

Nokia Web Site with Heif info
    https://nokiatech.github.io/heif/technical.html
    https://github.com/nokiatech/heif

https://github.com/Kimbsen/heif

Javascript Heic Encode Decode
    https://github.com/alexcorvi/heic2any

https://github.com/ImageMagick/ImageMagick

Convert Apple HEIF images on Windows
    https://github.com/liuziangexit/HEIF...lity%20English
    https://github.com/liuziangexit/HEIF-Utility
    https://github.com/liuziangexit/HEIF-Utility-Native-DLL
    https://github.com/liuziangexit/heif
    HEIF Utility with Fluent Design System(Experimental)
    https://github.com/liuziangexit/HEIF-Utility-FDS

Other open-source H265 codecs:
    OpenHEVC (https://github.com/OpenHEVC/openHEVC)