Thread: How do I detail which database to create a view in SQL using vb.net?

How do I detail which database to create a view in SQL using vb.net?

My first attempt: (obviously not the whole query, but this is where its having issues)

Code:
    Dim viewCreationString As String = "USE [" & databaseName & "];
                                                CREATE VIEW [dbo].[" & ProjectNameTextBox.Text & "_view] AS SELECT DISTINCT "

Error: 'CREATE VIEW' must be the first statement in a query batch.

My second attempt: (again not the whole query, but this is where its having issues)

Code:
     Dim viewCreationString As String = "USE [" & databaseName & "]
                                                GO
                                                SET ANSI_NULLS ON
                                                GO
                                                SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON
                                                GO 
                                                CREATE VIEW [dbo].[" & ProjectNameTextBox.Text & "_view] AS SELECT DISTINCT "
    Error: Incorrect syntax near 'GO'.

Incorrect syntax near 'GO'.

Incorrect syntax near 'GO'.

Re: How do I detail which database to create a view in SQL using vb.net?

Turns out using the database prefix later on in the query helped determined which database the view was to be created in.

This worked:

Code:
    Dim viewCreationString As String = " CREATE VIEW [dbo].[" & ProjectNameTextBox.Text & "_view] AS SELECT DISTINCT "

Well, if you're connected to the correct database in the first place, then it'll be created in that database and then you don't need to worry about it.

And I'm not sure what you meant by
    database prefix later on in the query helped determined which database the view was to be created in.
    because what prefix you use in the query has no bearing on where it gets created... what has bearing is the context at the time the query is created.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

That's weird because I am connected with the sever admin creds, which has access to all databases and its still creating the view in the correct database...

You don't use "GO" in ADO.NET. That is specific to SSMS I believe.

What does your connection string look like? Are you specifying an Initial Catalog value? If so, that is the database that any SQL you execute over that connection will affect. If you don't specify a database, I believe that you connect to the default database for the login. You have to call ChangeDatabase on your connection in order to change the database you're connected to.