Thread: [RESOLVED] How to uninstall properly VB6 Enterprise IDE which didn't install properly?

Resolved [RESOLVED] How to uninstall properly VB6 Enterprise IDE which didn't install properly?

I tried to install MS Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition on my Windows 10 PC but it failed at some point.
    Though the installation failed, some software components did install, like Visual Source Safe and Fox Pro 6.0

I want to completely remove all components from my PC, and though there is UNINST.exe file which should do the un-installation, it also fails with error, "cannot find installation log, the un-istallation will stop".

How can I properly remove all MS VS 6.0 EE components from my computer?
    Or should I go and manually delete icons, files/folders, and also hack into the Windows registry?
    Last edited by kutlesh; Nov 30th, 2019 at 10:19 AM.

Re: How to uninstall properply VB6 Enterprise IDE which didn't install properly?

Others will probably chime in -- I don't know the answer you are looking for. In the past, when a rare installation of VB failed, I simply re-installed (full not repair) over existing failure. I had no problems. That may not be the best answer.

In the future. Always install VB and its service packs elevated "as administrator". Do not assume that because you have an administrator account that those actions are automatically elevated.

After installation is successful. Always run VB elevated. Always!
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Re: How to uninstall properly VB6 Enterprise IDE which didn't install properly?

Hmm, deleting folders, files and icons is easy. How about Windows registry keys? Does VB6 IDE put some registry keys? Because I cannot find them. Are they somewhere in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft ?

Hmm it should be:

Code:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Visual Studio\6.0
    and also maybe

Code:
    Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Visual Basic
    but not sure about this one.

Any other registry keys I should delete?

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by kutlesh View Post
    Any other registry keys I should delete?
    See this post.

Frenzied Member

Have you considered Rolling back to an earlier Windows Restore point ?

The last time I used System Restore was on my old Windows XP PC at home, and it went wrong.
    Well, I am not saying it doesn't work, or its a bad Windows feature, but I wouldn't go into adventure on my work computer

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by kutlesh View Post
    The last time I used System Restore was on my old Windows XP PC at home, and it went wrong.
    Well, I am not saying it doesn't work, or its a bad Windows feature, but I wouldn't go into adventure on my work computer
    Are there Restore points available in your computer ?
    Is there one recent enough to attempt a roll back, to see if that fixes your problem ?
    If so I would do the following -

1) Use an imaging program such as Seagate DiscWizard -
    https://www.seagate.com/au/en/suppor...ds/discwizard/
    It is free, provided that your internel drive, or one of your connected drives, is a Seagate.
    (If you are a Western Digital man, I believe they too provide a free DiscWizard)

2) Create an image to an external drive.
    I like to use the bootable version of the DiscWizard, so that Windows is not running
    (Particularly with all the ..@#$%^&*.. running in the background these days)

3) Verify/Validate the image

4) Rollback your Windows to an earlier Restore Point, to see if that fixes your problem.

5) If it doesn't you can always restore your drive back to before you read this post.

Though I might have done a good job with the above mentioned link of registry keys to delete, I finished the job by installing properly MS VS 6.0 EE on my Windows 10. And I managed to do it once I allowed my self to change permission to full control to specific system registry keys which were needed for the installation to succeed. It got stuck at some point.

Check this link: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/lui...on-windows-10/

And this one to change permissions on registry keys on Windows 10: https://www.groovypost.com/howto/tak...registry-keys/

I am not doing system restore on my work PC