Thread: Why do I get error "Unexpected error number 80040154: Class not registered"

Why do I get error "Unexpected error number 80040154: Class not registered"

I am now trying to build a VB6 package on Windows 10 using Package and Deployment wizard.

I get error:

Code:
    "Unexpected error number 80040154 has occured: Class not registered"
    What is the problem?
    Can I solve it and compile on Windows 10, VB6 projects?

Re: Why do I get error "Unexpected error number 80040154: Class not registered"

Do you get that error during the creation of the setup.exe? Are you running it elevated as administrator?

The forum has a section for Deployment & Packaging, you might want to browse/search there?
    http://www.vbforums.com/forumdisplay...ion-Deployment
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

[QUOTE=kutlesh;5434405]I am now trying to build a VB6 package on Windows 10 using Package and Deployment wizard.

I get error:

Code:
    "Unexpected error number 80040154 has occured: Class not registered"
    I also tried run as administrator

Kindly give the solution for this problem

I used third party tool to build installed for Win10. Didn't even bother anymore with P&D Wizard.
    Was it Inno Setup
    You have a build script and you modify it to suit your needs.

You can also use "Click Once" tool in Visual Studio if that makes things easier. But you will need the VB6 project compiled exe/dll or whatever as you cannot compile VB6 projects with Visual Studio 2005 and newer.

I am also guessing the error is related to some class/dll/assembly in P&D Wizard not being existent in Windows 10 register assemblies.
    But its old, and new tools exist, so why bother?
    Last edited by kutlesh; Jul 18th, 2020 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kutlesh View Post
    I used third party tool to build installed for Win10. Didn't even bother anymore with P&D Wizard.
    Was it Inno Setup
    You have a build script and you modify it to suit your needs.

You can also use "Click Once" tool in Visual Studio if that makes things easier. But you will need the VB6 project compiled exe/dll or whatever as you cannot compile VB6 projects with Visual Studio 2005 and newer.

I am also guessing the error is related to some class/dll/assembly in P&D Wizard not being existent in Windows 10 register assemblies.
    But its old, and new tools exist, so why bother?
    Comparing "Click Once" tool vs Inno Setup, which one is easier to package a deployment package?
    Is Inno Setup that easy?
    Where are they can be downloaded?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by LeonChan View Post
    Comparing "Click Once" tool vs Inno Setup, which one is easier to package a deployment package?
    Is Inno Setup that easy?
    Where are they can be downloaded?
    I can't compare ClickOnce because I never used it, but since many years I'm using Inno Setup, I don't use the Package & Deployment Wizard anymore.
    My strategy is as follows: make first an SxS installation, that means that I make the program "portable", but still use Inno Setup to install it into Program Files and create the necessary Windows shortcuts.
    Doing this, there is no DLL hell at all, and it installs as a normal program.
    Understanding Inno Setup is not that hard, but you may have to understand a bit its Pascal script.
    The most complex part may be to learn how to make the SxS installation.

There is not an easy way to install VB6 programs now as it was back in the old days with the Package & Deployment Wizard.
    I think this is one major issue with VB6 programs now.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

I still use setup2go on occasion and it produces a decent installer without the need to do any scripting.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.