Thread: Is there clean-build in Visual Studio 6.0?

Is there clean-build in Visual Studio 6.0?

I am working few days now with Visual Studio 6.0 and so far I see some *.tmp and *.log files created by VS 6.0 environment.

Is there some "Clean Project" button or can I somehow clean my project manually?

By the way, *.log files are just text files.
    How about *.tmp files?

They seem to be binary as ordinary text editor cannot display them as text

Re: Is there clean-build in Visual Studio 6.0?

.tmp files are by definition temporary. We have to clean these out manually. Note. Not all tmp files may belong to VB.

When the mood hits me, I'll go and select all the .tmp files and hit the DEL key. If I get a warning that one or more can't be deleted, I simply skip them and continue. The more often you clean these up, less hassle when deleting. I would think one could set up Windows task scheduler to run a batch that will clean on a routine basis?

Edited: Never clean these up while VB is open. If you delete its active tmp file, your current project in the IDE fails to run until you close VB. You'll get an error saying VB couldn't find the tmp file.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Nov 25th, 2019 at 04:37 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

In VB6 IDE-->Tools-->Options-->General tab, disable "Compile on demand". It seems to be the default. Here is what MSDN says about it:

"Compile On Demand — Determines whether a project is fully compiled before it starts, or whether code is compiled as needed, allowing the application to start sooner. If you choose the Start With Full Compile command on the Run menu, Visual Basic ignores the Compile on Demand setting and performs a full compile."
    Last edited by qvb6; Nov 25th, 2019 at 03:05 PM.

Fanatic Member

My guess is that if the IDE crashes, some of the TMP files might be used the next time, especially if you don't edit the corresponding source file. I don't know if that's what VB6 does, or saves flags in case of crashes, so not to use corrupt files. In C++, files are individually compiled into OBJ files, and source file timestamp is used to see if the file need to be recompiled.

Never used this option. Will definitely give it try.

As for the IDE crashing, yes it happens some times, when I try to add a new line or set some variable to a new object

Well, the problem might be me deleting the tmp files