Thread: Access 2000(Office 2000) runtime for a virtual machine?

Access 2000(Office 2000) runtime for a virtual machine?

We have old apps, built in Visual Studio 6.0 and back in that time, Access 2000 was used i.e *.mdb files.

I am building a VirtualBox Windows 7, 32 bit virtual machine, and i need minimal run-time to operate with at least *.mdb files. Maybe some xls files additionally.

Is there some package of office libraries available online that can enable me to use or at least run Access 2000 in my VB 6 application?

I can import the tables inside the mdb file so no connection to database(data source) would be required for now.

PowerPoster

Re: Access 2000(Office 2000) runtime for a virtual machine?

you do not need access to work with the .mdb files, ADO is installed with windows

you can also use ADO to work with .xls files as recordsets, but to work with excel object model you would need to install office, you can do a minimal install with just the applications required
    to install office requires an office installation package, there are some free viewers for some of the office applications, which includes some browsers

if you just want to manipulate or view data, ADO should be enough
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete

I want to view and maybe delete the data in the mdb imported tables. It would speed up the process of debugging.
    What are the free mdb viewers available? Can I download them over Internet?

I tried LibreOffice Base, but it opens the mdb in Writer
    I have LibreOffice 5.4 since I use Windows 7, 32 bit machine.

Can I use VS FoxPro to browse mdb files or maybe some other application that comes with Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition?
    Last edited by kutlesh; Nov 21st, 2019 at 03:00 AM.

PowerPoster

vb6 comes with a sample program "visdate" source code, can be modified and /or compiled
    i used to use it to initially create access databases, for use with vb6 programs
    source code needs to be updated to work with later versions of access database, but should work with access 2000 (or that maybe access 97) and earlier

i do not know if the instructions for updating visdata are still available on the MS web site or elsewhere, but i do have an updated copy
    i do my best to test code works before i post it, but sometimes am unable to do so for some reason, and usually say so if this is the case.
    Note code snippets posted are just that and do not include error handling that is required in real world applications, but avoid On Error Resume Next

dim all variables as required as often i have done so elsewhere in my code but only posted the relevant part

come back and mark your original post as resolved if your problem is fixed
    pete