Thread: Run-time error '-2147206461 (80043ac3)':File not found. Details: error

Run-time error '-2147206461 (80043ac3)':File not found. Details: error

Hi - I apologize in advance for my lack of VB knowledge. I am not a programmer. I inherited a bunch of VB Apps that are critical to the operation of our business. The person/company that developed them is no longer in the picture and no source code is available to us. For the most part, these work with no issues. I now have to upgrade workstations to Windows 10 and am running into many issues. I've installed the VB App on a new workstation. There is a package file and an .exe that should print a label generated from a Crystal Report. When I click the executable, the file opens. When I enter the necessary information and try to print the label, I get this error:

Run-time error '-2147206461 (80043ac3)':File not found. Details: error

This app does work on a couple of other Windows 10 machines with similar hardware and software. I can also generate a label using the Crystal Report. I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this as I don't know what 'File' it is not finding. Can anyone assist me? Thank you, in advance, for your help. If I can provide any other information, please let me know.

PowerPoster

Re: Run-time error '-2147206461 (80043ac3)':File not found. Details: error

Not having source code makes things much more complicated. Both from the standpoint of not having direct visibility into what is happening inside the program, and then also not having the ability to make any changes to the program if necessary.

Here's what I would recommend.

Download Process Monitor from Microsoft, get familiar with what it does and how it works, learn how to use filtering, etc.

Run Process Monitor, have it start capturing all events, run the program in question, perform the necessary steps for the error to be thrown, then stop capturing events in Process Monitor. Filter Process Monitor where "Process Name" is the filename of the program in question, and where "Result" "is not" "SUCCESS". You should find a "File Not Found" (or perhaps Path Not Found) event somewhere in the list of events logged, and the "Path" column for that event should be the name of the file that the program is looking for that couldn't be found.

Then it is up to you to figure out if that is simply a file that can be copied and pasted from a working device or if more steps than that is needed.

If you elevate the app to "as administrator" when launching, does problem go away? If it does, likely reason is that the app is trying to read/write to folders without adequate permissions.

You can also open the app in notepad and look for hardcoded paths or file names. They tend to stand out as 2-byte characters. If you find any, then that might give you another clue

Edited: My train of thought with above statement is that if you see file names/paths in the compiled code and don't see them on the PC, that could indicate what app expects. Especially if you see those things on the Win10 stations that do run the app. It is even possible that the app is trying to create its own subfolders, fails silently, then complains when it can't find a file it tried to write to it. Another problem is that without source code, we can only fling stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

But yes, if this is critical to your business, you are kinda screwed without the source code should a significant change need to be made.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Nov 19th, 2019 at 07:00 AM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

If you haven't Googled that error message I think you should:

Run-time error '-2147206461 (80043ac3)':File not found

The majority of the links I saw indicate run time DLL issues. Some have a list of the ones you need. You may be able to copy them from the older machine and register them on the new. This list is what we register when we port our older VB 6.0 programs from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I'm a little hesitant to list them but they are what we register:

Crystl32.OCX
    crpaig80.dll
    crpe32.dll
    crtslv.dll
    crxf_pdf.dll
    crxf_rtf.dll
    crxlat32.dll
    crviewer.dll
    craxdrt.dll
    craxddrt.dll
    craxdrt_res_en.dll
    craxddrt_res_en.dll
    exlate32.dll
    ExportModeller.dll
    implode.dll
    p2bbtrv.dll
    p2bxbse.dll
    p2ctbtrv.dll
    p2ixbse.dll
    P2ldb2.dll
    P2LIFMX.dll
    p2lodbc.dll
    p2lora7.dll
    P2lsql.dll
    P2lsyb10.dll
    p2molap.dll
    p2sdb2.dll
    p2sfs.dll
    p2sifmx.dll
    p2smcube.dll
    p2sodbc.dll
    p2solap.dll
    p2soledb.dll
    p2sora7.dll
    p2ssql.dll
    p2ssyb10.dll
    u252000.dll
    u25dts.dll
    u2dapp.dll
    u2ddisk.dll
    u2dmapi.dll
    u2dnotes.dll
    u2dpost.dll
    u2dvim.dll
    u2fcr.dll
    u2fdif.dll
    u2fhtml.dll
    u2fodbc.dll
    u2frdef.dll
    u2frec.dll
    u2fsepv.dll
    u2ftext.dll
    u2fwks.dll
    u2fwordw.dll
    u2fxls.dll
    u2fxml.dll
    u2l2000.dll
    u2lcom.dll
    u2ldts.dll
    u2lexch.dll
    u2lfinra.dll
    u2lsamp1.dll
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

PowerPoster

So little information it is hard to do much besides guess.

Just how old and creaky is this? If it dates to Windows XP where people were letting appcompat simulate the securityless Win9x environment then your problem could be UAC related.

For example User A might "install" the application and would sort of run for him through appcompat but then if User B tries to run it lots of libraries and data files would not be found.

You could have 15 PCs where the same user installed it as tries to run it and it might be fine (or it might be silently corrupting data while seeming to run correctly). A 16th PC could fail because a different user installed it while another tries to run it.

That happens because of registry and filesystem per-user virtualization.

This isn't very easy to unravel, much less correct without the source code.

Thank you all for your suggestions given the little information I provided. I will post results later today after I have a chance to try them all. These apps are pretty old and creaky (some files are from 2004), dating back to XP days. The install runs in Compatibility Mode for XP SP3.

Hi - Thank you for this suggestion. I am looking at my results in Process Monitor and I am not seeing any FILE NOT FOUND or PATH NOT FOUND. I am seeing a lot of NAME NOT FOUND and a lot of FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS. Should I be concerned with these? I also see a lot of BUFFER OVERFLOW and REPARSE. I really appreciate any advice you can give.

PowerPoster

Sorry, it had been several years since I've used Process Monitor in any meaningful way.

The "NAME NOT FOUND" events are what you should be looking at for events where the "Operation" column value is some sort of file access, and the "Path" column points to a file. Those are the events/missing files that should be followed up on further.

You may see a bunch of "NAME NOT FOUND" events dealing with accessing Registry keys or values, those should be ignored in the context of this issue.

Regarding the other events you are seeing, yeah, there's a lot of nonsense that goes on behind the scenes in Windows, ignore those as well.

Actually, after I typed that reply, I kept digging and found the PATH NOT FOUND entries. They point to the 'dsname'.ini and ODBC Data Sources.ini. There is a system DSN entered for the 32-bit ODBC so I am not quite sure what the problem is. I have to do a quick conference call but I will test a user dsn and see if that makes a difference.

The PATH NOT FOUND is referencing C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ODBC Drivers\'DSNName'.ini. The ODBC Drivers folder does not exist on this computer or any computer where the . Am I missing something here?

PowerPoster

That's likely the kind of cruft that you can ignore. Please see my last reply above about what to look for.

I would suggest doing the following:

Go through the steps of capturing events in process monitor again (clear out all existing events in process monitor first).

At the moment the error appears on the screen from your program, leave the error on screen, switch to process monitor, and stop capturing. Set up all the filtering as I recommended in my earlier post and scroll down to the bottom of the list of events. The culprit file will likely be the bottom event listed if you've filtered properly.

I did this twice because it seems strange but the final entry is NAME NOT FOUND and it references the registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\LanguagePac\SurrogateFallback\Segoe UI. Does that make any sense?

PowerPoster

No, as I said earlier, ignore anything to do with registry paths. You need to be looking for events relating to files, and if you followed my instructions, you should be starting from the bottom of the list in process monitor and working up.

I'm sorry, I can't devote any additional time with regard to this issue. I've provided as much guidance as I can.

Good luck.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate it.

I saw this error message once before a few years ago. The application ran fine on other PCs but not on the one I was asked to look at. It turned out that other PCs had been upgraded from 32-bit Windows 7 and were now running 32-bit Windows 10. The one the application failed on was new and running 64-bit Windows 10. The error was caused by the CR runtime not being compatible with 64-bit Windows.

Are the other machines running 32-bit Windows?

Thank you for the suggestion. These are all 64-bit machines. It even runs fine on 64-bit Windows 7. I uninstalled everything I could think of that uses any form of CR and/or CR Runtimes using Revo Uninstaller and will try to reinstall everything again today. I will post again with my results.

Uninstalling and reinstalling everything worked. I appreciate everyone's suggestions and assistance.