Thread: [RESOLVED] Convert a C# Windows Forms application to run in a Windows 10 tablet PC?

[RESOLVED] Convert a C# Windows Forms application to run in a Windows 10 tablet PC?

Hi!

I know that my doubt will seem stupid. But I'm really confused. I found nothing in my native language, all the results I got was in English. And I was a little confused by the answers obtained.

I developed a C# Windows Forms Application. This application is an economical social questionnaire that converts all the answers obtained into a csv file.

But for practicality, I want to use a Windows 10 tablet PC to do the interviews. So, I went to research if the tablet architecture was compatible with .NET applications, if it would work .exe files.

So I saw some answers saying this is not possible and I saw other answers saying it is possible.

Is it possible to run my application on a Windows 10 tablet PC?

Do I need to convert my application to this? If so, do I need to do this conversion using Microsoft Desktop App Converter? or not?

Is there any version of VS Community that I can use my C# code and form designer to do this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by vbnewbieuser; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Problem resolved

Re: Convert a C# Windows Forms application to run in a Windows 10 tablet PC?

Windows 10 is Windows 10. If your app runs on Windows 10 then it runs on Windows 10. You don't have to do anything. That said, as tablets are generally driven by fingers rather than a mouse, you need to design your GUI such that it is suitable for that environment. It will still be the same app though.

Re: Convert a C# Windows Forms application to run in a Windows 10 tablet PC?

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    Windows 10 is Windows 10. If your app runs on Windows 10 then it runs on Windows 10.
    Sir First, I want to apologize for being slow to respond. Unfortunately, I have a very complicated work schedule. Forgive me.

Second, I want to thank you for your attention and help.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    You don't have to do anything. That said, as tablets are generally driven by fingers rather than a mouse, you need to design your GUI such that it is suitable for that environment. It will still be the same app though

So, an .exe-like application, would work on a Windows 10 tablet, right? Being a Windows 10 tablet, I can use my Windows Forms application on this tablet.

I was in doubt as I thought I would need to convert the application to a more specific executable format, I thought there would be architecture mismatch.

But if mismatch doesn't happen then, I'll order the tablets right away.

Thank you very much! this case is resolved!

Superbly Moderated NeedSomeAnswers's Avatar

Re: [RESOLVED] Convert a C# Windows Forms application to run in a Windows 10 tablet P

I would have thought that you would need to create a Windows store app to install it on a Tablet ??

If it is a Tablet PC like a Microsoft Surface device then they run full windows 10 i believe, but the majority of tablets do not and so a standard exe will not install on them
    Please Mark your Thread "Resolved", if the query is solved & Rate those who have helped you

Re: [RESOLVED] Convert a C# Windows Forms application to run in a Windows 10 tablet P

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomeAnswers View Post
    I would have thought that you would need to create a Windows store app to install it on a Tablet ??

If it is a Tablet PC like a Microsoft Surface device then they run full windows 10 i believe, but the majority of tablets do not and so a standard exe will not install on them
    If the device is running Windows 10 S then it will only install applications from the Microsoft Store, but you can still have Win32 apps registered in the Store. That said, the OP did say a Windows 10 tablet. If it really is just running Windows 10 then it's just a PC and the fact that it's a tablet only affects how it's used, not how it works.