Thread: I want to share this with you all: FIND LOCATION LINE NUMBER WHERE APP CRASHES

Addicted Member

I want to share this with you all: FIND LOCATION LINE NUMBER WHERE APP CRASHES

Less well-known is the ERL function which gives you the line number where an error occurs. Most developers don't use this because this function returns 0 if the crashing line isn't numbered.

The trick is to number all your lines before you deploy your application to your users. If you do that, the ERL function identifies exactly where a crash occurs:
    Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    SampleErrorWithLineNumbers
    End Sub
    Code:
    Sub SampleErrorWithLineNumbers()

Dim dblNum As Double
         Dim dblRnd As Double

10   On Error GoTo PROC_ERR

' Randomly crashes on a line below:
    20   dblRnd = Rnd()

30   Select Case dblRnd
           Case Is < 0.2
    40       dblNum = 5 / 0
    50     Case Is < 0.4
    60       dblNum = 5 / 0
    70     Case Is < 0.6
    80       dblNum = 5 / 0
    90     Case Is < 0.8
    100      dblNum = 5 / 0
    110    Case Else
    120      dblNum = 5 / 0
         End Select

130  Exit Sub

PROC_ERR:
    140  MsgBox "Value: " & dblRnd & vbCrLf & _
                "Error Line: " & Erl & vbCrLf & _
                "Error: (" & Err.Number & ") " & Err.Description, vbCritical
    End Sub
    In the silly example above all the dblNum equations crash because of division by zero. The Rnd function gives a random number between 0 and 1, and based on the value dies on one of the lines in the Select Case statement. The ERL function identifies which line and displays a message box:

Fanatic Member

Re: I want to share this with you all: FIND LOCATION LINE NUMBER WHERE APP CRASHES

how set number all code lines ?

Re: I want to share this with you all: FIND LOCATION LINE NUMBER WHERE APP CRASHES

Quote Originally Posted by xxdoc123 View Post
    how set number all code lines ?
    You can put it manually, or you can find a addin than do it for you, like MZTOOLS, you have to pay, or http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...w-open-sources, it is for free

Fanatic Member

VBIDEUtils can add/remove lines number.

I use it in all my projects, and with the Error Handler, I can know where an error occurs on the clients sites

I'm using my VbCodeLines.exe utility in unattended build.bat scripts to (first copy all source files in a separate folder then) put line numbers to all source files references in the .vbp project file.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hi Bernie,

superb ! , and in addition your code can be used with the GwBasic.

… A wonderful world.

PowerPoster

In an enhanced VB, all this should be automatic or with integrated functions:

Automatically assign line numbers and a toggle button to see/hide the line numbers.
    A compilation option where, in case of error, to show an error message with the line number instead of crashing.

That's simple logic of what to expect in a developed language.

Unfortunately while in other languages collecting a stack-trace w/ line numbers can happend post exception and does not affect working code performance, in VB6 code lines *do* generate extra instruction to set (hidden) Erl variable before executing each statement. Yikes!

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Unfortunately while in other languages collecting a stack-trace w/ line numbers can happend post exception and does not affect working code performance, in VB6 code lines *do* generate extra instruction to set (hidden) Erl variable before executing each statement. Yikes!

cheers,
    </wqw>
    And couldn't that be changed (in a language refactoring) to work like other languages?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by gilman View Post
    You can put it manually, or you can find a addin than do it for you, like MZTOOLS, you have to pay, or http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...w-open-sources, it is for free
    I used to use MZTOOLS when I used VB6. Awesome addin. Lots to like about it, but one thing that stands out was the dotted lines that showing which if's belonged with which else's and end if's. If your still coding in VB6 MZTOOLS is well worth the investment.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    . . . but one thing that stands out was the dotted lines that showing which if's belonged with which else's and end if's.
    LOL, there is no such feature in MZ-Tools. . . but yes, it's awesome.

Must be some other add-in with the dotted line in the IDE editor after all :-))

cheers,
    </wqw>

PowerPoster

cheers,
    </wqw>
    ya know it has been a really long time. I could be remembering wrong, or confusing it with an auto indenter or something. Hell maybe I even had another addin back then . . .

PowerPoster

I would imagine that some of the newbies and novice users may find the tip useful. Those of us who have been around a while are generally well aware of the ERL option, It has been around long before VB. I used it a bit back in GWBasic but once line numbers were no longer required as part of the code I pretty much stopped using it though have added line numbers to a troublesome routine to help track down an end user error when I could not reproduce it myself. Most of the time it is not needed.

PowerPoster

cheers,
    </wqw>
    OK I looked it up .. it was codesmart I was thinking about. very much worth a look if you're still coding in VB6
    https://www.axtools.com/products-codesmart-vb6.php

Frenzied Member

If you use Erl as proposed consider that you do not have to number every line in your code. If an error occurs on a line without a number it will report the number of the first line above it which is numbered, it only reports zero if there are no numbered lines above it . So it is usually possible to just to 'bracket' sections of code with a numbered line at the top and a numbered line at the bottom.
    It is also quite crucial to identify the name of the Sub / Function where the error occurred in the Error message.

Frenzied Member

Dupe post

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Ink View Post
    If you use Erl as proposed consider that you do not have to number every line in your code. If an error occurs on a line without a number it will report the number of the first line above it which is numbered, it only reports zero if there are no numbered lines above it . So it is usually possible to just to 'bracket' sections of code with a numbered line at the top and a numbered line at the bottom.
    It is also quite crucial to identify the name of the Sub / Function where the error occurred in the Error message.
    works without line numbers it still reports the line number