Thread: Forum abbreviations of links is awkward...

Hyperactive Member

Forum abbreviations of links is awkward...

I think the way the forum abbreviates links makes it hard to use them. For example see how the links I posted on this thread are all the same and one cannot tell where the link goes or what the topic is because the middle of the link has been removed to abbreviate?

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...07#post5424307

I would suggest not abbreviating or putting better logic in for msdn links otherwise the links all say the same thing and the part that give a clue on the topic is missing. I have noticed OP just skip over the links and don't even look at them thinking they are wrong topic etc.

Re: Forum abbreviations of links is awkward...

I doubt this will happen. The powers that be won't even fix bugs with the forum so fat chance they will make a code change.

However, you can do this instead:

This goes to google

Hyperactive Member

One way of forcing URLs to be displayed in full is by enclosing the URL text in [SIZE][/SIZE] tags:

[URL="https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/hidpi/high-dpi-desktop-application-development-on-windows?redirectedfrom=MSDN"][SIZE=2]https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/hidpi/high-dpi-desktop-application-development-on-windows?redirectedfrom=MSDN[/SIZE][/URL]

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/hidpi/high-dpi-desktop-application-development-on-windows?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotrain View Post
    I think the way the forum abbreviates links makes it hard to use them. For example see how the links I posted on this thread are all the same and one cannot tell where the link goes or what the topic is because the middle of the link has been removed to abbreviate?
    If we can't trust you to post links to relevant threads - we don't need or want you here.

I'm on a lot of forums and this subject has never come up mainly because it isn't needed.

kfcSmitty's idea is the best.

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    If we can't trust you to post links to relevant threads - we don't need or want you here.

I'm on a lot of forums and this subject has never come up mainly because it isn't needed.

kfcSmitty's idea is the best.

Oh.

I see.

It would be nice to see the full link, but a quick hover with the mouse shows the full URL (exactly how and where depends on your webbrowser), so it isn't as bad as it could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by tommytwotrain View Post
    I have noticed OP just skip over the links and don't even look at them thinking they are wrong topic etc.
    That kind of thing happens to some degree no matter what we do... we just have to hope the people who do it learn quickly that it is in their interests to pay attention to the help they are given, even if they don't yet understand how what we've written applies.
    Last edited by si_the_geek; Oct 19th, 2019 at 07:18 AM.

Hyperactive Member

What a Jerk!

Thirty day ban should be enough time for him to figure out where he went wrong.

Ban lifted a little early.

Ban lifted a little early.
    You're a nicer admin than I ever was...... sometimes!

This is a technical forum, so I'd expect most people to know how to get around a "dotted" URL. The simple Right click --> copy link has never failed me yet.... I would imagine if there is a super long link that is critical to not have dots in the middle, then the poster would provide as shortened URL. Of course, you can always just click on the link and copy from the resulting page's address bar. So many solutions that this almost becomes a non-issue.....
    Have you given out your reputation points today? Select the Rate This Post link to give points for good posts!
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones
    Lots of Software, LLC
    (I wrote: C Programming in One Hour a Day) (Dad Jokes Book) (Follow me on Twitter)

--------------------------------------------------------------