Thread: No WPF .NET Core VB projects template in VS 2019?

No WPF .NET Core VB projects template in VS 2019?

I am starting a desktop database application project using EF Core. I want to do it in VB but I do not see a project template for WPF .NET Core. I have other templates for VB project using .NET Core and a C# WPF .NET Core template.

If VB is not supported for WPF .NET Core projects am I able to user .NET Core for all the other projects in the solution and EF Core for the database and use a WPF .NET Framework for the application? I feel like that would be a bad idea though if I can. I have only ever worked with .NET Framework and EF 6 so I really want to give .NET Core and EF Core a try.

Re: No WPF .NET Core VB projects template in VS 2019?

From what I can tell, .NET Core 3 supports VB to the same level as C# but it is the VB-specific features that are holding up inclusion of project templates in VS 2019. It appears that those templates are on the way but who knows when they will arrive. It may be possible to create a Console Application project and then jerry-rig it to create a WPF application but I'm not 100% sure how that would be done.

In the mean time, .NET Framework projects can only reference .NET Framework libraries, so creating .NET Core library projects to work with a .NET Framework application project is not an option. If you create .NET Framework projects now and full .NET Core support becomes available later, you should be able to simply drag and drop items between projects in the Solution Explorer.

Re: No WPF .NET Core VB projects template in VS 2019?

Thanks! Looks like I will just have to mix VB and C# until WPF projects are supported...