Thread: [RESOLVED] VB.NET 2019 Trying to Install Report Viewer

Resolved [RESOLVED] VB.NET 2019 Trying to Install Report Viewer

I've reviewed the other discussion here with no luck.

I have an existing VB Windows Form app. I've confirmed that I have Microsoft Reporting Services Project and Microsoft RDLC Report Designer. I used Project - Add New Item and I'm able to add a Report or Report Wizard.

I do not have the ReportViewer control.

This is post # 6 from the link above:

I just created a VB WinForms Application project in VS 2019 and installed the Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.WinForms NuGet package. A 'Microsoft SQL Server' section was added to the top of the Toolbox and it contained a ReportViewer item. If that didn't happen for you, I don't know what to tell you.

My issues is I can't install the ReportViewer control to my project using NuGet. Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.WinForms is not displaying. If this helps, the Package Source in the upper right hand side says: Microsoft Office Services Offline Packages. I did try to create a new project as mentioned in post #6.

Thanks for your help.

Re: VB.NET 2019 Trying to Install Report Viewer

Additional Info. At Tools-Nuget-Package Manager-Package Manager Console, I entered:
    Install-Package Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.Winforms -Version 150.1358.0 which I received from this link.

I got this error message:
    Install-Package : Package 'Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.Winforms 150.1358.0' is not found in the following primary
    source(s): 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\NuGetPackages\'. Please verify all your online package sources are available (OR) package id, version are specified correctly. At line:1 char:1
    + Install-Package Microsoft.ReportingServices.ReportViewerControl.Winfo ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: ( [Install-Package], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PackageManagement.PowerShellCmdlets.InstallPackageCommand

I looked at the folder and didn't find Microsoft.ReportingServices......

try this

1. Open Nuget Package Manager
    2. Search Microsoft Reporting Services Report view Control winforms
    3. choose version 150.900.148 and click install
    4. add the reportviewer by clicking toolbox and search for reportviewer.

hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by ahmish View Post
    try this

1. Open Nuget Package Manager
    2. Search Microsoft Reporting Services Report view Control winforms
    3. choose version 150.900.148 and click install
    4. add the reportviewer by clicking toolbox and search for reportviewer.

hope this helps
    Thanks for responding. I do have it installed and confirmed it. When I try to add it to the project, it's not finding the Microsoft Reporting Services extension.

same thing happened to me. there's a bug on the latest version of Report Viewer that's why im using the version 150.900.148. if you install the latest version it will not be available in the toolbox

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

No luck. When I go into Manage NuGet Packages, the Microsoft.Reporting services doesn't display

Update. Uninstalled Microsoft.Reporting.Services and RDLC Report Designer. Installed all updates to VS2019. Rebooted. Reinstalled Reporting Services (separately), then RDLC.

Using this link, I donwloaded version 150.900.148 as suggested by ahmish. Then following this link, I entered the file name in the Package Manager Console, and I got this error:

Code:
    PM> Install-Package C:\Users\Cathy\Downloads\microsoft.reportingservices.reportviewercontrol.winforms.150.900.148.nupkg

Attempting to gather dependency information for package 'microsoft.reportingservices.reportviewercontrol.winforms.150.900.148' with respect to project 'WindowsApp1', targeting '.NETFramework,Version=v4.7.2'
    Gathering dependency information took 270.51 ms
    Attempting to resolve dependencies for package 'microsoft.reportingservices.reportviewercontrol.winforms.150.900.148' with DependencyBehavior 'Lowest'
    Install-Package : Unable to resolve dependency 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Types'. Source(s) used: 'Microsoft Visual Studio Offline Packages'.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-Package C:\Users\Cathy\Downloads\microsoft.reportingservices. ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Install-Package], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NuGetCmdletUnhandledException,NuGet.PackageManagement.PowerShellCmdlets.InstallPackageCommand

Time Elapsed: 00:00:00.8846494
    PM>
    I don't know why Nuget keeps pointing to 'Microsoft Visual Studio Offline Packages' for the package source.

Any suggestions?

Just a hunch. I've never used SQL Server. I just checked and I have Microsoft SQL Server 2008 installed. Could this be the reason?

try and create a new project.
    in the winform then go to Tools > Nuget Package Manager > Manage Packages for Solution> search for Report Viewer winform version 150.900.148 > Click Install. try not to use package manager console or download it from a site. just install it directly from Visual Studio nuget package manager

ahmish, that was my first attempt in post # 1, it wasn't there. Then I changed to Package Source source folder to c:\Downloads\ and it pops up, but it's the one that I manually downloaded in post # 8.

I now get this:

Unable to resolve dependency 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Types'. Source(s) used: 'Microsoft Visual Studio Offline Packages'.

Which leads me to believe that I need to upgrade Sql Server or install Microsoft.SQLServer.Types. Oh, and that doesn't show up either when I use Manage Packages for Solution.

I did search my computer and Microsoft.Report.Designer.dll is present in Program Files x(86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\Common 7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\Rdlc.

Here is a very happy update! All of the examples I saw on the internet showed nugent.org as the Package Source. So, I brought up my rarely used Visual Studio 2013 and found two other sources listed that were not on my 2019. I found:

nugent.org at https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/
    and
    Microsoft and .NET at https://www.nuget.org/api/v2/curated...crosoftdotnet/.

I added these to my package sources. I did find and installed Microsoft.SqlServer.Types which should resolve my server issues and I have
    found the Microsoft Reporting Services Report view Control winforms, which I am going to install now.

The only issue I have remaining is that the older version of microsoft.reportingservices.reportviewercontrol.winforms.150.900.148 is not showing up on the list. From what I can see, I can directly download it from the Nugent website. Only the current version, the corrected version show up and neither one is putting the ReportViewer control on the form itself. The only ReportViewer control I see is in the Microsoft SQL Server group. The Reporting group of tools is not displaying.

Oops, found the version link and selected the older version.

I'm marking this resolved! Now it's time to create a report!

The issue that John mentioned in the other thread about the invalid cast, happened and his fix worked.

Thanks. I need lotsa chocolate!