Thread: Why do I set a static IP in my computer without network ?

Fanatic Member

Why do I set a static IP in my computer without network ?

In a LAN with many computers, only a few computers when I set static IP computer is not connected to the network but I set dynamic IP the computer works normally, how to fix this error ?

Re: Why do I set a static IP in my computer without network ?

This doesn't seem to have anything to do with programming.

Fanatic Member

I configured static IP is of course the full input already, in the LAN there are many computers set static IP works well but only a few machines can not set the static IP to Dynamic IP works, of course when I set a static IP that doesn't have duplicate IP but it still doesn't work, Why does win7 Ultime have this error ? Has anyone ever encountered this error ? If met, how to fix them ?

Not really a programming question....

However are you sure you are getting the address in the correct range, correct subnet mask, default gateway and DNS servers set correctly?

Fanatic Member

I am using a DrayTek Vigor 2925 modem, the LAN address range I set is as follows:
    From address: 192.168.1.2-> 192.168.1.9: used for servers, cameras, timekeepers, ...
    I use dynamic IP and static IP from the address: 192.168.1.10-> 192.168.1.210 = DHCP = enable server
    When I set a static IP, the computer did not report an IP conflict if the IP was not used, only a few computers could not access the network when I set the static IP to any of the addresses in the range: 192.168.1.2-> 192.168.1.254, My company has 70 computers, including 4 computers I can not assign static IP, I do not understand why? I have installed 4 new computers, but I can use it for about a month to get stuck.
    subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS servers: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

just clarifying: The static address you selected falls between 192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.209?
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Frenzied Member

Sounds like there must either be conflicting IPs that just aren't being reported or the networking stack on those PCs is corrupted somehow.

Sinecure devotee

Normally you would have the DHCP range set to give addresses in a range that you don't plan on assigning static addresses to, e.g. we have DHCP server set to assign addresses between 101 to 254, leaving addresses 100 and below for us to assign static addresses to.
    You don't want the case where you assign a static address which might be free at that time (not assigned by DHCP), but later when the static machine is off and some other computer needs an address and gets assigned the address, then the static machine will fail to get its static address, and will be assigned an arbitrary address, not in your subnet, by Windows in place of the static address.

You want to avoid overlapping static and dynamic address ranges in order to avoid such intermittent failures.

Fanatic Member

Thank you for answering my questions, now the faulty machines are working fine.