Thread: Create e setup.exe file with multiple DB

Lively Member

Create e setup.exe file with multiple DB

Dear all,
    I have completed an application and I'm about to deploy it into an exe file, but now I'm facing the following issues/questions:
    - I would like to create an exe file which will install also the db locally to the machine where the application will run (and possibly without installing sql server separately);
    - I have developed the solution connecting to three db, so in other words using three different connection strings within the same application. Unfortunately all the guides I'm reading to deploy the solution are considering just a single db connection from the application. Should I have to change my solution?

I have to admit that I'm completely ignorance on this - it's the first time that I'm trying to produce an exe file - so any kind of link, suggestion, guide that can help me in this is more than welcome.

Thanks,
    A.

Re: Create e setup.exe file with multiple DB

If you have completed the application then the VB.NET part is over. If you have a question about how to deploy that application then that belongs in the Application Deployment forum. I have asked the mods to move this thread.

Lively Member

Dear jmcilhinney,
    Thanks for your reply - sorry wasn’t aware that there is a dedicated page.
    Please let me know if there is anything I could do.

Thanks,
    A.

Thread moved to the 'Application Deployment' forum, which is where questions about installing/distributing your software belong

Quote Originally Posted by AndreB82 View Post
    - I have developed the solution connecting to three db, so in other words using three different connection strings within the same application.
    What is your reason for having three different databases (as opposed to multiple tables in one database)?

Lively Member

Dear si_the_geek,
    Two reasons:
    1. Maybe because of ignorance I could have more space available by default in each of the two sql express db;
    2. I’m managing basically different main objects in the application, so I have organized the tables accordingly.

Thanks for any suggestion you could provide,
    A.

There is a size limit of 10 GB (since the 2008 version I think), which is a limit that most people don't come close to (obviously it depends on what data types you use, normalisation, and how many rows etc). If that is actually a valid concern for you then multiple databases makes sense.

As for having separate "groups" of information in the database, that can be dealt with in a variety of ways, such as using a different Schema for each of them.

Lively Member

Dear si_the_geek,
    I'm actually ignorant about schemas and how to realize them.
    Do you have any link or document that I could read? I made a generic research, but couldn't find anything of relevant.
    How this is going then to impact the deployment of the application in terms of procedure to follow?

Thanks for your suggestion,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreB82 View Post
    I'm actually ignorant about schemas and how to realize them.
    Do you have any link or document that I could read? I made a generic research, but couldn't find anything of relevant.
    A brief introduction: http://www.informit.com/articles/art...16889&seqNum=2
    How to create a schema: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql...ql-server-2017

In terms of your project, anywhere you currently use TableName , change it to SchemaName.TableName

How this is going then to impact the deployment of the application in terms of procedure to follow?
    You can have multiple schemas inside the same database, so if you don't need the extra size, there will only be one database - so the deployment will be just one database, as in the guide you found.