Thread: [RESOLVED] Richtextbox RTF - I learned something

Resolved [RESOLVED] Richtextbox RTF - I learned something

Working on an application that reads RTF. In the past when working with Richtextboxes we have found that applications are faster using a RTB that mirrors a RTB on the UI. The mirror RTB is created and disposed on a thread.

What learned is that if I do this

bkgRTB.Rtf = rtbOnTheUI.Rtf

where:
    • bkgRTB.Rtf - mirror RTB
    • rtbOnTheUI.Rtf - RTB on the UI

The background RTB thinks / is on the UI. It is manifested by CrossThread errors.

The fix was to load the RTF into a string and then load each of the RTB's .Rtf property from that.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve
    Counting Bits -- Subnet Calculator -- UI Guidelines -- >> SerialPort Answer <<

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Re: Richtextbox RTF - I learned something

This isn't really anything specific to RichTextBox's. If you create two controls on different threads then any code that access a property of both controls must be executed on a thread that does not the handle of at least one of the controls, so a cross-thread exception is inevitable. It doesn't matter whether it is the Rtf properties of RichTextBoxes, the Text properties of TextBoxes, the Value properties of DateTimePickers, the Value properties of NumericUpDowns or something else. The very same rule applies here as with any other control in any other multi-threaded application: when you access a member of a control, you must do it on the thread on which the control's handle was created. If you have two RichTextBoxes that were created on different threads then any of their properties - not just Rtf - must be access only on their respective creating threads.

Not sure I understand that. I'll test the text property tomorrow. If I wasn't clear, the background RTB was created on the background thread. When I assigned the RTF property from the UI RTB I did so from the UI. That worked. It was when I accessed other properties of the background RTB that errors occurred.
    My First Computer -- Documentation Link (RT?M) -- Using the Debugger -- Prime Number Sieve

"Those who use Application.DoEvents have no idea what it does and those who know what it does never use it." John Wein

Quote Originally Posted by jmcilhinney View Post
    This isn't really anything specific to RichTextBox's. If you create two controls on different threads then any code that access a property of both controls must be executed on a thread that does not the handle of at least one of the controls, so a cross-thread exception is inevitable. It doesn't matter whether it is the Rtf properties of RichTextBoxes, the Text properties of TextBoxes, the Value properties of DateTimePickers, the Value properties of NumericUpDowns or something else. The very same rule applies here as with any other control in any other multi-threaded application: when you access a member of a control, you must do it on the thread on which the control's handle was created. If you have two RichTextBoxes that were created on different threads then any of their properties - not just Rtf - must be access only on their respective creating threads.
    In the following rtb is a richtextbox created on a background thread, and rtbIN is part of the UI. When I assign the .Rtf property I get errors later in the code when I access rtb properties, e.g. Dim lns() As String = rtb.Lines . When I assigned the .Text property the code runs fine. Seems odd to me.

Code:
                     'in the background thread
                      Dim rtb As New RichTextBox

Me.Invoke(Sub()
                          'rtb.Rtf = rtbIN.Rtf 'causes Cross-thread operation not valid later
                          rtb.Text = rtbIN.Text 'This works
                      End Sub)

Sinecure devotee

I would assume that
    rtb.Rtf = rtbIn.Rtf
    isn't making a copy of the text, it is copy of a reference, so both rtbs are referencing the same Gui object.
    Later when you try to use that reference from the other thread, you get the error because you're trying to reference an object created on the Gui thread.

The .Text might work, because .Text is a String, and a String is treated as a Value type, not a reference type. So, both rtb's may be referencing the same string, but because it is treated as a value type, and is immutable, it won't cause a object Cross-thread operation error.

In either case, since it seems like you intend to make a copy of the data, rather than a reference to the data, you shouldn't be doing an assignment like you are. I don't know if the .Rtf has a clone method to create a copy or not. Should look it up, but not curious enough.

Saying Rtf might not be a string is like saying JSON might not be a string... It is... You really should have looked it up. 15 seconds would have saved you some grief.

It does seem odd though. The only thing I can think of is that there's something going on with the internals of the RTB in its rendering. With .Text, it just simply displays the text that's passed to it. With the .Rtf property though, it has to parse it and render it with its formatting. So clearly there's something else going on. But what it is, I couldn't say.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *