Thread: How do I get rid of Msgbox when opening Microsoft Visual Basic 6 ???

Hyperactive Member

Question How do I get rid of Msgbox when opening Microsoft Visual Basic 6 ???

hi

How do I get rid of Msgbox when opening Microsoft Visual Basic 6 ??Name:  225091507.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  21.9 KB

Re: How do I get rid of Msgbox when opening Microsoft Visual Basic 6 ???

Are you using VB6 SP6?
    Which version of Windows?

First start with disabling the addins you use, to see which addin may cause the problem.
    Because my VB6 version hardly ever shows this message.

Hyperactive Member

Are you using VB6 SP6? Yes
    What is the Windows version? Windows10
    No add-ons!!

Yes you have, you have at least the "Visual Component Manager" as an active Add-In.
    Because that's the component which gives the error message.

Hyperactive Member

Thank you very much for the continuous support

PowerPoster

The solution is:

Navigate to the VB6 installation folder, usually
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98

and rename or delete DATAVIEW.DLL

Hyperactive Member

Still the same problem !!!??

PowerPoster

Are you starting VB6 as admin?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Mysystem View Post
    Still the same problem !!!??
    Did you do what I said in post #6?

Hyperactive Member

Yes

You can not get the same message if you disabled the AddIn from loading in the IDE.
    Because the message box clearly shows "Visual Component Manager"

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Mysystem View Post
    Yes
    Strange, that's has been the solution for several installations that I've made after the discovery, and had worked also for others so far.
    (Ensure that you did it right)

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    You can not get the same message if you disabled the AddIn from loading in the IDE.
    Because the message box clearly shows "Visual Component Manager"
    I think this add-in cannot be disabled.

PowerPoster

I see that popup at times on my Win10 system, other times I do not get it. Nothing really different between the times it shows and doesn't. It just pops up sometimes no matter if I just start the IDE from the shortcut or by opening a vbp, doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it, it just sometimes appears, once closed everything seems to work fine but then I do not do much in VB6 on the Windows 10 system. I have a Windows 7 machine that I usually do my VB6 work on.

Since I deleted DATAVIEW.DLL from my C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98 folder, I don't think I've ever seen it again.

Also, as outlined above, I'm running VB6_SP6, and running the IDE as admin. I also use extremely few add-ins and only load one on IDE startup (a little No VBW add-in I picked up from somewhere).
    Last edited by Elroy; Sep 10th, 2021 at 11:44 AM.
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

PowerPoster

DataView is part of VB6 and works fine. I have never had that problem with it on any version of Windows. I don't believe that it is related to the VCM at all.
    Last edited by dilettante; Sep 10th, 2021 at 12:00 PM.

Hyperactive Member

Thanks everyone for trying to help

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
    DataView is part of VB6 and works fine. I have never had that problem with it on any version of Windows. I don't believe that it is related to the VCM at all.
    The problem doesn't always show up.
    Usually it start to appear after installing an old Office version (or some other app).
    Even in that situation, the message usually doesn't always appear, it happens like DataMiser said (sometimes -most of the times-).

Deleting that unneeded and obsolete DLL fixes it (only Mysystem said it didn't work, but who knows what else could be happening in that case).

I don't believe that it is related to the VCM at all.
    You can not believe, but the message says so:

Name:  225091507.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  21.9 KB

PowerPoster

I said I don't think DataView is related to the VCM. What wasn't clear about the way I said that the first time?

PowerPoster

I said I don't think DataView is related to the VCM. What wasn't clear about the way I said that the first time?
    But then how it fixes the problem (if it has nothing to do)?

PowerPoster

Who can say?

When you have a screwed up installation of VB6 all bets are off. Perhaps when VB6.exe fails to load DATAVIEW.DLL it stops doing anything more in that part of its initialization?

Bashing at things under the hood with a hammer until they seem to sort of work is pretty weird. Why not just repair the installation?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Eduardo- View Post
    But then how it fixes the problem (if it has nothing to do)?
    I have saw people report that same error but with Dataview at the top rather than VCM. I have only saw it related to VCM myself.

PowerPoster

Who can say?

When you have a screwed up installation of VB6 all bets are off.
    I don't have "a screwed up installation" and I don't believe many of the folks that had the problem here had such, either.

Better say that you don't have an old Office version installed (and you was lucky), that's more likely why you never experienced it (so far).

Perhaps when VB6.exe fails to load DATAVIEW.DLL it stops doing anything more in that part of its initialization?
    I don't know, all can I say is that everything works fine.

Bashing at things under the hood with a hammer until they seem to sort of work is pretty weird. Why not just repair the installation?
    Repair what? Do you have another solution?

It seems to be a bug in VB6. One of many, it is not perfect. We won't get a fix from MS.

The installation gets repaired doing this, until we have any proof that it breaks something like you imply (what is almost certainly wrong, seeing the result).

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I have saw people report that same error but with Dataview at the top rather than VCM. I have only saw it related to VCM myself.
    Yes, they might be two very similar but different problems.

Just tested, I renamed the DLL to the original name and opened VB6 like 20 times and didn't get the message now (I have another Windows installation). It must be that I don't currently have an offending Office version.

I'm checking and the VCM can be opted-out in the setup.
    In fact, I have that unselected:

Name:  VCM.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  46.0 KB

That must be the solution for the OP.

PowerPoster

I have Office 2003 installed as well as VB6. No problems here, Data View window works great.

PowerPoster

I have Office 2003 installed as well as VB6. No problems here, Data View window works great.
    I don't remember if it was Office 2007 or what version.
    I currently have also version 2003 and in my recent testing (see post #23) did not experience the problem either.

Also, I think it started to appear with Windows 10, may be they fixed it in the latest W10 version (I have 21H1 and I think you too).

PowerPoster

I've used Windows 10 from almost the very beginning, never had this issue.

If you uncheck the VCM you may as well uncheck "Repository" too. VCM is just a Repository client.

PowerPoster

I've used Windows 10 from almost the very beginning, never had this issue.

If you uncheck the VCM you may as well uncheck "Repository" too. VCM is just a Repository client.
    I unchecked just that and it works fine.
    Repository? I don't remember what that was for.

I used to have the issue for a long time (as many do).
    Now I think that they must be two different issues, and two fixes: uncheck the VCM and rename the DATAVIEW.DLL.

I think the other error message is the same but it says 'Dataview' at the message title bar instead of 'Visual Component Manager'.

Of course, if you don't have any of these issues you don't need to fix them.

About the circumstances: some version of Office can cause it, maybe perhaps along with a Windows version, or, instead of Office, it might be another app that also can cause the conflict.
    I remember that some people had reported not to have Office installed but anyway saw the message (at least one of the two messages).
    What I can attest is that in the past it appeared after installing Word, and if I uninstalled it the problem went away. I think that one was the Dataview message.

The Visual Component Manager message should be easier to fix, just do not install it. The other one was harder to get rid of.

But it has nothing to do with an "improper" VB6 installation.
    I recall it appeared after a clean new Windows, VB6 and Word installation.

Now it seems it does not happen anymore here, who knows why.

I have these instructions written to install VB6 (along with other steps):

Custom options:
    uncheck VC++, Fox, Sourcesafe
    In Data Access
    uncheck ADO, RDS... (the first)
    uncheck Data Environment (the last)
    In Enterprise Tools
    uncheck Visual Component Manager
    uncheck Visual Studio Analyzer (the last)
    In Tools
    uncheck Ole/Com Object Viewer

After installation rename o delete DATAVIEW.DLL

PowerPoster

Data Environment works great, and is very powerful. It even includes a SQL Builder. No idea why you'd delete that. OLE View is quite valuable. And as I said, the Data View is very handy and works just fine. You can open tables, stored views, and queries and then browse or even update data with it from the IDE without writing any code.

My guess is that most people never read the manuals or took the classes, so these power tools are a mystery to them.

PowerPoster

No idea why you'd delete that.
    Because I don't need it may be?

OLE View is quite valuable.
    Because I don't use it.

I must admit, I unchecked some items quite randomly and since it installed fine, I have written down the selection.

I think I just use the bare IDE, and sometimes SPY++.

And as I said, the Data View is very handy and works just fine.
    For you that like to investigate all this old stuff, and more important, that you don't have the issue of the annoying message.

You can open tables, stored views, and queries and then browse or even update data with it from the IDE without writing any code.
    I use Access.

My guess is that most people never read the manuals or took the classes, so these power tools are a mystery to them.
    You can be totally sure that most people don't read manuals, it is not a guess, it is a know fact.

But about these tools... I don't think there are many that at least nowadays worth the effort of studying (but may be I'm wrong).

Or may be some could be useful, and you could write articles about them or help people here in this forum, but not everybody have the same priorities, hobbies, tastes, opinions and want to do the same things.
    Also, not everybody had the chance to take the same courses, and there are a lot of differences between people, economic, cultural, genetic, upbringing, etc.

Not everybody need to think exactly like someone else. So you can have an opinion, a preference, and other people have other priorities.
    Sometimes it is not that one only way is right, and everything else is wrong.

People have their strengths and weaknesses. Some people some strengths, other people others.
    You are good at studying every official information. That's good. Not everybody does that. You obviously like that, but not everybody does.

The point is: do not pretend that everybody will do (or have to do) what you do.

PowerPoster

I think it is safe to say that message is not related to having an older version of Office installed as there are no versions of Office on this PC nor any other old MS software other than VB6 installed.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    I think it is safe to say that message is not related to having an older version of Office installed as there are no versions of Office on this PC nor any other old MS software other than VB6 installed.
    As I said before, it is one of the reasons but not the only one.
    I'm totally sure that the message appeared after installing Word and got way uninstalling it (at the time I still didn't have the solution).

And it seems that the Windows version also came into play (also repeating what I've said).

I've seen that show up when opening certain projects over the years. Never knew what caused it or care to figure why since it's harmless as far as I could tell.
    Treeview with NodeAdded/NodesRemoved events | BlinkLabel control | Calculate Permutations | Object Enums | ComboBox with centered items | .Net Internals article(not mine) | Wizard Control | Understanding Multi-Threading | Simple file compression | Demon Arena

Copy/move files using Windows Shell | I'm not wanted

C++ programmers will dismiss you as a cretinous simpleton for your inability to keep track of pointers chained 6 levels deep and Java programmers will pillory you for buying into the evils of Microsoft. Meanwhile C# programmers will get paid just a little bit more than you for writing exactly the same code and VB6 programmers will continue to whitter on about "footprints". - FunkyDexter

There's just no reason to use garbage like InputBox. - jmcilhinney

The threads I start are Niya and Olaf free zones. No arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign. - yereverluvinuncleber

and.....As I mentioned above, it has happened to me on occasion...and like Niya, it doesn't really affect much as far as I can see. I DID rename that DLL file sometime in the past (not sure when), and, like DM, not sure if the message has shown up since I renamed it. And, as well, I am not certain if the pop-up I get/got had a VCM title to it or not...the message was the same, but not sure of the title.

Anyway...If op deletes or rename that DLL and it doesn't stop it, I'd say, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT...yeah, a bit of a nuisance as it takes up a couple of SECONDS of my time to move the mouse over to it and say OK, but, it is only a bit of a nuisance.
    Sam I am (as well as Confused at times).