Thread: [RESOLVED] Visual Studio 6.0 multilingual support bug in Windows 98 (Visual C++)

Resolved [RESOLVED] Visual Studio 6.0 multilingual support bug in Windows 98 (Visual C++)

Hi. I'm a fan to old apps and old OS like Windows 98. I am also creating a game that shall run on Windows 98, but I'm kind of stuck on language settings. I am using Windows 98 in Czech Language and installed a multilingual support right beforehand with the installation of Windows 98. That means I have wide variety of codepages installed, all OEM DOS codepages and ANSI Windows codepages.

I have them in system folder:
    Name:  VS6ERR02.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  44.4 KB

and even in registry:
    Name:  VS6ERR03.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  35.1 KB

I've also done check according to the instructions for multilingual support in Visual Studio C++ readme, I have everything correct:
    Name:  VS6ERR04.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  66.3 KB

Code:
    Installing the National Language Support Files on Windows 95/98

Run the registry editor (RegEdit):

The key My Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ System \ CurrentControlSet \ control \ Nls \ Codepage lists all the code pages that are installed, and can be installed on your system. Note that in this key, the value name specifies the code page, and the value data specifies the file which contains the code page information. Installed code pages have an entry for value data, whereas code pages that are not installed do not specify an entry in the value data field.

To install additional code pages, first copy the appropriate .nls file(s) from your OS CD-ROM into the Windows system directory. This is the SYSTEM subdirectory under your Windows directory.

Second, in the appropriate registry key (see above), select the codepage entry for the file you just copied. Select Modify from the Edit menu (or double click the codepage entry) to bring up the Edit String dialog box. Enter the name of the file you just copied in the value data field. Click the OK button.

Close the registry editor. You have completed the installation of the additional code pages.
    Yet it still can't recognise this particular codepage (highlighted in all previous screenshots):
    Name:  VS6ERR01.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  28.2 KB

I am building application with Visual C++ 6.0, so I posted it here. I assume that the topic for old VB versions is just for Visual Basic, which I'm not using in this case. If this is wrong subforum, feel free to move it. I posted it where I think it belongs.

I really want my game to run under Windows 9x, simply because there are still people who use it today, and it's not just virtual machine, they use it also on an older physical machine, for testing purposes, or for retro gaming, or for some reasons they need to use software that cannot be run on later versions of Windows. Windows 9x supported programs are very versatile in terms of compatibility, becase they run on pretty much all editions of Windows starting with Windows 9x family (Windows 95, 98, Me). Naturally, I want my game to be supported by widest variety of Windows editions (not counting 16bit Windows editions).

But this really stumped me and I don't know how to deal with it. Certainly, it is a bug and it just can't for some reason see the other codepages. Please, is there anybody who knows how to deal with it and repair this bug?

This is VMware Workstation virtual machine, with Windows 98 SE (Czech language) installed with additional VMware Guest Tools installed on this system.

PowerPoster

Re: Visual Studio 6.0 multilingual support bug in Windows 98 (Visual C++)

If you can track down a version of Process Monitor that works with Windows 98, I would recommend:
    Running it
    Start gathering events
    Tepeat the steps to generate the error message you posted
    Stop event gathering in Process Monitor
    Dig through the logged events for anything referencing "1252", or for events with a status other than "SUCCESS" and see if there are files/registry values that are being looked for - and are missing - in places outside of the places you've outlined above.

I never did use Visual C++ 6.0 very much, but on a related note to wanting to write code for older OS's, I won a copy of Borland C++ Builder 3.0 about 20 years ago in a programming competition. I installed it right away, wrote one simple program with it, and then didn't use it again since I was well versed in VB 6.0 and didn't see the advantage of using it. Fast forward to recently, I had a desire to go back and take a second look at it. BCB 3.0 was released when Windows 98 and NT 4.0 were the dominant home and corporate OS's, respectively. It hasn't aged that well, it has some compatibility issues even with older OS's, but I got it installed on my development machine, and in the last few months have written a bunch of games with it (Checkers, Arkanoid, Othello, Whist, Cribbage, Yahtzee, Tetris, and a few others), and a bunch of custom components (analogous to a VB user control). I still keep telling myself I have no idea what I'm doing with BCB, because I really don't, but I like the challenge and there is just enough documentation still available online for BCB to help me out when I get stuck.

Good luck with your issue.

I downloaded a version from SourceForge.net, still in Alpha, last update 2003. It runs perfectly under Windows 98, but the issue is it's in Spanish (the English version is unavailable):
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/pro...Release%200.3/

What is the Spanish translation for gathering events? If you can tell, without translator? Because using translator for everything, I guess that gets old too soon...

Another issue. I can't find download for WMI that works under Windows 98. Microsoft has removed it from their sites.

Strange. I managed somehow to download an archived version of WMI for Windows 9x and install it. Launched Process Monitor (no gathering events option I could see), and tried to reproduce the bug. Doesn't do it anymore. Strange...