Thread: Runtime error when trying to resize a PNG picture

Hybrid View

Fanatic Member

Runtime error when trying to resize a PNG picture

Searching in this forum, I found a good piece of code to resize the image in a picturebox to fit the picturebox.
    That is the code in post #5 under this thread: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...e-image-to-fit
    It works fine with bitmap, jpeg and gif files.

Then I searched this forum again and found a piece of code that lets us load a PNG file into a picturebox.
    It was provided by LaVolpe (Many thanks to him).
    Here it is:
    Code:
    Private Function RenderPNG(Filename As String, hDC As Long, X As Long, Y As Long) As Boolean
        On Error Resume Next
        GDIsi.GdiplusVersion = 1&
    '    GdiplusStartup gToken, GDIsi
    '    If Err Then
    '          Err.Clear
    '          Exit Function
    '    ElseIf gToken = 0& Then
    '         Exit Function
    '    End If
        On Error GoTo 0
        Call GdipCreateFromHDC(hDC, hGraphics)
        If hGraphics Then
            Call GdipLoadImageFromFile(StrPtr(Filename), hBitmap)
            If hBitmap Then
                GdipDrawImage hGraphics, hBitmap, X, Y
                GdipDisposeImage hBitmap
                RenderPNG = True
            End If
            GdipDeleteGraphics hGraphics
        End If
    '    GdiplusShutdown gToken

End Function
    This code also works fine, and shows a PNG file in a picturebox.
    However, when I use that resize piece of code to resize the PNG image to fit the picturebox, it gives me a runtime error:
    Run-time error 481: Invalid picture.

This is the exact line of code that gives me that run-time error:
    Code:
    Picture1.PaintPicture Picture1.Picture, _
        0, 0, Picture1.ScaleWidth, Picture1.ScaleHeight, _
        0, 0, Picture1.Picture.Width / 26.46, _
        Picture1.Picture.Height / 26.46
    How can I fix this?

I am really looking for a minimallistic way of doing it.
    I don't think I'd be comfortable with subclassing or very complicated approaches. I have never done subclassing before.
    Hopefully there is an easy way of resizing a PNG image.

Please advise.
    Thanks.

Re: Runtime error when trying to resize a PNG picture

Is the value of Picture1.Picture zero? When you draw onto a picturebox, you are not drawing into the Picture property. Drawing has no effect on the picture property. If there wasn't a picture handle there before, there isn't one afterwards.

1. Make the picturebox AutoRedraw = True
    2. Resize the picturebox before drawing, to the size you want the "picture" to be
    3. Cls before drawing then draw on it at the same size as your picturebox
    4. Then: Set Picture1.Picture = Picture1.Image. That set's the picture property
    5. You can remove AutoRedraw if desired

P.S. The GdipDrawImage will render the picture using any embedded DPI settings within the PNG. And last but not least, when you start GDI+, you still need to terminate it. You rem'd out the GdiplusShutdown call -- it needs to be called once for each Token you create from GdiplusStartup

All of the above said, I think you simply used the wrong GDI+ function for drawing. GdipDrawImage can only draw full scale. GdiplusDrawRectIRectI is more like PaintPicture/StretchBlt you could have used that instead, within your RenderPNG function. The example, you used & quoted me, was likely from a post where actual size was wanted.

Edited: Once saved into a VB picture object, transparency is permanently lost. Minimalist code is not always the best code.

The easiest way (on Vista or better) to draw a PNG actual size, to include any, transparency, is to load the PNG as an Icon into a stdPicture object (via a few APIs). Then use DrawIconEx API to render it wherever you need. That option only applies to PNGs. Note that I mentioned actual size... scaling icons other than actual size produces less than desirable results in most cases.

There are many ways today, that we can merge GDI+ with VB picture objects. But the solutions are usually heavy code contained in usercontrols or classes. If you don't mind trying a class, here is one in the code bank. If you don't like it, just remove it. Using that class, your example simplifies to this:
    Code:
    Dim cStdPicEx As stdPicEx2
    Dim tpicPNG As StdPicture

Private Sub Command1_Click()
        Set tpicPNG = cStdPicEx.LoadPictureEx(FileName)
        cStdPicEx.PaintPictureEx Picture1, tpicPNG, 0, 0, Picture1.ScaleWidth, Picture1.ScaleHeight
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
        Set cStdPicEx = New stdPicEx2
    End Sub
    Using that class, you can even load PNGs into VB image controls
    Code:
    Set Image1.Picture = cStdPicEx.LoadPictureEx(FileName)
    That class is very heavily commented for anyone interested in knowing more or wanting to modify it to suit specific needs.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jun 30th, 2019 at 10:36 PM.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    There are many ways today, that we can merge GDI+ with VB picture objects. But the solutions are usually heavy code contained in usercontrols or classes. If you don't mind trying a class, here is one in the code bank. If you don't like it, just remove it. Using that class, your example simplifies to this:
    Code:

cStdPicEx.PaintPictureEx Picture1, tpicPNG, 0, 0, Picture1.ScaleWidth, Picture1.ScaleHeight
    End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    End Sub
    Wow!
    That worked!
    You are amazing LaVolpe.

There is just one small problem left to resolve, and that is obviously my own fault that I didn't mention in the first post.
    In the first post I said that I wanted to size the PNG picture to a picturebox.
    However, I can now see that doing so, stretches the image and distorts the aspect ratio.

The code that you provided certainly did what I asked for. But it also stretched the image to fit into the picturebox.
    But I mistakenly asked for something wrong.
    Actually, the aspect ratio needs to be preserved.

So, I need to do this:
    Appraoch 1:
    show a PNG file into a picturebox, so that it fits perfectly into the picturebox width-wise.
    Then the Picturebox's height needs to be changed to fit the image.
    Appraoch 2:
    Alternatively, another thing to do instead would be to show a PNG file into a picturebox, so that it fits perfectly into the picturebox height-wise.
    Then the Picturebox's width needs to be changed to fit the image.

How can I do that?
    I think by tweaking this code:
    Code:

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    End Sub
    it should be possible, but I don't know how.

Please advise.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by IliaPreston View Post
    Wow!
    That worked!

There is just one small problem left to resolve, and that is obviously my own fault that I didn't mention in the first post.

Actually, the aspect ratio needs to be preserved.
    You simply calculate the aspect ratio, pseudo code follows
    Code:
    Ratio1 = TargetSizeX / ActualSizeX ' << picbox scalewidth / image width
    Ratio2 = TargetSizeY / ActualSizeY ' << picbox scaleheight / image height
    If Ratio2 < Ratio1 Then Ratio1 = Ratio2

scaled dimensions are: ImageWidth * Ratio1 and ImageHeight * Ratio1
    use the same ratio for both width/height
    That will keep the aspect contained within the target. To center, you simply adjust the X,Y rendering coordinates
    (TargetSizeX - ScaledDimensionX) \ 2
    (TargetSizeY - ScaledDimensionY) \ 2

Edited: When you are doing this, keep in mind scalemodes. Don't mix apples and oranges. Best to convert target/image dimensions to same scale, be it pixels, twips, whatever. And when using PaintPictureEx, same rules apply when using VB's PaintPicture -- rendering dimensions & offsets are in the target's scalemode. Please read the comments in the class' PaintPictureEx routine.

P.S. The class does have a function to return the dimensions of any stdPicture object: GetImageDimensions. The dimensions are returned in pixels and the function is DPI-aware.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 1st, 2019 at 06:32 AM.

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

After re-reading your previous reply, sounds like I misunderstood.

The pseudo code I gave calculates the scale ratio to maintain original aspect - ok. But it sounds like you want to resize the picturebox based on scaled ratios? If so, the pseudo code gives you the best fit scale ratio and you won't be worrying about centering. You will then need to resize your picturebox to the calculated scaled dimensions - understand?

A problem I see with that logic is that you can't really be adding new images to the picturebox time and time again. If so, then you will consistently be reducing the size of that picturebox each time a new picture scaled and rendered to it, unless the pictures all happen to be the same original size. If this scenario applies, you will want to have a 'reset logic' that starts with a default picturebox size that is constant.

Another tip for the ratio scaling logic... I often find cases where I want scaling down only, not scaling up. In other words, keep 1:1 aspect unless image must be scaled down to fit, but never scale up. If you also have a need for that, you would add one more IF statement to your scaling logic...
    Code:
    Public Function ScaleToDest(ByVal SrcWidth As Single, ByVal SrcHeight As Single, _
                                ByVal DstWidth As Single, ByVal DstHeight As Single, _
                                Optional ByVal CanScaleUp As Boolean = True) As Double

' All dimensions passed in same scalemode
        ' SrcWidth:SrcHeight aspect ratio is maintained

Dim xRatio As Double, yRatio As Double
        xRatio = DstWidth / SrcWidth 
        yRatio = DstHeight / SrcHeight 
        If xRatio > yRatio Then xRatio = yRatio
        If CanScaleUp = False Then
            If xRatio > 1 Then xRatio = 1
        End If
        ScaleToDest = xRatio

End Sub
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 1st, 2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: added function

Fanatic Member

Thanks for your help.
    Actually, I am trying to develop something similar to Windows Explorer, but one that is completely part and parcel of a VB application, so that the user can double-click on a file's thumbnail to invoke a certain process.

Lets first see how Windows Explorer shows thumbnails:
    It considers one imaginary square for each image, and then it uses the Approach 1 (if the image is landscape style) or Approach 2 (if the image is portrait style) that I explained in Post #3 above.
    This screenprint shows that logic:
    https://i.imgur.com/gnZrpSm.jpg

Now, when I try the code that you provided in Post #2:
    Code:

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
    End Sub
    It fits the image perfectly into my square-shaped Picturebox, but by doing so, it stretches (distorts) the image into becoming a perfect square.
    For example, my image is this:
    https://i.imgur.com/NkoGl98.png

When I use the code in Command1_Click() above to show it in a Picturebox, it shows a perfectly square picture:
    https://i.imgur.com/wab31KH.jpg

When I BEGIN with a square-shaped PictureBox, and try to fit an image (contents of a PNG file) into it, the borders of that initial Picturebox are supposed to act as limits that the resize logic must not EXCEED.
    What it means is that when I begin with a square-shaped PictureBox, I need to establish this logic:

If the image in a PNG file is landscape-style Then (Appraoch 1):
    Show a PNG file into a picturebox, so that it fits perfectly into the picturebox width-wise.
    Then the Picturebox's height needs to be changed to fit the image.
    ElseIf the image in a PNG file is portrait-style Then (Appraoch 2):
    Show a PNG file into a picturebox, so that it fits perfectly into the picturebox height-wise.
    Then the Picturebox's width needs to be changed to fit the image.

How can I do that?
    Please advise.
    Thanks.

Using code from the previous posts.
    Code:
    Private Sub RenderPNG(Source As stdPicture, Destination As PictureBox)
        Dim dblRatio As Double, sm As ScaleModeConstants
        Dim X As Long, Y As Long, Cx As Long, Cy As Long

sm = Destination.ScaleMode: Destination.ScaleMode = vbPixels
        cStdPicEx.GetImageDimensions Source, Cx, Cy
        dblRatio = ScaleToDest(Cx, Cy, Destination.ScaleWidth, Destination.ScaleHeight)
        Cx = Cx * dblRatio: Cy = Cy * dblRatio
        X = (Destination.ScaleWidth - Cx) \ 2: Y = (Destination.ScaleHeight - Cy) \ 2
        cStdPicEx.PaintPictureEx Destination, Source.hDC, X, Y, Cx, Cy
        Destination.ScaleMode = sm
    End Sub
    Notes:

The ScaleToDest method is in one of my replies above.

I changed PaintPictureEx call to use the picturebox .hDC property. If you look at that method in the class, it is more efficient to pass an hDC then to pass an object. If passing hDC, the only strict rule is that all parameters are in pixel scalemode -- which we take care of above.
    Last edited by LaVolpe; Jul 2nd, 2019 at 08:19 AM. Reason: typo

Fanatic Member

Using code from the previous posts.
    Notes:
    Thanks.
    I implemented this approach and there are three issues in here:

A. The function ScaleToDest in post#5 has an End Sub" in the end. It doesn't compile.
    But, I changed that to "End Function" and the problem is fixed.

B. This line (in post #7):
    Code:
    cStdPicEx.PaintPictureEx Destination, Source.hDC, X, Y, Cx, Cy
    gives me this error:
    Error #438: Object doesn't support this property or method

I changed it to:
    Code:
    cStdPicEx.PaintPictureEx Destination, Source, X, Y, Cx, Cy
    And it looks like this problem is fixed.
    Not sure though.
    Can this change cause any problems under other circumstances?

C. Your code properly does the first step: It resizes the contents of a PNG file to fit the Picturebox.
    But it does not do the second step that is the final stage of resizing the PictureBox to fit the re-sized image.
    For example in this screenshot:
    https://i.imgur.com/t8Kszsq.jpg

I guessed I could do that by adding the following code that you had provided under a different thread:
    Code:
            Dim cntCx As Single, cntCy As Single
            Dim cntSM As ScaleModeConstants

With Destination   ' assumption is that the picbox container is a form or another picbox
                cntSM = .Container.ScaleMode    ' handle User-defined scalemodes
                If cntSM = vbUser Then          ' cache current scale dimensions
                    cntCx = .Container.ScaleWidth: cntCy = .Container.ScaleHeight
                End If
                .Container.ScaleMode = .ScaleMode
                .Move .Left, .Top, Cx + .Width - .ScaleWidth, Cy + .Height - .ScaleHeight
                If cntSM = vbUser Then          ' restore original scale dimensions
                    .Container.ScaleWidth = cntCx: .Container.ScaleHeight = cntCy
                Else
                    .Container.ScaleMode = cntSM ' restore original scalemode
                End If
            End With
    to the end of RenderPNG

But, that ruined the result.

I don't know how to fix this.
    Can you please help?
    Thanks.

A few things:

1. The "End Sub" vs "End Function" was just a typo when I wrote the code in the reply section

2. "Error #438" another typo -- think my age is catching up to me. That line should've been following, the destination has hDC property
    Code:
    cStdPicEx.PaintPictureEx Destination.hDC, Source, X, Y, Cx, Cy
    3. I kinda figured, you know how to resize picturebox. And frankly, don't understand why it's necessary. If you are creating something like a grid, why not just make the picturebox borderless with a solid background color the same as its container?

Fanatic Member

A few things:

1. ...
    2. ...
    3. I kinda figured, you know how to resize picturebox. And frankly, don't understand why it's necessary. If you are creating something like a grid, why not just make the picturebox borderless with a solid background color the same as its container?
    Thanks a lot for the response.
    You are probably right.
    But, I just can't believe why there is no way on earth to obtain the width and height of an image displayed in a picturebox.
    If there is an image, there should be one way to obtain its width and height.
    But nothing gives me those sizes (width and height)
    For example the following:
    Code:
       PicBox.Image.Height
          PicBox.Image.Width
    do not give me those numbers
    So, what kind of code gives me those numbers?

Also, back to the main thing:
    Even though your suggestion is good and valid, I still need to resize that picturebox.
    I don't know how to do it.
    can you please help?

Thanks.

Fanatic Member

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

What I want to do consists of two steps: (the first step is already done):

Step 1: I have managed to resize a picture (contents of a Png or Jpg, etc. file) to fit perfectly within the borders of a Picurebox.
    I have managed to do so, with great help from LaVolpe (Many thanks to him).

Step 2: Now, the second step is to resize the Picturebox itself to fit the image that it displays in order to remove the two strips of empty space to the sides of the image inside the Picturebox.

Here is a screenshot of the result of the step 1:
    https://i.imgur.com/t8Kszsq.jpg
    And it shows that step 2 is yet to be done.

I don't know how to do the step 2.
    Can anybody help please?

Thanks.
    Ilia

I still suggest you do not resize the picturebox. What happens when you add a different picture later? Now the picturebox is smaller than it was and the the new picture is resized smaller than it should be. Then you resize the picutrebox again. Keep doing this and eventually your picturebox size nears 0 x 0. Instead, recommend making the picturebox borderless and same backcolor as your form

To resize it, if it is not in a frame and the form or picturebox scalemode is not User-defined...
    Code:
      ' pass the size of the drawn image as cxImage and cyImage in pixels

Dim sm as ScaleModeConstants, cxBdr As Single, cyBdr As Single
    With Picture1
        sm = .ScaleMode
        .ScaleMode = .Container.ScaleMode
        cxBdr = .Width - .ScaleWidth
        cyBdr = .Height - .ScaleHeight
        .Move .Left, .Top, _
            .ScaleX(cxImage, vbPixels, .ScaleMode) + cxBdr, _
            .ScaleY(cyImage, vbPixels, .ScaleMode) + cyBdr
        .ScaleMode = sm
    End With
    Above is air-code, so apologize in advance for any typos

Fanatic Member

Thanks for the help.
    There are two small issues left to resolve:

1. There is a rare situation when the picture in question is very tiny (for example a logo or an icon).
    In that case, resizing the picture to make it fit the picturebox means magnifying it (instead of shrinking it). The code that you provided, magnifies a tiny icon to make it fit the picturebox.
    In that case, I need to show the picture without resizing it.
    In other words, if the image's both dimensions are smaller than the picturebox, I want to do the opposite (resize the picturebox to fit the image).
    In order to do that I add the red part to the code below:
    Code:
        Picture1(0).AutoRedraw = False
        Set tpicPNG = cStdPicEx.LoadPictureEx(TheFilePath)

If tpicPNG.Height < Picture1(0).Height And tpicPNG.Width < Picture1(0).Width Then
            Picture1(0).Height = tpicPNG.Height
            Picture1(0).Width = tpicPNG.Width
        End If

Picture1(0).Cls
        Call RenderPNG(tpicPNG, Picture1(0))
    And it works perfectly.
    But, as you see in the red code above, I compare tpicPNG's height or width with the picturebox's height or width directly (without any scaling or conversion ratio) and it works.
    I thought a conversion ratio was needed.
    Isn't it strange?
    Isn't a conversion ratio needed?

2. In post #2 above, you have done this declaration at form level (outside of Command1_Click):
    Code:
    In my code, when I do that declaraion locally (inside Command1_Click), it works perfectly.
    Is there any good reason to declare it at form level?

Please advise.
    Thanks.

Regarding magnifying (scaling up vs down), the routine I gave you in post #5 has a parameter to prevent that. Try it.

Regarding declaring tPicPNG in the declarations section... You only need to do that if that variable will be used by more than one procedure in your form. If it will only be used in Command1_Click, then declare it there.

Fanatic Member

Regarding magnifying (scaling up vs down), the routine I gave you in post #5 has a parameter to prevent that. Try it.

Regarding declaring tPicPNG in the declarations section... You only need to do that if that variable will be used by more than one procedure in your form. If it will only be used in Command1_Click, then declare it there.
    Thanks a lot.

I just used the Canscaleup parameter and it works excellently for me.
    Though, I am just curious about the conversion ratio.
    Am I correct in saying that tpicPNG.Height and MyPictureBox.Height can be compared without any conversion ratio (the conversion ratio being 1)?
    For example:
    Code:
       If tpicPNG.Height < MyPictureBox.Height Then      ......
    If the conversion ratio is not 1 (I think it is), then what is the conversion ratio?

Regarding declaring tPicPNG: If I declare tpicPNG inside a procedure that displays one picture to fit one picturebox, and then I call that procedure hundreds of times in a loop, could that cause any excessive memory use, or memory fragmentation or any similar issues?
    In this specific case (a procedure that displays one picture to fit one picturebox) what is the best place to declare tpicPNG?

Same question about
    Code:
    If I declare this inside a procedure that displays one picture to fit one picturebox, and then I call that procedure hundreds of times in a loop, could that cause any excessive memory use, or memory fragmentation or any similar issues?

Please advise.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by IliaPreston; Jul 14th, 2019 at 07:52 PM.

Your first question -- the answer is no and should have been able to prove that. Picture (images) dimensions are in himetrics. Picturebox dimensions are not.

Your second question about tPicPng. I already tried to explain that to you. If you need to reference the variable in more than one routine in your form, then declare it in the declarations section. Otherwise, declare it in the routine it is used in. The same does for any declaration, including "Dim cStdPicEx As stdPicEx2"