Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: https://www.radbasic.dev/

Re: https://www.radbasic.dev/

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Well, this forum is not created nor run by a large organisation and it works sufficiently well as you stated. The point is that there does not have to be a company behind it for it to succeed.

I would prefer a FOSS solution as a community can then get behind it and it can become self-seeding as it were. However, much smaller or even one-man organisations have come up with successful products that people use daily.

The only commercial products I use now are Photoshop, Windows and VB6 (and I can't buy a copy of VB6 from MS for love nor money), everything else is FOSS, from LibreOffice to open hardware monitor, all one man efforts or community driven products.

When a product is a one-man show and it is closed source then that worries me a lot more as we all know how difficult it is for one man (or woman!) to maintain a software project right to the end, however, it CAN be done - see RJTextEd as an example
    The IDE that you develop software on/in would be a far bigger reliance than something like LibreOffice. LibreOffice is an example of how things can go wrong with FOSS. I use that too, and it's a pretty good program that is being steadily improved. However, LibreOffice is a split from OpenOffice, which went moribund for several years, and is now moving forwards again. They aren't the same project anymore, including different features and even different licensing arrangements. That's fine for something you use for working on a letter, or a spreadsheet, especially since the file formats are compatible with other platforms. How thrilled would you be to have your development environment be equally unstable? Anything you built would have an unsteady base.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

I have to tell you that I'd be utterly thrilled with that. Knowing that at any time I can view the code and make changes myself, to contribute no matter what anyone else is doing. Knowing that if ever an organisation like the open office foundation stops doing its job, that another can just pick up the code and do it better. That is the way it should be.

Compare it to the alternative. MS makes VB from 0 to 6. MS drops it just as we are getting into full swing. MS never gives us another update ever again, not a morsel and never will.

If VB was FOSS then ask yourself, how would it look today after 20 years of development, forks, improvements and bug-fixes? It could have been abandoned five times in that many years and other groups would have picked it up. It would still be alive.

If MS made VB6 FOSS tomorrow, what would we have by the end of the week? I'd suggest multiple builds, several changes and improvements, a few forks would take root and each would take on new code and new directions, supportable by many and with a living future.

Yes, that is exactly what I would hope, or pray for for VB6.

I used Sun's Star Office, then Open Office and now LibreOffice with security knowing it will always be there in one form or another, works on multiple platforms and is FREE.

The only thing I saw on the video that might be a problem is that it looks like the time in minutes jumps from 40's to mid 50's. I can't confirm this at the highest resolution available, so I cannot say that the video is fixed or split. If it is split, then it could be just an honest splice.

I look forward to a test download. If the developer wants to circulate a sample or collaborate privately, then please contact me on youtube by DM.

I have to tell you that I'd be utterly thrilled with that. Knowing that at any time I can view the code and make changes myself, to contribute no matter what anyone else is doing. Knowing that if ever an organisation like the open office foundation stops doing its job, that another can just pick up the code and do it better. That is the way it should be.

Compare it to the alternative. MS makes VB from 0 to 6. MS drops it just as we are getting into full swing. MS never gives us another update ever again, not a morsel and never will.

If VB was FOSS then ask yourself, how would it look today after 20 years of development, forks, improvements and bug-fixes? It could have been abandoned five times in that many years and other groups would have picked it up. It would still be alive.

If MS made VB6 FOSS tomorrow, what would we have by the end of the week? I'd suggest multiple builds, several changes and improvements, a few forks would take root and each would take on new code and new directions, supportable by many and with a living future.

Yes, that is exactly what I would hope, or pray for for VB6.

I used Sun's Star Office, then Open Office and now LibreOffice with security knowing it will always be there in one form or another, works on multiple platforms and is FREE.
    Yeah, that does sound nice, but there's a difference. Hobbyists can do whatever they want, but if you intend to build a business off the software you write, you need that IDE to keep on going. Any breaking change by any team would strand you at the current position. That's the exact position you are in currently, because VB6 still works.

So, you're really hoping that some team will come along with the skill, time, and dedication to create a free tool that won't break what you already have, and will keep moving forwards with it without introducing breaking changes. That hasn't totally worked for word processors, and I would expect those to be considerably simpler than an IDE. There are file types that can't be opened by any modern word processor, which just results in a dead file stuck in a closet somewhere. The same thing happening with an IDE would be much more significant for anybody who is selling software written using the IDE. You would need that pool, with the skills required, the time to dedicate to this, and a desire to devote the necessary time.

Frankly, I don't believe the pool of people with the three necessary traits exists in sufficient number. For any company to rely on such a strategy, they'd have to be willing to decide whether to migrate or remain whenever a breaking change came out. That's no different than what you have now, except that you'd have more people stranded in smaller and smaller groups down various branches.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    There are file types that can't be opened by any modern word processor, which just results in a dead file stuck in a closet somewhere.
    Except that you can fix that.

I am swotting up on my C++ so that I can (eventually) assist the ReactOS team in supporting the Yahoo widget engine. That is what I am interested in so I want to help there. At the moment it does not install due to a GDI problem. When I have the skills I may be able to fix the bugs there or assist in solving the problem.

If LibreOffice doesn't open a file format you can pick up the code and change it. You can't do that for Word.

I think you just have a natural bias against FOSS, that's fine, no problem. I just don't have it. ALL my software is FOSS now, except for Windows and VB (and PS). Soon, (5 years I aim to be rid of Windows and I suggest within that timescale a FOSS replacement for VB7 may well be on the cards - and we WILL be using it.

Actually, I have no problem with FOSS and use it myself. Not for free, either, as I contribute financially to any such endeavor that I make use of. However, I have watched these attempts at a replacement for VB6 for a couple decades. Somebody quoted me as saying something along the lines of the fans of VB6 killing each other if anything actually got traction. I may well have said that, and said it better than I did this time, though I don't mean it literally. It always comes down to people saying, "I just want a new version of VB6 that will work with the code I already have....and has just this one extra thing." It's always a different extra thing. Frankly, if this dream is ever realized, I would expect a few people to be thrilled and most people to be totally pissed off.

That's a different matter from whether or not you want to rest a business on this foundation. Everyone gets to make their own decision in that area. If you're a hobbyist, then do what you want. I've used a few platforms that vanished. Doesn't really matter, though.

The Idiot

what i would like with radbasic is to use direct2d as the default graphic engine for the IDE and use a sound engine that can handle mp3 internally and to compile to 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    However, I have watched these attempts at a replacement for VB6 for a couple decades.
    I get that completely. The one thing I noted here when I started to participate on this forum was the feeling of abandonment and a perception of almost a layer of depression residing over the community, possibly born from the reality of working with a tool that the industry alternately derides, abandons and seems to try to want to stop working altogether.

If you've been exposed to multiple attempts to create a VB7 only to see each fail then I would understand why you feel that way. It is reality.

If only someone had worked on the VB6 IDE and then managed to create a portion of work that was FOSS then another then another built on top of that adding portions at a time, we might have been close to having something that resembles a replacement, if only 35-50% complete by now. That is what I expected to have occurred when I arrived here. I was surprised to see that there was only Olaf's graphics portion and nothing else - all this skill and capability to create, yet not as much to show for it as I would have expected.

I am positive, perhaps as I haven't been here long. I am also positive in nature and believe that we (the VB6ers here) can do it. I am hoping for a FOSS tool as the end result of these new developments but we shall see.

I am not getting my hopes up. I have several paths for my VB6 code, ReactOS as a replacement environment (possibly even Wine on Linux - not really), VB.NET as a trial migration path (that is what I am going to do next with my two recent VB6 utilities) and now the possibility of two new VB6 compatible projects. The future is rosier than it has ever been - as long as you feel positive.

Quote Originally Posted by baka View Post
    what i would like with radbasic is to ... use a sound engine that can handle mp3 internally.
    I like that.

PowerPoster

You can already play MP3s in a VB6 program using DirectShow which ships as part of Windows.

Name:  sshot.png
Views: 1445
Size:  40.6 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes...

The Idiot

dilettante, sure, we also have direct2d using a typelib.
    that is not what i meant, its my wish for the new IDE,

- 64bit compiler
    - integrated direct2d engine (with monitor sync control, png-loading/saving, transparent support, DPI support)
    - integrated audio support to play wav/mp3 (it will be a default component we have a mp3/wav player, that can also control loop, fade, volume etc)

this for me is the "minimum" for a new IDE.

- 64bit compiler
    - integrated direct2d engine (with monitor sync control, png-loading/saving, transparent support, DPI support)
    - integrated audio support to play wav/mp3 (it will be a default component we have a mp3/wav player, that can also control loop, fade, volume etc)

I think this is exactly the issue that keeps cropping up with what the "new VB6" should involve. Your minimum is probably very specific to your needs and wouldn't be what other potential users want. The number of different "minimum" requirements seems almost as big as the number of people who want a new version...

Hyperactive Member

I wonder what your thoughts are on the latest video?

I may be wrong here but it appears radBasic is using a method not thought of before from the people here who have been attempting a new vb6. By using the ANTLR and LLVM / c compiler a lot of work has been saved. I have never seen a video that shows what radBasic has been able to do.

I did speak with the developer and suggested he privately send some of the GURUs here a sample exe for compiler and ide to quench their doubt.

I think radBasic has a clear vision, to create a 100% compatible vb6 IDE and compiler, I think this will only be the first part, and other stuff can come later. (cross platform etc.. integrated 2d, audio etc...)

The Idiot

what is the point of using the old graphic model that has issues with DPI?
    of course we need to upgrade the graphic engine. whats the point otherwise?

all the issues with DPI, people complaining why they can't add transparent buttons, and the problems with stuttering since the graphic engine is not monitor sync.
    i dont understand people that dont want to improve a +20 year old IDE....

Fanatic Member

- 64bit compiler

I hear you, but DirectX is Microsoft-only technology, although you could run it on Linux+WINE(Supports DirectX 11). Alternative multi-platform gaming engines includes Unity(C# only), Unreal(C++ and a "visual language" called Blueprint). Qt(C++/Python) has gaming engines too. I myself would go with Qt or Unreal, or both for games.

As for MP3, it seems that the patents have expired, so this should be easy to implement as an extra multi-platform component without slowing down compiler/IDE development.

Fanatic Member

- 64bit compiler

I don't see also why MP3 is needed in an IDE?

I am currently migrating one of my project to Visual Studio 2019 (and learning also this IDE), and even I can see some interest in Visual Studio 2019 (like automatic error detection/correction, etc..) VB6 is far more easier to code faster.
    Visual Studio 2019 has too much options, etc...

For information, the project I am migrating is an Addin for Outlook I wrote some months ago, and I need it to work also in Outlook 64 bits.
    I can tell that the migration is not as hard as I tough.
    As I always encapsulate my code in some "Generic" routine, I just had to mainly rewrite to .NET those generic routine.
    Even for the ADO part, I wrote a new class to mimic the ADO of VB and I don't need to rewrite everything.

Mainly Copy/Paste from VB6 to the Visual Studio, and then adapt a bi like S = S & "test" to S &= "Test" etc...
    and also changing the error handling to Try ... Catch

But now, my 2 addins are wrking side by side durng my tests, and I am very happy.
    It took me arround only 2 full days to do it (including research to make Outlook Addin the right way in .NET), and I am at 95%.
    I will probably write a post about this migration.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    Ok, so you're talking about COM basically (as the first hurdle to solve - or judging from your video, apparently "already solved to some extent").
    1. what is your plan (or current implementation), regarding (VB6-compatible) COM-Classes? How do you build them?
    2. what is your plan (or current implementation), regarding (VB6-compatible) UserControls? How do you build them?
    3. what is your plan (or current implementation), regarding (VB6-compatible) COM-Events (for both of the above: *.cls and *.ctl modules)?

As for your: "the rest is like any other compiler":
    4. do you have experience already, writing such a "simpler one" (if yes, is there a code-repo somewhere)?
    5. what is your plan about VB6-UDTs - and their "auto-serializing/deserializing-feature" to and from Files?
    6. what is your plan about (V)BStrings and VB-SafeArrays (Redim, Redim Preserve)?
    I am adding a question #7 to what Olaf posted in post #46:

7. For those who take the approach to translating VB6 code to C/C++, then compile it, as you might already know, C++ exception handling(Error handling) works like VB6. If there is no error handler, it moves up to the caller until a routine with an error handler is found, but C++ doesn't have Resume Next, or On Error Resume Next. How do you plan to implement these? Not thinking this through would introduce bugs that only happen if there is a runtime error.

The Idiot

sure im not opposed to another engine if its easy enough to implement.
    we know that direct2d is already in windows, so no dependencies or additional dll are needed.

but if we just need to include 1 DLL when we release our executable, that will work like a framework for "windows" to use the graphics, im totally ok with it.
    later, when cross-platform is in the menu, the other OS can have their "own" driver for the graphics, making VB+ cross platform.

but I dont see a problem using a "framework" that can use different graphic engines.
    if that DLL'calls uses direct2d, and on Mac it uses the same calls, but the driver is calling "whatever Mac is using" is that not a good compromise?

or theres already dll/drivers that can be used that "VB+" could use that are not copyright?

I get that completely. The one thing I noted here when I started to participate on this forum was the feeling of abandonment and a perception of almost a layer of depression residing over the community, possibly born from the reality of working with a tool that the industry alternately derides, abandons and seems to try to want to stop working altogether.

If you've been exposed to multiple attempts to create a VB7 only to see each fail then I would understand why you feel that way. It is reality.

If only someone had worked on the VB6 IDE and then managed to create a portion of work that was FOSS then another then another built on top of that adding portions at a time, we might have been close to having something that resembles a replacement, if only 35-50% complete by now. That is what I expected to have occurred when I arrived here. I was surprised to see that there was only Olaf's graphics portion and nothing else - all this skill and capability to create, yet not as much to show for it as I would have expected.

I am positive, perhaps as I haven't been here long. I am also positive in nature and believe that we (the VB6ers here) can do it. I am hoping for a FOSS tool as the end result of these new developments but we shall see.

I am not getting my hopes up. I have several paths for my VB6 code, ReactOS as a replacement environment (possibly even Wine on Linux - not really), VB.NET as a trial migration path (that is what I am going to do next with my two recent VB6 utilities) and now the possibility of two new VB6 compatible projects. The future is rosier than it has ever been - as long as you feel positive.
    Hey! I miss a lot of messages.

Only, some ideas about you say:

1. There could be multiple attempts for "VB7" which failed in the past. Sure, it's impossible doing it in a hobby manner. It's the reason for future kickstarter campaign. A successful attempt has to be done in a professional way. Professional is not about development skills or knowledge, but it's about this is your job. You are all the working-hours developing it, thinking in it the whole day and it gives you the money for living. This project couldn't be done in other way.

2. I really like FOSS and I use Libreoffice along Gimp and Linux! But thinking in future: How FOSS is capitalized? I think there are two main forms: Foundations (as Linux Foundation, Apache, LibreOffice, ...) or selling support (the very successful way of Red Hat). For a developer tool, it's hard to fit in this former ways. Maybe, a third alternative is the "Trolltech way": QT code is open source, but it's free in beer (and in speech too) for open source projects. For commercial projects a license has to be paid. When you submit code to QT repository, the property belongs to "Trolltech" for converting to dual license. I think it is important to get this in mind, because we want a successful successor, with maintained versions and with new versions adding features along the years, don't we? So, the capitalize model has to be thought too, because it's important for surviving the next years after the kickstarter campaign has over and the first version has been released to bakers.

3. Yes, there are a lot of disappointment for failed past projects. It's understandable. But, as say yereverluvinuncleber, we must feel positive. I don't want to publicity competitors, but do you know PureBasic? https://www.purebasic.com/support.php. If you check out, there are one main developer and one additional code. With the current tools and the correct approach/design there is no need to large development team for this kind of product. As I said, the difference is the technical approach and the working approach (hobbyist vs professional). Yes, in open source there a hobbyist contributions and some are very important. But we are talking of projects with thousands of contributors. And, in great projects there is always professionals contributors paid by Red Hat, IBM, Linux foundation, etc.

Well, my two (or more) cents.

I'm not very active in this forum. A lot of work to be done and social media to be answered

Best regards.

Carles Royan

Quote Originally Posted by radBasicHost View Post
    I don't want to publicity competitors, but do you know PureBasic? https://www.purebasic.com/support.php. If you check out, there are one main developer and one additional code. With the current tools and the correct approach/design there is no need to large development team for this kind of product. As I said, the difference is the technical approach and the working approach (hobbyist vs professional). Yes, in open source there a hobbyist contributions and some are very important. But we are talking of projects with thousands of contributors. And, in great projects there is always professionals contributors paid by Red Hat, IBM, Linux foundation, etc.
    I've previously shared w/ community here statistics that FOSS projects are always one-man shows w/ a couple of contributors max.

But does PureBasic has a successful kickstarter campain? Was it a crowd-funded effort from the very beginning? Is it now? Are they hobbyists of professionals? Where are the thousands of contributors? Is there anyone paid by a corporation/foundation?

Just interested how things are happening in a "sister project" according to the points you raised in your previous post. Is PB really a one-man show by a hobbyist, purely on his own will w/ no external financial support?

cheers,
    </wqw>

PureBasic is commercial. Was it Bob Zane's one man project at first? Or am I mixing it up with another basic project? I know Mr. Zane died and someone else took the project over.

Addicted Member

PureBasic is commercial. Was it Bob Zane's one man project at first? Or am I mixing it up with another basic project? I know Mr. Zane died and someone else took the project over.
    Bob Zale's (RIP) product was/is Powerbasic

Oh, I see. . .

That's really an option, having a [Add To Cart] buttons on versions w/ prices and all. Another option is to have a free download from Releases tab on a github repo like most of modern languages.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    I've previously shared w/ community here statistics that FOSS projects are always one-man shows w/ a couple of contributors max.

But does PureBasic has a successful kickstarter campain? Was it a crowd-funded effort from the very beginning? Is it now? Are they hobbyists of professionals? Where are the thousands of contributors? Is there anyone paid by a corporation/foundation?

Just interested how things are happening in a "sister project" according to the points you raised in your previous post. Is PB really a one-man show by a hobbyist, purely on his own will w/ no external financial support?

cheers,
    </wqw>
    Well I don't know the details and I don't want to make parallelism. Only one example about it don't need a large team, answering previous post, not only yours.

Regards.

Those viable commercial alternatives quoted were all one-man projects once showing how they CAN grow given a fair wind. PowerBasic was a candidate for FOSS as I think it has largely stalled since Bob Zale died, not having a stable release for almost a decade.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by radBasicHost View Post
    2. I really like FOSS and I use Libreoffice along Gimp and Linux! But thinking in future: How FOSS is capitalized? I think there are two main forms: Foundations (as Linux Foundation, Apache, LibreOffice, ...) or selling support (the very successful way of Red Hat). For a developer tool, it's hard to fit in this former ways. Maybe, a third alternative is the "Trolltech way": QT code is open source, but it's free in beer (and in speech too) for open source projects. For commercial projects a license has to be paid. When you submit code to QT repository, the property belongs to "Trolltech" for converting to dual license. I think it is important to get this in mind, because we want a successful successor, with maintained versions and with new versions adding features along the years, don't we? So, the capitalize model has to be thought too, because it's important for surviving the next years after the kickstarter campaign has over and the first version has been released to bakers.
    For commercial projects using Qt, a paid license is not needed. You can still keep your app closed source and sell your app. The license however, requires that you provide Qt source in the rare case when someone requests it.
    Last edited by qvb6; Jul 9th, 2019 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by qvb6 View Post
    For commercial projects using Qt, a paid license is not needed. You can still keep your app closed source and sell your app. The license however, requires that you provide Qt source in the rare case when someone requests it.
    qvb6, you are right, my fault. Qt changed this in 4.5. I used intensively in 3.x days, and there was only GPL and commercial (in contrast of GTK which always been LGPL). I reviewed the license history and I saw in 2019 this was changed (QT 4.5), and now it is GPL, LGPL and comercial. So, yes you can develop closed source with free LGPL version of QT.

Thanks for you correction.

Regards!

Hyperactive Member

Quote Originally Posted by qvb6 View Post
    So just out of curiosity, I can request the QT source from a competitors product if they do not have a license from QT and they are required to give it to me?

That is crazy!

WP

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by axisdj View Post
    So just out of curiosity, I can request the QT source from a competitors product if they do not have a license from QT and they are required to give it to me?

That is crazy!

WP
    Yes, but it's just Qt source, not your app source code. It's the nature of LGPL.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by germano.barbosa View Post
    I wonder why he never told anyone about it? I can't find any references to it here.

At least he had the foresight to make it FOSS when he finally abandoned it. I suppose it could be prove useful as a reference?

Lively Member

In the past I was able to locate someone who completely disassembled and reverse engineered the MSVBVM60. I can't find it now. I only see a small pdf after a google search.
    I'm entirely behind the idea of what radbasic is trying to do. It looks good so far, but we need more work on the compiler, not so much focus on the IDE. That can be done later or adapted from something else like eclipse.

I hope whoever is behind this has the right coding principles. I fear that it will just turn into a piece of bloatware like .NET. Now that PowerBasic is pretty much dead, it would be nice to make those developers aware of this project because I think they could help with it immensely. PowerBasic is very similar to VB6. It would be nice if it was open source. PureBasic is another good one.

The compiler should be a "real" compiler in my mind. No translating to C++ or some other language. I think translating to assembly language would be fine though. Then use FASM to produce the binary. Please DON'T use Qt for the compiler. I think that's fine for an IDE or even an IDE in .NET would be OK (like http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...spaces-release)

...but I don't think the compiler should produce a binary that needs Qt or some other bloated framework. PureBasic was able to do cross-platform without using such a framework.
    I think producing an EXE with run-time included is probably the way to go. It would produce native code, but it would just insert the supporting procedures in the EXE so it would be standalone.

If someone has actually started a project that is a compiler and not just a fancy IDE demo, then I would gladly help with the project. Not that this is that. I wasn't able to find from the website if this was more than that. I don't think I would help though if the current programmers don't understand the no bloat policy lol.

I just remembered, Visia is another "language" and IDE written in VB6. It's very simplistic, but maybe worth looking at.
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/visual-basic/
    Last edited by veebee123; Jul 15th, 2019 at 09:21 PM.

B4J is another related tool to consider.
    It is not VB6 replacement however the syntax is similar to Visual Basic and it is a RAD tool. There are many Visual Basic developers who use it.

Cons:

- Not designed to be a VB6 replacement.
    - Not open source.
    - Compiled output depends on Java.

Pros:

- Mature product with large community behind it.
    - 100% free.
    - Supports OpenJDK 11 and it is very simple to create a standalone package that doesn't rely on any installed component. The size of such package is about 30mb.
    - Part of the B4X tools. You can reuse most of the code with B4A and B4i and create similar Android or iOS applications.
    - Cross platform. Apps will run on Windows, Mac and Linux.
    - Very good performance.
    - Modern IDE.
    - Support for server solutions.

Disclaimer: I'm the CEO of Anywhere Software, the company behind those tools.

Fanatic Member

Quote Originally Posted by veebee123 View Post
    Qt or some other bloated framework.
    I haven't used Qt yet, but I believe that you only need to include the DLL's that you use, or if you choose to compile it statistically, everything is included in the EXE.

My thinking is to add a wrapper layer between the compiler and a Multiplatform toolkit, like GTK/Qt/Other, so initially we could use one of these tools, then switch to something from the scratch(Olaf already made such an effort that he open sourced, see vbWidgets).

There is already Qt based Basic. It was called QtBasic, then Q7Basic/KBasic, then Basic4Qt. It's open source, including the compiler/translator/IDE, but it's not free as far as I know. It doesn't convert VB6 projects, though, so it maybe good for new projects only.

QT/Q7/Kbasic has been dead for years. I wasn't aware that is/was open source.

Quote Originally Posted by Erel View Post
    B4J is another related tool to consider.
    We know about your product, this thread is not about finding other VB6-alikes, that has been done to death. This thread (I think) is about a VB6 100% replacement, ie. language, compiler and IDE.

The links to alternatives recently posted here are mentioned as resources and references toward a possible route map for alternative methods of achieving this, partly or fully.

Lively Member

Just had a quick look at https://q7basic.org/#Windows. Initally there is no mention of Open Source, just a Professional license fee, a bit further down the page, a "Trial" download. Then right at the bottom of the page are the source download and set-up links.
    [https://q7basic.org/Q7Basic_Source_Code.zip]
    [https://q7basic.org/Q7Basic_IDE.zip]

All seems virus-free, setup-package works, and the IDE source loads into VB6 without errors. Not got further than that (yet?).

*EDIT*
    There is a *LOT* if stuff in those downloads - Documentation PDFs and HTML scattered about, build sources for windows, Mac & Linux and sample code.
    Last edited by MikeSW17; Jul 16th, 2019 at 01:02 PM.

Fanatic Member

QT/Q7/Kbasic has been dead for years. I wasn't aware that is/was open source.
    That's what I remember too, I think that it was partially open source, now it's fully open source. Perhaps the developer, like many; have found out that any financial return is limited, or dries up within a year. Donationware seems the way to go for such a project.

These devs are building up a repository of open source code that could form a basis of something or at least a source of information, I do wish they'd publicise what they intend to open source. I watched Q7basic for a while and initially donated £25 to the cause. It would be nice to see the code be re-used, if only that for the IDE.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSW17 View Post
    ... the IDE source loads into VB6 without errors.
    How does that work? just pulling the source code files in or attempting to load the .q7b files as project files for VB6? I presume the former.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast