Thread: Printer settings not set even when trying to set them.

Addicted Member

Printer settings not set even when trying to set them.

I have and app that I am trying to duplicate from old VFP to new VB. Print settings are not as flexible in VB and I am having issues creating small labels. I have a label printer that prints labels 4 accross. (Databmax) the label is 1 in wide by .25 tall and 4 accross. I have it set that I can print the labels correctly but here is the issue. I select the stock with

.PrinterSettings.DefaultPageSettings.PaperSize = PrintPreview107.ReportViewer1.PrinterSettings.PaperSizes(2)

Set the landscape with

.PrinterSettings.DefaultPageSettings.Landscape = False

When I print, it does not select the correct information, in the page dialog box, it still shows size as user defined and landscape. I have to manually set the papersize and Orientation.

I would like not to have to always pick this as users would mess it up because I have other labels to print from same application.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: Printer settings not set even when trying to set them.

Will the label printer you are using always have the same 4 across label stock in it, or could it be changed to something else at times for a different print job? If the label stock is always the same, you should set the default printer settings to the correct ones for those labels.

Addicted Member

They will change depending on what label they change to. Its weird. On label that has 3 across where each label is .5 x 1 prints fine without needing to set the printer settings but the smaller one in question will not print correctly without manually setting the settings.

Do you have a user manual for that printer? When the label stock is changed, whoever does that should change the label size settings in the printer setup. Unfortunately, some label printer drivers are set to use saved settings separately for each logged in user, so you would still need to have your program set the default settings that the driver uses for that user. You might also be able to query the printer to check on what size labels are loaded, assuming that the operator changed them correctly. You should check the printer manual to see what options are available for setting the label size information.

Addicted Member

I can query the printer and tell it what default page to use but the page setting dialog box does not update when you tell it what you want. I guess this is my problem. I tell the report to set a default setting such as portrait or landscape and also what paper size but the page dialog box does not update.