Thread: How do I change the BG color of a Single Cell & store the color scheme in Textfile?

Lively Member

How do I change the BG color of a Single Cell & store the color scheme in Textfile?

Hello all,

This thread will be a 2 part question.
    A) How do I change the BG color of a Single Cell on a Table?
    B) How can I store the color scheme, so that the cell BG color will be the same when program is re-opened?

A)
    1) User clicks a Cell on the table
    Name:  EVC_Kiosk_CellColor_1.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  31.3 KB
    2) Then clicks a button called "Color"
    3) A color window pops up
    Name:  EVC_Kiosk_CellColor_2.JPG
Views: 965
Size:  32.4 KB
    4) User choose Color and clicks OK
    5) Color window closes
    6) The Cell BG color changes according to user's choice

Previously, I have this code that change the color of the whole row. Now I just want ONE cell.
    I want to ask, how do you make the system know which Cell is selected?

Code:
     Private Sub ProjectsDataGridView_CellFormatting(sender As System.Object, e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellFormattingEventArgs) Handles ProjectsDataGridView.CellFormatting

If Me.ProjectsDataGridView.Columns(e.ColumnIndex).Name = "DataGridViewTextBoxColumnJobStatus" Then
                If e.Value IsNot Nothing Then
                    If Not IsDBNull(e.Value) Then
                        If CType(e.Value, String) = "Confirmed" Then
                            ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(0)))
                        ElseIf CType(e.Value, String) = "On Hold" Then
                            ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(1)))
                        ElseIf CType(e.Value, String) = "Completed" Then
                            ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(2)))
                        ElseIf CType(e.Value, String) = "Incomplete" Then
                            ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(3)))
                        ElseIf CType(e.Value, String) = "Cancelled" Then
                            ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(4)))
                        ElseIf CType(e.Value, String) = "Urgent" Then
                            ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(5)))

End If
                    End If
                End If
            End If
        End Sub
    =================================================================

B) The BG color must be persistent, meaning it must be saved somewhere (I am considering Textfile)
    The program will then read from textfile to populate the correct colors.

(I have a column with auto-generated number called ID)

TextFile
    121,description=-65536
    125,client=-1

This is the one that I am really unsure if it is doable. The issue is, user may add/delete/sort the table.
    How will the system remember which Cell should hold the color if the table is modified.
    I am considering using ID as X and Column Name as the Y, but I need advise.

Re: How do I change the BG color of a Single Cell & store the color scheme in Textfil

To set one cell backcolor...

Code:
    ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(5)))
    To save a record, I'd use a text file, with one line per affected cell, i.e....

columnIndex,rowIndex,color.ToARGB

Then on Form_Load, read the text file line by line and change BackColor for any cells that should be changed

Re: How do I change the BG color of a Single Cell & store the color scheme in Textfil

If the table is modified, you'll need to loop through your text file and edit any affected column or row indices

Or, it might be easier, to just write your text file on Form_FormClosing, then you won't need to keep updating it when your user deletes rows or makes any other changes to the structure of the table

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by .paul. View Post
    To set one cell backcolor...

Code:
    ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(e.ColumnIndex).DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.FromArgb(CInt(colorArray(5)))
    To save a record, I'd use a text file, with one line per affected cell, i.e....

columnIndex,rowIndex,color.ToARGB

Then on Form_Load, read the text file line by line and change BackColor for any cells that should be changed

But what is the code to check which cell is currently selected?
    Like e.SelectedCell or something?
    If user selects a cell and click “color” button.

Just use the CurrentCell...

Code:
    DataGridView1.CurrentCell.Style.BackColor = Color.Magenta

Hi

here some ways to get the x y of the Cells, or like paul say's use CurrentCell

for the sample add the controls you see in the code
    Code:
    Public Class Form4
        'https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.forms.datagridview.invalidatecell?view=netframework-4.8
        'Force repaint when mouse enters Cell
        Private Sub Form4_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            With DataGridView1
                .ColumnCount = 5
                .RowCount = 10

For i As Integer = 0 To .ColumnCount - 1
                    .Columns(i).HeaderText = "Column " & i.ToString
                Next
                For i As Integer = 0 To .Rows.Count - 1
                    For j As Integer = 0 To .ColumnCount - 1
                        .Rows(i).Cells(j).Value = "C " & i.ToString & "." & j.ToString
                    Next
                Next
                DataGridView1.Rows(2).Cells(3).Style.BackColor = Color.DarkOrange
                .InvalidateCell(DataGridView1.CurrentCell)

End With
        End Sub

Private Sub DataGridView1_CellEnter(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellEnter

DataGridView1.InvalidateCell(DataGridView1.CurrentCell)
            TextBox1.Text = DataGridView1.CurrentCellAddress.ToString & ": " & DataGridView1.CurrentCell.Style.BackColor.ToArgb
        End Sub

Private Sub DataGridView1_CellLeave(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.DataGridViewCellEventArgs) Handles DataGridView1.CellLeave
            DataGridView1.InvalidateCell(DataGridView1.CurrentCell)
        End Sub

Private Sub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
            'read Cell x y value
            With DataGridView1
                Dim s As String = .SelectedCells(0).RowIndex.ToString & ":" & _
                                  .SelectedCells(0).ColumnIndex.ToString
                MessageBox.Show(s)
            End With
        End Sub
    End Class
    hth
    to hunt a species to extinction is not logical !
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

Lively Member

Or, it might be easier, to just write your text file on Form_FormClosing, then you won't need to keep updating it when your user deletes rows or makes any other changes to the structure of the table
    Hi Paul.
    Can you explain more about how to use Form_FormClosing?

If let’s say user change color at row 2 column 3.
    Then user add/delete/sort
    Will the Cell color shift accordingly or stay as the NEW row 2 column 3?

Lively Member

Opps, double post
    Last edited by Volkof; Apr 27th, 2019 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Double post

If you change a cell color, then wherever that cell moves to the backcolor will remain the same, so if it's column 0 row 2, and you delete row 1, the cell will now be column 0, row 1.

In the FormClosing event, loop through all cells in your dgv. If the color isn't standard, add a row to your textfile

Lively Member

If you change a cell color, then wherever that cell moves to the backcolor will remain the same, so if it's column 0 row 2, and you delete row 1, the cell will now be column 0, row 1.

In the FormClosing event, loop through all cells in your dgv. If the color isn't standard, add a row to your textfile
    If the table is ever changing, how should I save the cell color in a text file?
    User may close and reopen program.

Quote Originally Posted by Volkof View Post
    If the table is ever changing, how should I save the cell color in a text file?
    User may close and reopen program.
    As I said... Save colors on close, load colors on open.
    That's why I said look at the FormClosing event for saving, and as I assumed you'd guess, the Load event for reloading. You just need nested loops to save and then loop through the text file on load, where you will have saved column index, row index, and color (integer)

Lively Member

Ok, I can't figure out how to save the Row, Column, and Color Code.
    Can someone please take a look?

rowIndex,columnIndex,color.ToARGB

Code:
    Private Sub color_Btn_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles color_Btn.Click

Dim clrDialog As New ColorDialog
            Dim ColorString As String
            Dim rowIndex As Integer
            Dim colIndex As Integer

If clrDialog.ShowDialog = Windows.Forms.DialogResult.OK Then
                ProjectsDataGridView.CurrentCell.Style.BackColor = clrDialog.Color

ColorString = clrDialog.Color.ToArgb.ToString               'Get Color Code
                ProjectsDataGridView.CurrentRow = rowIndex             'Get Row Index
                ProjectsDataGridView.Current??? = colIndex                'Get Col Index

End If
            clrDialog.Dispose()

End Sub

Lively Member

Ok, I can't figure out how to save the Row, Column, and Color Code.
    Can someone please take a look?

rowIndex,columnIndex,color.ToARGB

Code:
    Private Sub color_Btn_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles color_Btn.Click

Dim ColorString As String
            Dim rowIndex As Integer
            Dim colIndex As Integer

ColorString = clrDialog.Color.ToArgb.ToString               'Get Color Code
                rowIndex = ProjectsDataGridView.CurrentRow             'Get Row Index
                colIndex = ProjectsDataGridView.CurrentCol                'Get Col Index             

End If
            clrDialog.Dispose()

End Sub

You have a Form which contains a DataGridView. What Form event would you expect to fire when your Form is closing??? Would it not make sense to loop through all of the rows of your DataGridView, and for each row loop through all of the cells in that row, then for each cell, check if the backcolor has changed, and if so, store that information in a text file???
    And having a text file, wouldn't you wonder if there was a Form event that fires when the Form loads??? Then you could split each line in your text file and use it to restore the colors to your DataGridView...

Or you could just hang around here until someone writes every last word of it for you

Lively Member

You have a Form which contains a DataGridView. What Form event would you expect to fire when your Form is closing??? Would it not make sense to loop through all of the rows of your DataGridView, and for each row loop through all of the cells in that row, then for each cell, check if the backcolor has changed, and if so, store that information in a text file???
    And having a text file, wouldn't you wonder if there was a Form event that fires when the Form loads??? Then you could split each line in your text file and use it to restore the colors to your DataGridView...

Or you could just hang around here until someone writes every last word of it for you

Sir, I understand the logic.
    But my VB programming skill is not very good, I don't know the exact code to write.
    which is why I am struggling.

So firstly, I am trying to figure out how to loop through the DataGridView
    Can I get some help?

Code:

Dim colorString As String
            'Dim rowIndex As Integer
            'Dim colIndex As Integer

colorString = clrDialog.Color.ToArgb.ToString               'Get Color Code
                'rowIndex = ProjectsDataGridView.CurrentRow                  'Get Row Index
                'colIndex = ProjectsDataGridView.CurrentCol                  'Get Col Index

End If
            clrDialog.Dispose()

'Loop through the DataGridView, find Cell where backcolor = changed, store rowIndex,columnIndex,color.ToARGB

"How should I code this?"

End Sub
    Sorry if I'm slow...

Also, sorry for the update, but I need to save the rowIndex,columnIndex,color.ToARGB when user clicks the Color button, not when the Form Closes, cuz the same program is running on another computer, and the color will update there also. (This one I will figure it out myself, so it is ok)

Quote Originally Posted by Volkof View Post
    But my VB programming skill is not very good, I don't know the exact code to write.
    We don't expect you to know already, but not knowing the exact code already doesn't mean you shouldn't try to work it out - based on the things you do know, the examples you have seen, and the information available (there are lots of tutorials and examples on the internet).

We are here to help you with things that are too hard to work out yourself, not to save you the effort of trying to do the things you could do... in this case you haven't even started writing a loop (which is something you shouldn't ask us for help with, thousand of tutorials cover loops, and part of post 7 above is useful), you've just asked us to write it all for you.

Being concerned that you can't do all of it doesn't mean you should avoid doing anything.

Do the bits you can, and put in some effort to find out how to do the other parts. If you get stuck then show us what you've come up with, and explain what you are stuck with.

Lively Member

This is what I've got.
    The bold part I could not figure out, how do you check if the Cell has Backcolor?

Code:

Dim colorString As String
            Dim rowIndex As Integer
            Dim colIndex As Integer

colorString = clrDialog.Color.ToArgb.ToString               'Get Color Code

End If
            clrDialog.Dispose()

'Loop through the DataGridView, find Cell where backcolor = changed, store rowIndex,columnIndex,color.ToARGB

Dim i As Integer = 0        'Counter for Rows
            Dim j As Integer = 0        'Counter for Columns

For i = 0 To ProjectsDataGridView.RowCount - 1
                For j = 0 To ProjectsDataGridView.ColumnCount - 1
                    'Check if each cell has Backcolor
                    If ProjectsDataGridView.Rows(i).Cells(j).Style.BackColor = True Then
                        rowIndex = i                'Get Row Index
                        colIndex = j                'Get Col Index
                    End If
                Next
            Next

End Sub

Hi

well you could check if something has changed but I would just write all the Data to a Text file

here a sample
    Code:
    Private Sub Button11_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button11.Click
            SaveGrid(DataGridView1, "E:\Test\color.txt")
        End Sub
        Public Sub SaveGrid(ByVal Grid As DataGridView, ByVal FileFullName As String)
            Dim Rows(Grid.RowCount - 1) As String
            Dim Cols(Grid.ColumnCount - 1) As String
            For i As Integer = 0 To Grid.RowCount - 1
                For j As Integer = 0 To Grid.ColumnCount - 1
                    Cols(j) = Grid(j, i).Style.BackColor.ToArgb
                Next
                Rows(i) = Strings.Join(Cols, ";")
            Next
            System.IO.File.WriteAllText(FileFullName, Strings.Join(Rows, vbNewLine))
        End Sub
    my DGV as 5 rows and 5 columns
    this is what my Test file looks like
    the value 0 is white(Empty = no Color selected)
    the other valus are Red and DarkOrange
    Code:
    -65536;0;0;0;0
    0;0;0;0;0
    0;0;0;-29696;0
    0;0;0;-65536;0
    0;0;0;0;0
    Last edited by ChrisE; Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:25 PM.
    since 2010 the number of Tigers are rising again in 2016 - 3900 were counted. with Baby Callas it's 3901, my wife and I had 2-3 months the privilege of raising a Baby Tiger.

your welcome

@ChrisE... I wouldn't bother saving the colors after each change. Simpler to save on Form FormClosing, and reload on Form Load

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
    Hi

well you could check if something has changed but I would just write all the Data to a Text file

here a sample
    Code:
    Private Sub Button11_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button11.Click
            SaveGrid(DataGridView1, "E:\Test\color.txt")
        End Sub
        Public Sub SaveGrid(ByVal Grid As DataGridView, ByVal FileFullName As String)
            Dim Rows(Grid.RowCount - 1) As String
            Dim Cols(Grid.ColumnCount - 1) As String
            For i As Integer = 0 To Grid.RowCount - 1
                For j As Integer = 0 To Grid.ColumnCount - 1
                    Cols(j) = Grid(j, i).Style.BackColor.ToArgb
                Next
                Rows(i) = Strings.Join(Cols, ";")
            Next
            System.IO.File.WriteAllText(FileFullName, Strings.Join(Rows, vbNewLine))
        End Sub
    my DGV as 5 rows and 5 columns
    this is what my Test file looks like
    the value 0 is white(Empty = no Color selected)
    the other valus are Red and DarkOrange
    Code:
    -65536;0;0;0;0
    0;0;0;0;0
    0;0;0;-29696;0
    0;0;0;-65536;0
    0;0;0;0;0
    Hi ChrisE, the issue is that the user may ADD/DELETE/SORT the DataGridView, then the texfile won't tally anymore.

@paul, I can't use FormClosing because I have another computer running the same program and the changes need to be real-time (sort-of, I have an auto-refresh function).

So I am checking if Color is not WHITE
    I am thinking of only saving the ProjectsDataGridView.row(ID).value, ColumnIndex, Color
    Cuz if user ADD/DELETE/SORT, ID will stay the same.
    Also I don't need to store for the entire DataGridView

Name:  EVC_Kiosk_CellColor_1.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  31.3 KB

So in this example, Row ID 122 has color changed

TextFile
    122, 0, Red
    122, 1, Red

Then whenever the program refresh, it will read from textfile, Loop the DataGridView and check Column 0 where Value = 122, set the Cell Color

That's the idea.
    I may have to come back and ask more questions

I think you are heading in the wrong directon with wanting to save the colors to a text file

or I got it wrong.

here a sample of coloring cells baseed on another cell (status changed in a row)

Code:
      Dim tb As DataTable = New DataTable

Private Sub Form7_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
            tb.Columns.Add("ID")
            tb.Columns.Add("QtyOut")
            tb.Columns.Add("QtyIn")
            tb.Columns.Add("Stock")
            tb.Columns.Add("Balance")
            tb.Rows.Add("1", "20", "230", "400", "Confirmed")
            tb.Rows.Add("2", "6", "210", "300", "On Hold")
            tb.Rows.Add("3", "5", "220", "25", "Incomplete")
            tb.Rows.Add("4", "4", "126", "1233", "Urgent")
            DataGridView1.DataSource = tb
        End Sub

Private Sub ApplyFormatting()
            For Each row As DataGridViewRow In DataGridView1.Rows
                Select Case CStr(row.Cells(4).Value) 'based on Cell  4
                    Case Is = "Confirmed"
                        row.Cells(0).Style.BackColor = Color.Aquamarine
                        'or any other Cell = 0 1 2 or 3 in this case
                    Case Is = "On Hold"
                        row.Cells(2).Style.BackColor = Color.Pink
                    Case Is = "Incomplete"
                        row.Cells(3).Style.BackColor = Color.Bisque
                    Case Is = "Urgent"
                        row.Cells(2).Style.BackColor = Color.Red
                End Select
            Next
        End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
            ApplyFormatting()
        End Sub