Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Billion Dollar Idea

Re: Multi-Billion Dollar Idea

I tried transporting the other night... despite being reassured that it was wonderfull... it didn't go quite the way I anticipated... Security cameras caught it all on video

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Porter View Post
    Shaggy, maybe you should check yourself for other errors:

* one arm longer than the other
    * laughing at your own jokes before you mouth them
    * strange urge to play Fortnite (crossed streams with a neighbors gameplay)

Hell, you may not have anymore rights as a copy of your original self. You better build more UDP teleporters and ship them to various locations around the world in order to safely create copies of yourself, if your teleporting system detects no heartbeat from your Fitbit watch. Even if you're just simply jailed, you know you're living life elsewhere.

I decided not to go there, but it's all pretty valid. Any kind of Star Trek like teleporter is essentially immortality, though Star Trek may not have ever gone there. Once you can turn a person into a data stream, then you can save and restore from backup, clone, and so forth.

I think I have done the "laugh at my own jokes before you mouth them" part. I can remember at least two occasions where I woke myself up from a dream by laughing. I don't remember the joke in either case, but they made me laugh LOL...while sleeping, which woke me up.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    I decided not to go there, but it's all pretty valid. Any kind of Star Trek like teleporter is essentially immortality, though Star Trek may not have ever gone there. Once you can turn a person into a data stream, then you can save and restore from backup, clone, and so forth.

I think I have done the "laugh at my own jokes before you mouth them" part. I can remember at least two occasions where I woke myself up from a dream by laughing. I don't remember the joke in either case, but they made me laugh LOL...while sleeping, which woke me up.
    Uh-oh! Maybe you can reverse this laughing error by teleporting from where you was recieved back to the sending teleporter.

If that doesn't work, I'm sure you can turn this into a positive thing, like being a Jimmy Fallon paid audience member!
    Last edited by Peter Porter; May 31st, 2019 at 08:49 AM.

Does he pay me? Does it cover travel expenses? That's a big one, for me.

Just thought of another brilliant multibillion dollar idea.

Two words...... Beer Run

An app similar to Uber Eats only its all strictly alcohol (wine, beer, spirits), cigarettes, and in some states or countries, weed. It will also have a method for delivery drivers to check ids before making the final drop. Totally brilliant!!! You can even choose what kind of weed you want. Acapulco Gold, Arizona Reds, Maui Waui, Hindu Kush, Master Kush, Blueberry Kush, Bubble Gum Kush, Government grown stuff. The options are endless. Billions shall be made!!! Now wheres my beer?

You realize they have weed delivery services already, right?
    My usual boring signature: Something

That does sound like it might work....or else it will run up against state laws. Not sure which.

Quote Originally Posted by dclamp View Post
    You realize they have weed delivery services already, right?
    Beer Run plans on stealing 80% of the market share

Well, Denver and Oakland have also left you mushroom for expansion.

Oooooo organic shrooms. Psychodelic

LA, Calif. Raiders #1 AKA:Gangsta Yodaâ„¢

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Just thought of another brilliant multibillion dollar idea.

Two words...... Beer Run

An app similar to Uber Eats only its all strictly alcohol (wine, beer, spirits), cigarettes, and in some states or countries, weed. It will also have a method for delivery drivers to check ids before making the final drop. Totally brilliant!!! You can even choose what kind of weed you want. Acapulco Gold, Arizona Reds, Maui Waui, Hindu Kush, Master Kush, Blueberry Kush, Bubble Gum Kush, Government grown stuff. The options are endless. Billions shall be made!!! Now wheres my beer?
    Actually that would be illegal. The app company would need to have a liquor license in whatever counties/cities you would have deliveries to. You cannot transport alcohol across some state lines too without permit. Basically in order to work every liquor selling establishment would need to have their own app so they are delivering the alcohol themselves without a unlicensed middleman and then again not 100% sure even that would be legal.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda™ ®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Heck, you might as well do an app for sex lol. "Dial-A-Hoe"
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    • Reps & Rating Posts • VS.NET on Vista • Multiple .NET Framework Versions • Office Primary Interop Assemblies • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NET • VB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6 • VB.NET Attributes Ex. • Outlook Global Address List • API Viewer utility • .NET API Viewer Utility •
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    Actually that would be illegal. The app company would need to have a liquor license in whatever counties/cities you would have deliveries to. You cannot transport alcohol across some state lines too without permit. Basically in order to work every liquor selling establishment would need to have their own app so they are delivering the alcohol themselves without a unlicensed middleman and then again not 100% sure even that would be legal.
    I thought there would have to be a legal reason why it wouldn't work. The idea is too good otherwise, yet nobody does it. Those liquor licenses would be the reason. Of course, you could just deliver Coors Light, which is pretty much water anyways.

Eastbound and down . . .

Well right now Uber Eats is allowing alcohol to be delivered from restaurants, whether its bottles of wine, beer, sake, or whatever. So if there exists a license for delivery then its feasable.

I think you're better off sticking with the pot courier idea. The driver could deliver, then a second driver could show up an hour later with a fully-stocked snack truck.

PowerPoster

I didn't read all the posts, cuz there are quite a few.

Isn't your idea similar to the movie "Ready Player One" ?

But I can only see this happening if the 3D environment is created by AI guided by humans. To create such a huge environment is quite a task by humans alone.

Yeah only imagine that as "One" website. Every website will all be virtual worlds in the form of virtual real estate people can own and make money off of like a service. Im talking all kinds of different realities. Even Facebook is going VR. Just saying that the the 2D sites consiting of images, text, and media are behind the times and in the dark ages.

Just thought of another multibillion dollar idea. What is the one technology we dont have in high definition yet in our digital age? Can you guess? Phones. Our phone calls are still sounding like complete garbage. Half the time you cant understand the person unless they are speaking directly into the mic of the phone. HD phones should be a thing while phone lines disappear. With our wireless technology you shouldnt even need lines at all. All you need is internet. The calls should sound crystal clear. Not garbled garbage. If they can make radio HD anything should be possible. So I should help shape this technology. Even speaker phone which sounds even worse should be changed.

HD calls on mobile phones (known as "HD Voice") have been around for a couple of years, it just isn't fully standardised yet... at the moment you need certain phones and/or networks, and it does tend to be limited to calls where both phones are on the same network.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Roman View Post
    Just thought of another multibillion dollar idea. What is the one technology we dont have in high definition yet in our digital age? Can you guess? Phones. Our phone calls are still sounding like complete garbage. Half the time you cant understand the person unless they are speaking directly into the mic of the phone. HD phones should be a thing while phone lines disappear. With our wireless technology you shouldnt even need lines at all. All you need is internet. The calls should sound crystal clear. Not garbled garbage. If they can make radio HD anything should be possible. So I should help shape this technology. Even speaker phone which sounds even worse should be changed.
    Spoken like a true flat lander.

Take a look at phone coverage maps. Do you see those big empty spaces in the mountain west? That's where I live. This state has no cell coverage in large areas. Internet is...bizarre. We get AWESOME connectivity at a fish trap that is the last building on a long road up a valley. Meanwhile, the nearest towns have miserable connection rates. So, while there is no cell service at all, the internet service via DSL is terrific. In the neighboring towns, the internet service is mediocre, while cell service...was added to one place just a couple years back. Prior to that cell tower, there were't even many land lines into that town, so it wasn't uncommon to get the message, "no lines available, try again later." When trying to call in or out.

A couple years back, I did a longish hike in NH. At the end, my sister was going to climb a mountain and meet me near the top. We had a hard time coordinating that, because, while I had good service on the mountain, she had none until she was part way up the mountain. That's in a fairly well populated, but not particularly flat, part of the country. I was back there a few weeks ago, and was surprised at how poor and spotty the cell service was. Hills means you need more towers to get blanket coverage. Zoning means that getting more towers is mighty hard to do.

Once Google gets it's fleet of blimps up there, your idea will have more merit.

Dont worry. By that time, internet will be in the middle of the desert as well as in the mountains and the most rural areas. Internet will be everywhere. Might as well produce a whole mess of internet in the middle of the ocean! The world will be all high definition phones, with VR websites taking you to so many different realities. Ad revenue will pour in like M&Ms off a waterfall

PowerPoster

When Elon Musk will be done deploying the 12000 satellites, the entire planet will have internet, and high quality phone calls as a result

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Solar Powered Washing Lines.

Bound to be a hit.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyDexter View Post
    Solar Powered Washing Lines.

Bound to be a hit.
    I heard that line before. I think the idea is a bit washed up though.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

I've also considered patenting reversible under-crackers...
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

I remember using a wind powered washing line. It got interesting in the winter. You had to arrange the wash just right in the basket, because when it was well below 0 (F), it would be freezing before you could hang it. That motivated some quick work.

Then, if you wanted to get some clothes, you could pry them off the line and stack them like lumber. You'd bring in just what you needed and hang them over the stove to dry out.

Still worked, though. You might say that drying clothes on a line at those temperatures was a sublime experience.

Do you live in Yorkshire?

Edit> that might not travel well outside of the UK. Not sure.

No, but I used to live beside Peterborough. Of course, it's not the Peterborough over there. We just swiped the name. Ours may now be a bit more famous, though not under it's true name.

I have no idea what the Yorkshire reference is about, though.

5G is coming. 5Ge is already here but its a inbetween speed and not true 5G

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Quote Originally Posted by RobDog888 View Post
    5G is coming. 5Ge is already here but its a inbetween speed and not true 5G
    You just gave me another Multibillion Dollar idea. 6G!!!

5G is old tech technically. All it is, is the same thing the military uses for crowd control. Not to mention it has dangerous health effects to the public. It rapidly increases your chance of getting cancer, it makes men impotent, it makes women no longer fertile, and gives you headaches. Not to mention they have to make a billion of these boxes because the frequencies are so weak, that they have to make em 2 blocks apart from one another across the entire planet. Its like having your house next to a cell phone tower. No wonder the phone companies and the FCC allowed this without any testing and is rushing this thing out.

6G will go back to its roots. And will be in the Terahertz! Instead of cell phone towers or stupid boxes every 2 blocks, it will be far far away from the public. As in, it will be coming from Satellites! No longer will people worry about the harmful radiation, and effects of 5G. Not to mention high definition phones will finally be a thing. And it will reach rural and mountainous areas due to the fact it is now coming from satellites. This will not only make me billions, but potentially trillions! I should get a Nobel Peace Prize for this for saving the planet that was almost dead from the effects of 5G!!!

PowerPoster

Just having a higher frequency, it does not mean it's faster. You can transmit more data, but the higher the frequency the more interference you get, and therefore shorter distance.

Going a little bit Sci-Fi here; but in theory there HAS to be a better / faster way of communication. I'm thinking quantum entanglement

Explain this quantum entanglement

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

If you could actually transmit information using quantum entanglement, it would theoretically provide faster-than-light - instantaneous - communication across any distance, even billions of light years.

Unhackable, too, as there would be no middle to be the man in.

I was under the impression that something like this is being tried between ground and satellite.

From what I understand (and I'm clearly a genius level quantum physicist so you can trust me) the uncertainty principle basically precludes communication via entanglement. Basically, because observing one property precludes observing another, we can't actually formulate meaning into a message. I saw a program about it years back and won't pretend to have properly understood it (or even vaguely understood it, for that matter) but I'm 100% certain of my facts after a few beers.

I believe that is wrong, and I'm clearly as knowledgeable about the subject as you, so, therefore I am eminently qualified to pontificate on the subject.

As I understand it, what you can measure is spin. For entangled particles, one has an up spin and the other a down spin. If you flip one, the other flips, which means that you can send a binary signal by flipping the spins.

I didn't think it was possible because I didn't think that a quantum entangled state could be maintained for any meaningful length of time, but I feel fairly certain that I read that some Asian country (I forget which one, though China and Japan seem likely) was trying out such a communication between ground and a satellite....though whether or not it worked is a different matter.

Ah, but, bringing my undoubted body of knowledge to the table, the uncertainty principle says that observing one property precludes us from observing another. If I remember right, and clearly I do because it's 8AM here so I'm already drunk, spin was one such property. Observing it meant we lost the ability to observe a related property (position, if I remember right) that would allow us to associated it with the particle it was entangled to. I'm probably talking rubbish though.

By the way, I thought entanglement was a permanent state engendered at the time the particles originally separated so wouldn't need to be maintained.

I thought uncertainty was that you could know the location or the speed, but not both.

Well, I'll freely admit that, despite my encyclopaedic and entirely accurate knowledge on this, I haven't really paid much attention for years so everything's dimly remembered and even back then I was picking it up mainly from pop sources and often without any true understanding. My opinion on the communication thing not working comes from a very dimly remembered pop science program I watched where they were talking about the theory and deconstructing it. 1. Chances are I misunderstood a lot of it back then, 2. chances are I'm misremembering it now and 3. Chances are science has moved on since then anyway. You shouldn't so much take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt as buy an industrial de-salinization plant.

But I thought uncertainty applied to a bunch of different properties. Position and speed were certainly a pair I remember but I think there were all sorts of pairings it applied to. I'm very open to being wrong on this though.

I would dig out some of the books I was reading back to check then but I went on a minimalist binge a couple of years ago and got rid of them all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast