Thread: CodeHelp: Multi-Tab/Mousewheel/FullScreen/TabIndex/AutoComplete Addin for VB6

Fanatic Member

CodeHelp: Multi-Tab/Mousewheel/FullScreen/TabIndex/AutoComplete Addin for VB6

If you are switching back and forth between VB6 and another language, one thing that the VB6 IDE lacks is multi-tabs for the code windows that you open. CodeSmart does this and more, but it's not free. This Addin is free and open source, and it has its own plugins. I didn't write this Addin, but thank you to however made it, it improved my productivity tremendously, especially the Multi-tab feature. You can find the Addin here along with screenshots:

http://www.Planet-Source-Code.com/vb...62468&lngWId=1

Plugins(Can be enabled or disabled individually):

• Multi-Tab: Adds tabs when you have multiple windows open(including form designers), and you can press Ctrl+0 to 9 to quickly switch between windows. It supports more than 10 tabs.
    • Mousewheel support.
    • Auto complete: You press Space to auto complete after typing certain keywords that you configure.
    • Full screen: Press Shift+Enter to go full screen.
    • Tab Index: Allows you to fix tab order by easy clicking on controls in the order you want.

I started this thread because it wasn't easy to compile as it consisted of several DLL's. There is a Readme.txt file in CHCore folder that illustrates how to compile the Addins, but I put more details here as it took me sometime to figure it out. Someone posted a link to a setup file in the comments section, I uploaded it to VirusTotal, which didn't find anything, but I couldn't unpack it to test the DLL's inside. Anyway, I prefer to compile it myself.

How to compile:

1. Start a new copy of VB6, then register CHCore\Interfaces\CHLib.tlb and CHCore\WinAPIForVB.tlb by using "Browse" to browse to the two files. This will register these type libraries. I made the mistake of opening CHCore project, and finding that these libraries were checked in the References dialog as if they were already registered, and the end result was empty list of plugins in the UI. Apparently they weren't registered, so you have to browse to them to register them.
    2. Delete Connect.DCA file in CHCore folder. It's a cached file that might interfere with the compilation. There are also .tmp files that you need to delete as well.
    3. Check for any missing references before you compile. In particular, CHCore and all the Plugins would list "CodeHelp Global Object" as missing because the GUID changed. In this case, uncheck the missing, then close the References dialog, then open it again and add it. This updates the GUID to the correct one.
    4. You might get an error about not being able to set a version compatible component. Ignore it for now, it will be fixed in step 7.
    5. Check for any missing references as explained in step 3, then compile CHGlobal.vbp(in CHGlobal subfolder).
    6. Check for any missing references as explained in step 3, then compile CHCore.vbp(in CHCore folder). However, make sure that you browse to "CHCore"(Not to be confused with CHCoder) folder itself before compiling the DLL.
    7. Go to Project-->Properties-->Component tab, then select Binary Compatibilty. This insures that when you make modifications and recompile, you don't see multiple entries with the same name in References, and that everything would work smoothly. Save the project when prompted(This saves Binary Compatibility, and paths to DLL files, even though you didn't edit any code).
    8. For each of the plugins(Except BlankTemplate), repeat the process above(Steps 4-7). However, make sure that you browse to the "Plugins" folder itself before compiling the DLL. You can't compile it somewhere else, then copy it there, because the path to the DLL is saved in the registry.

After the compilation, you should see "CodeHelp" menu item to the right of "Addins" menu, and there should be a list of 6 Plugins. Clicking on a Plugin, then More Info would bring a brief help file in how to use some of the plugins.

In case you make mistakes, and you want to unregister all DLL's and start over, put the following in a batch file, and fix the path to what you were using. Make sure that you run the Command Prompt as Administrator, otherwise you get error messages.

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /u C:\VB\Addins\CHCore\CHGlobalLib\CHGlobalLib.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /u C:\VB\Addins\CHCore\CHCore.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /u C:\VB\Addins\CHCore\Plugins\CHCoder.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /u C:\VB\Addins\CHCore\Plugins\CHFullScreen.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /u C:\VB\Addins\CHCore\Plugins\CHMWheel.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /u C:\VB\Addins\CHCore\Plugins\CHTabMDI2.dll
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\regsvr32 /u C:\VB\Addins\CHCore\Plugins\CHTabIdx.dll
    Last edited by qvb6; Apr 27th, 2019 at 11:14 AM.

Fanatic Member

Re: CodeHelp: Multi-Tab/Mousewheel/FullScreen/TabIndex/AutoComplete Addin for VB6

The Add-in above clears the Clipboard; which is a pain, however; by using the routines here, I was able to save and restore the clipboard. The code that clears the clipboard is all in Connect.Dsr, AddMenuItem(). Just add the following code before and after:

ClipboardSave 0 ' Before
    ' ... Clipboard routines here
    ClipboardRestore 'After

Hyperactive Member

Re: CodeHelp: Multi-Tab/Mousewheel/FullScreen/TabIndex/AutoComplete Addin for VB6

very good add-in I use it a lot.

I have the following problem with the ide if I have something saved in the clipboard when I open the ide, all the content is deleted.
    It also happened to me before using your add-in, I only have the resource editor and CodeHelp loaded.

a greeting and forgiveness for the language

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Just some feedback.

I have been trying a lot of IDE improvements from various sources and some of them are useful (for a time) then I tend to deactivate them while still keeping them present for when I need them. Some do some incredible stuff but the whole IDE becomes too shaky to use. This codehelp add-on is the best I have encountered so far, FOSS and all. I now have tabs!

You forget how useful they are until you receive them, like manna from God!

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Is there a list of mOst favoured IDE extensions?
    Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber; Jun 28th, 2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: O

Are there an updated download link?
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

Hyperactive Member

...register CHCore\Interfaces\CHLib.tlb and CHCore\WinAPIForVB.tlb by using "Browse" to browse to the two files. This will register these type libraries. I made the mistake of opening CHCore project, and finding that these libraries were checked in the References dialog as if they were already registered, and the end result was empty list of plugins in the UI. Apparently they weren't registered, so you have to browse to them to register them.
    I downloaded the package from GitHub but there are no .TLB files in the ZIP file at all... Also, when I load CHCore.tlb I get a complaint that not only does it need the 2 .TLB files you reference above but also chlib,tlb which is also nowhere to be found. It is also looking for CHCore.dll which is not in the .ZIP file either.

Hyperactive Member

try this
    CHCore.zip

Hyperactive Member

The CHCore.zip file is corrupted...

Normally opens here.
    Malware analyst, VirusNet developer, HiJackThis+ author || my CodeBank works

Hyperactive Member

use winrar 5.91

Hyperactive Member

I normally use Directory Opus for my ZIP files and for some reason it won't open CHCore.zip. However, I unzipped it with 7Zip. The directions above say register WinAPIForVB.tlb but that file is not found in the unzipped files...

Hyperactive Member

Hyperactive Member

Okay, now this is getting silly. The directions in step 1 discuss 7 .DLL files that must be registered to get this add-in to work. These .DLLs are: CHGlobalLib.dll, CHCore.dll, CHCoder.dll, CHFullScreen.dll, CHMWheel.dll, CHTabMDI2.dll, CHTabIdx.dll but none of these are included in the .ZIP file.

I appreciate the original poster trying to help everyone by posting an add-in but it would be extremely helpful if the poster would check to ensure that all of the required files are present.

Hyperactive Member

you have to compile them yourself, it is forbidden to put dll in the attachments
    CHGlobalLib.dll in folder CHGlobalLib
    CHFullScreen.dll, CHMWheel.dll, CHTabMDI2.dll, CHTabIdx.dll in folder plugins put plugins dll in this folder
    I haven't compiled it for many years, I don't know what more steps to do

Hyperactive Member

The files are not here. I got them off of GitHub. I don't think GitHub has limitations on putting DLL's in ZIP files does it?

There is an updated version here: https://github.com/clayreimann/CodeHelp

DLLs are not uploaded neither in the repo not under Releases tab which is unfortunate.

cheers,
    </wqw>

Hello,

I am new to VB6 😊 (on Windows 10 Pro). I'm getting into it because I like old things, just like I like AMSTRAD CPC.

I've been stuck on CodeHelp sources (v2.2 and 3.0) for several days. I have already compiled dozens of DLLs to add them to my favorite components, but CodeHelp remains reluctant to all my attempts.
    1 - To avoid the compatibility error message, I started by removing the line CompatibleEXE32... in all the .vbp files
    2 - Then I got a second error message "Failed to define the compatible component".

What must be compatible with what?!? I have never encountered such a problem on simple DLLs. I understand that version 1.2 of CodeHelp is less hassle to compile. Does anyone still own this version? Thank you with all my heart.

(Ps: sorry for my poor english, I'm French and I live in France)
    Last edited by Fredisland; Aug 18th, 2023 at 06:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoutdv View Post
    Thank you Arnoutdv for the link. Halas, it does not work (Message : « The waiting period is exceeded »).
    But I have the setup for CodeHelp 2.2. I would have liked to compile myself the DLL because I want to make some modifications (for example, font for Tabs et TabIndex bigger).

Frenzied Member

This repo has a compiled version of 1.2

https://github.com/FrannDzs/addins/tree/master/Tabs

There is a 2.2 zip in a folder above it but I didn’t look inside to see if there is a dll or not

ColinE also had a tabstrip which may be easier to work with

https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....ssing-hooking)
    Last edited by dz32; Aug 18th, 2023 at 10:38 PM.

@dz32, do you have a new location on github? I looked for dizzie but everything was removed!

Frenzied Member

I am moving everything off of GitHub and back to my site sandsprite.com. I still have some links to fix but am now just self hosting zips of stable snap shots
    Last edited by dz32; Aug 19th, 2023 at 02:58 AM.