Thread: Is it possible to link table from DB2 database server in Access 2000 automatically?

Is it possible to link table from DB2 database server in Access 2000 automatically?

We are still using 32bit DB2 database server and we are dependent on Access 2000 driver to access/update/delete data from DB2 tables since the driver is old and cannot work on Windows 10 computers.

We have a requirement to change the year of data entry each year. So my plan is to somehow automate the process.
    Each year we create data entry tables which have the same prefix in the name but different year, like so:

MY_DATA_ENTRY_TABLE_2017
    MY_DATA_ENTRY_TABLE_2019

Is it possible to somehow check if a given table exists with a predetermined name(MY_DATA_ENTRY_TABLE_2019 for example), and if it exists on DB2 server, Access 2000 attaches it automatically with some VBA code?

Additionally if such script can exist, can I call it from VB.NET since the application I am building is made in VB.NET?

Frenzied Member

Re: Is it possible to link table from DB2 database server in Access 2000 automaticall

I don't know VBA/Access very well but checking for existence of a table should be pretty simple (e.g., trap the error).

I was curious about what DB2 driver you are using that won't work on Win 10?

Re: Is it possible to link table from DB2 database server in Access 2000 automaticall

Hmm, we are having trouble maintaining old VB6 apps, so we didn't had time to test all the possible improvements. But we are getting better, slowly.
    We are using Access 2000 to do basic database operations.

Now its the time to investigate if the 32bit DB2 driver will do basic operations on Windows 10 without Access 2000 which is ideal case.
    But it should work I think. Why it wouldn't.
    Last edited by kutlesh; Mar 11th, 2019 at 08:57 AM.

Frenzied Member

Are you using CWBODBC.DLL (v13.00.01 is what I have) to connect to DB2? Normally I use IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries since we are in .Net (though we have also used OleDb), but have needed IBM's ODBC driver to export from Access. But maybe your DB2 install isn't on iSeries/AS400 - not sure if that makes a difference.