Thread: [SEMI-RESOLVED] Render Word Document

Resolved [SEMI-RESOLVED] Render Word Document

Im needing to generate docx documents in our intranet site via mail merge templates. I need to be able to display the docx either in the browser or word BUT need to be able to allow editing that can be easily be saved back up to the server.

I have some code already to find the MERGE tags and populate them but its old and maybe theres a better way now?
    http://www.codeproject.com/KB/office...rgefields.aspx

I havent found any good reliable way to trap the editing if it opens in Word from a browser link so Im exploring the in-browser possibility.

Whats the best way to do this?

Thanks
    Last edited by RobDog888; Mar 12th, 2019 at 03:48 PM.
    VB/Office Guru™ (AKA: Gangsta Yoda®)
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Office Development FAQ (C#, VB.NET, VB 6, VBA)
    Senior Jedi Software Engineer MCP (VB 6 & .NET), BSEE, CET
    If a post has helped you then Please Rate it!
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

Re: Render Word Document

we use syncfusion docio for this. It's incredibly easy to use. I was able to go from no knowledge at all to rendering word documents to pdf files and then importing other pdfs into them. It's quite robust. We were originally custom-generating bills of lading, and they were dynamically generated. We were able to create 14 generic ones (based on 14 ticket types) and the customers are able to edit them since they are docx files.
    My light show youtube page (it's made the news) www.youtube.com/@artnet2twinkly
    Contact me on the socials www.facebook.com/lordorwell

Wow, thats about $1,000 more than the dev pack we use DevCraft Complete from Progress / Telerik but it has a very raw WordsProcessing library that we are not using due to its infancy. Hope to work it in eventually as time allows.

For now Im using the merge field conversion and replacement very similar to th eCP article I linked.
    I dont answer coding questions via PM. Please post a thread in the appropriate forum.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011
    Reps & Rating PostsVS.NET on Vista Multiple .NET Framework Versions Office Primary Interop AssembliesVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™.NETVB/Office Guru™ Word SpellChecker™ VB6VB.NET Attributes Ex.Outlook Global Address ListAPI Viewer utility.NET API Viewer Utility
    System: Intel i7 6850K, Geforce GTX1060, Samsung M.2 1 TB & SATA 500 GB, 32 GBs DDR4 3300 Quad Channel RAM, 2 Viewsonic 24" LCDs, Windows 10, Office 2016, VS 2019, VB6 SP6

So Telerik came back with my support isssue where their conversion to word is outputting malformed word document. Seems they have a bug and we wont be able to use the library for at least another quarter or two minimum. I had hoped to upgrade the functionality and reduce the code but since its working its ok for now.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Just got another email back from support. They figured out one of the rendering issues when converting the word document to pdf so I can write my own code to "prepare" teh document so it converts without the error. w00t!

If I can convert all the word documents to pdf just for displaying in the browser that will be sufficient for now.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011

Just got another email back from support. They figured out one of the rendering issues when converting the word document to pdf so I can write my own code to "prepare" teh document so it converts without the error. w00t!

If I can convert all the word documents to pdf just for displaying in the browser that will be sufficient for now.

Microsoft MVP 2006-2011