Thread: Web responsive user interface

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Web responsive user interface

I'm curious for those creating web solutions

• Is mobile a factor in the design setup a responsive interaction with various devices
    • Is testing done for portrait and landscape
    • Do you test on a single device e.g. iPhone or use a third party tool or service
    • If any what styling framework is being used
    • Are you familiar with SAAS and have you modified a framework such as Bootstrap
    • What if any rules are in place for styling throughout your applications
    • What location are global style .css files locate
    • In a team environment is there are review process
    • Is a dedicated developer who focuses on writing styles

Re: Web responsive user interface

It's been a while since I slapped together a blog, but I always made sure they're mobile friendly for most devices, tested in portrait and landscape. They're backwards compatible for old browsers, but have the needed code for modern ones. I'm a front-end builder, using a mix of good-old HTML, HTML5, CSS and Javascript, but always worked alone.

Answering on behalf of our design team:

- Is mobile a factor in the design setup a responsive interaction with various devices
    --- Definitely. If you're not doing mobile responsive isn't really a big deal as most monitors will handle the max width specified

- Is testing done for portrait and landscape
    --- 100% yes.

- Do you test on a single device e.g. iPhone or use a third party tool or service
    --- Yes, they use browserstack as well as the Chrome developer tools to test different sizes

- If any what styling framework is being used
    --- Bootstrap 3/4 depending on the project

- Are you familiar with SAAS and have you modified a framework such as Bootstrap
    --- They are not familiar with SAAS or LESS and it is making things a major pain for them right now because we are introducing them to git. They use one monolithic css file and it is causing merge conflicts galore. They do not modify bootstrap itself, but they have their own classes that override certain settings.

- What if any rules are in place for styling throughout your applications
    --- My work has a branding guide they have to follow for colours and a few other things, but other than that they rely on their design backgrounds for proper spacing, block design, etc.

- What location are global style .css files locate
    --- Not sure what you mean. We have a server we store our css files under like /Global/version/whatever.css, but mostly the files are hosted within the applications themselves.

- In a team environment is there are review process
    --- Yup. They all review each other's designs and the layout of the css/html and it doesn't get merged into the master branch unless someone has approved the pull request.

- Is a dedicated developer who focuses on writing styles
    --- We have 3 designers who focus 100% on the html/css. We are transitioning them into front-end web developers but right now they typically do the designs in a somewhat standalone capacity and then the developers take their styles and apply them to the application. Once we have applied it, it goes through another round of peer reviews until they're happy we moved everything over correctly, and then gets merged into our main dev branch.

Karen Payne MVP kareninstructor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kfcSmitty View Post
    - What location are global style .css files locate
    --- Not sure what you mean. We have a server we store our css files under like /Global/version/whatever.css, but mostly the files are hosted within the applications themselves.
    What I mean is were are your core .css files located e.g. bootstrap (for example) in a folder on a server that all applications uses verses bootstrap css files in each application folder. I've seen developers who will add say bootstrap to a project using NuGet directly into the project folder rather than point to it on a server where bootstrap 3 is in one folder while bootstrap 4 in another folder. The only css files we keep in the application folder are app specific and/or overrides to the globe styles.

For any library we use that is available on a CDN, we use a CDN. If they are application-specific, they live in the application, and if they are used across multiple applications and don't have a CDN available, then we will host them on our server under the /Global folder