Thread: Creating Folder (Mkdir)

Lively Member

Creating Folder (Mkdir)

How create Folder in "Program File" Folder? This destination Denied.
    After installation I want to create a folder in program file but there is an error message as below:
    Name:  Access Denied Message.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  12.0 KB

and I think this error message is due to the Access permission (as shown below )of the destination folder!
    Can you help me and tell me how can I create a folder in this destination folder?
    Name:  Access Denied.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  23.4 KB

Sincerely
    Mahmood Khaleel Pirani
    #MKhP7

Re: Creating Folder (Mkdir)

The application needs to be run "As Administrator". Your installation package should be creating any needed folders during installation, not after.

In Windows, there are folders provided to save application settings, user settings, and more. Maybe if you provide more details, we can offer suggestions/solutions.
    Insomnia is just a byproduct of, "It can't be done"

Classics Enthusiast? Here's my 1969 Mustang Mach I Fastback. Her sister '67 Coupe has been adopted

Newbie? Novice? Bored? Spend a few minutes browsing the FAQ section of the forum.
    Read the HitchHiker's Guide to Getting Help on the Forums.
    Here is the list of TAGs you can use to format your posts
    Here are VB6 Help Files online

{Alpha Image Control} {Memory Leak FAQ} {Unicode Open/Save Dialog} {Resource Image Viewer/Extractor}
    {VB and DPI Tutorial} {Manifest Creator} {UserControl Button Template} {stdPicture Render Usage}

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaVolpe View Post
    The application needs to be run "As Administrator". Your installation package should be creating any needed folders during installation, not after.

In Windows, there are folders provided to save application settings, user settings, and more. Maybe if you provide more details, we can offer suggestions/solutions.
    Ok, I got it But How to create subfolders during packaging of my App? I have problem there. Therefore I decided to create subfolders after Installing the App.

The Idiot

Code:
    Declare Function IsUserAnAdmin Lib "Shell32" Alias "#680" () As Integer
    this will tell u if your program is currently in Admin mode or not.
    you can check this thread for more info about how to make your program run as admin.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...-automatically

Lively Member

Thank you I made changes in (SETUP.LST) file to solve my problem, I will use your API for my next work, However I haven't enough knowlagde on it

If we're talking about sub-folders anywhere within C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), I think it's an absolutely horrible idea for a program to reach back into those folders and do anything at all (after initial installation). That's precisely what things like C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\[WhoEverYouAre]\Documents, or even the registry are for. Or, you could even create your own sub-folder in the C:\Users\[WhoEverYouAre]\YourSubFolder area. Or, if you've got a file-server on your system, use that for your data.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    If we're talking about sub-folders anywhere within C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), I think it's an absolutely horrible idea for a program to reach back into those folders and do anything at all (after initial installation). That's precisely what things like C:\ProgramData, C:\Users\[WhoEverYouAre]\Documents, or even the registry are for. Or, you could even create your own sub-folder in the C:\Users\[WhoEverYouAre]\YourSubFolder area. Or, if you've got a file-server on your system, use that for your data.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Many thanks dear Elroy for your comment. I know that it shouldn't be like that, but I have problem to create subfolders for my App. druring Packaging, therefore I tried to create subfolders after installation. For Now I got an idea to make changes in (SETUP.LST) file, and still I have problem I don't know how to create subfolders for my Apps. I want to create subfolders for different file types!!!
    If you have an idea I appreciate your help

#MKhP7