Thread: [VB6] PNG/ICO/ANI pictures in the standard controls.

PowerPoster

[VB6] PNG/ICO/ANI pictures in the standard controls.

DESCRIPTION IS OUTDATED. SEE DESCRIPTION ON GITHUB.

Hi everyone.

As you know, the built-in functions in Visual Basic 6.0 doesn't support the ability to work with PNG images, i.e. for example, you can't use a Png image as the Form.Picture property. I present a small library and an add-in which allow you to bypass these limitations. This library allows you to load and save Png images (with the alpha channel) by the standard functions (LoadPicture / SavePicture), and also gives the ability to use Png images (with the alpha channel) in the controls. Any control that uses standard Ole Picture objects will support Png images. In turn, if an image is displayed via IPicture::Render then the image will be drawn with the alpha channel. This library should work in all the versions of Windows since XP:

How to use?

The library can be used as an external DLL or to be linked to an executable file (native code only). To use it as the Dll, you must call the Initialize function which returns 1 if successful. After that, you can use the library features. If you need to unload the library, then you need to call the function CanUnloadNow which tells you whether it is possible to unload the library at the moment. If the library is ready for unloading, the function will return S_OK after which you need to call Uninitialize. If the function returns S_FALSE, the library can't be unloaded because there are the active Picture objects that aren't yet unloaded and they use the library. For IDE, a special Add-in was created that automatically loads the library when the environment starts. In the compiled version, for example, you can call the Initialize function in the Initialize event or in the Main procedure, and Uninaitilze function at the end of the code:

Code:
    Private Declare Function Initialize Lib "VBPng.dll" () As Long
    Private Declare Sub Uninitialize Lib "VBPng.dll" ()

Private Sub Form_Initialize()

If Initialize() = 0 Then
            MsgBox "Unable to initialize png dll", vbCritical
        End If

End Sub

Private Sub Form_Terminate()
        Uninitialize
    End Sub
    For static linking, you need to use a newer linker (in my examples I used the linker from Visual Studio 2010), since the original one has the bugs when using the /OPT:REF option and also you need to add this parameters in the VBCompiler section of the project file (vbp):
    For EXE:
    Code:
    LinkSwitches= ..\Libs\msvcrt_winxp.obj ..\Libs\VBPng.lib -ENTRY:mainCRTStartup
    For DLL:
    Code:
    LinkSwitches= ..\Libs\msvcrt_winxp.obj ..\Libs\VBPng.lib -ENTRY:VBDllMain -EXPORT:Initialize -EXPORT:Uninitialize
    In the DLL, in the compiled form it is necessary to do initialization by calling the Initialize function from itself at the start.

How does it work?

The library is written in C++. The principle of the library is based on the interception of OleLoadPictureEx and OleLoadPicture functions. These functions don't support PNG images, so if a PNG file is loaded, the VbPng library attempts to load the file using GDI+. If successful, a similar StdPicture object is created and is returned by the function. For the caller it looks like it works with the original object. The object supports IPicture, IPictureDisp, IPersistStream, IConnectionPointContainer (does not support connection point returns E_NOTIMPL), IDispatch interfaces, so it can be assigned to an Object variable or, for example, stored in a PropertyBag.

The function interceptor is implemented in the CHooker class. This class uses the length disassembler (ldasm) from Ms-Rem with a slight revision. The modification is to add the OP_REL32 flag to some instructions (for example, JMP SHORT), since this flag was missing in the original one in some relative instructions. To intercept a function, the simplest method is used - splicing. In that method the JMP instruction is inserted at the beginning of the function which transfers the execution flow to the interceptor function. Since the beginning of the original function contains instructions which we overwrite, it is necessary to correctly transfer the instructions in order to be able to call the original function. When the Hook method is called the length disassembler calculates the integer number of instructions which will be overwritten by the JMP instruction (5 bytes). After that, a temporary buffer is allocated (with the permissions to execute data) into which these instructions + JMP (to the instruction following to the rewritable one) will be copied. It allows to call the original function as if there was no the interception. There is the one difficulty that we can't just copy the instructions since there are relative instructions like JMP, CALL, JNE that "jump" relative to their address. To determine the type of an instruction we use the OP_REL32 flag that indicates whether the instruction is relative or not. Another difficulty lies in the fact that there are "short" relative instructions that "jump" within 255 bytes, and when transferring the code to the buffer the distance may be increased significantly. Therefore, after determining the number of the rewritable instructions, the buffer is allocated with the size to ensure translation the instructions from the short form to long one. After that, each instruction is analyzed and if necessary the offset and the type are corrected. At the end of the buffer the JMP instruction is added with an offset to the instruction following the last overwritten one. Finally, the beginning of the intercepted function is overwritten by the unconditional JMP to the interceptor one.

CHooker objects use a heap with execution permission as the code buffer, so the code is DEP safe. The heap is automatically created when creating the first interceptor and is deleted when the last one is destroyed. The project uses 2 such objects to intercept 2 functions - OleLoadPictureEx and OleLoadPicture, with the appropriate interceptors - OleLoadPictureEx_user and OleLoadPicture_user. On systems prior to Windows 8, it was possible to intercept only the OleLoadPictureEx function that is called from OleLoadPicture, but starting with Windows 8, OleLoadPicture calls the other undocumented OleLoadPictureExt, therefore, to ensure the correct work of some controls (for example, ImageList), you need to intercept 2 of these functions. Of course, you can try to intercept OleLoadPictureExt, but this function is undocumented and it isn't the fact that in the new versions of Windows Microsoft won't change this function to another one. In the interceptors the original function is called and if the call fails our implementation is called. In order to find out if the interception has already been done (for example, a loaded DLL has already intercepted and there is no point in doing it again) the "VBPng" environment variable is used.

The basis of the library is the CPicture class which implements all the logic of the images. This class was created on the basis of the reverse-engineering of the oleaut32 library; some functions are probably not implemented accurately. This class allows you to load PNG images from a COM stream (IStream), as well as save them to it. The library keeps track of the created objects in the g_lCountOfObject global variable in order to provide the control when unloading is possible (by the CanUnloadNow function). Otherwise, there would be no way to know if the library could be unloaded or not. Accordingly, when unloading the library with active objects a crash would occur.

Image loading is performed in the LoadFromStream method. Since when GDI + loads an image from a stream it automatically sets the file pointer to the beginning you have to create a stream that contains only the PNG file data. This task is performed by the CreatePngStream method in which the primary validation of PNG chunks occurs as well. Next, using GDI +, a Bitmap object is created from the data of the temporary stream. Further, a DIB section is created and the PNG pixel data in the PixelFormat32bppPARGB format is copied into it. This allows to display the image with the alpha channel using the AlphaBlend function and you can also access the GDI-compatible HBITMAP handle (Picture.Handle). Further, if the KeepOriginalFormat property is set to true the PNG stream is saved (this makes it easy to save the PNG file without recoding).

The second important method is Render. Everything is simple, there is a preparation of the coordinates for displaying the image in HIMETRIC units and drawing using AlphaBlend. Since the get_Attributes property returns PICTURE_TRANSPARENT the user (the picture owner) himself takes care of restoring the background behind the image before displaying the image.

The SaveAsFile method saves the image to a stream. It's all the same just the opposite. It is also worth noting that if the original format was used then the image data is taken from the saved PNG stream. Otherwise, a temporary GDI + bitmap is created from the pixels of the DIB section, the CLSID of the PNG codec is extracted, and the image is saved into a temporary stream. Next, from this stream, the data is copied to the destination stream.

The next group of the methods is the implementation of the IDispatch interface. Since the data of the IPicture type is stored in the standard library stdole2.tlb, the GetTypeInfo method loads this library and retrieves the required type interface via ITypeLib::GetTypeInfoOfGuid. The same applies to the GetIDsOfNames method, it simply translates the call to the standard ITypeInfo::GetIDsOfNames implementaion. The Invoke method is implemented directly with parameter checking.

In order to be able to statically link the library to a VB6 EXE file, it is necessary to initialize the C runtime by transfering the control to the mainCRTStartup function and then transfer the one to the ___vbaS symbol. For this purpose, the file gostartup.asm is intended which is written in FASM. For a EXE file, the following lines are executed:
    Code:
    _main:
    call Initialize
    jmp ___vbaS
    The C-runtime calls the main function and it in turn initializes the VbPng library. There is a problem with the old linker because of the bug or because something else the linker discards all the VB import from the resulting file when using the -OPT:REF option. This problem is solved simply by replacing the linker with a modern one.
    For a DLL, similar actions are performed, only in this case it is necessary to specify _VBDllMain as the entry point:
    Code:
    _VBDllMain:

push dword [esp + 12]
    push dword [esp + 12]
    push dword [esp + 12]

; // Init CRT
    call  __DllMainCRTStartup@12

; // Init runtime
    jmp ___vbaS
    In this case the initialization of the runtime is first called and then the DllMain ActiveX Dll function is called.

To facilitate work in the IDE an Add-in was written that automatically loads VbPng.dll in order to make it easier to work with projects. To disable the library you just need to disable the Add-in. There is a nuance, if there are active PNG images the Add-in will be unloaded, but VbPng is not and the warning message will appear. At any time, you can enable the Add-in, find the images, delete them, and re-disable the Add-in, then the DLL will be unloaded.

Some controls, for example ListView, won't display the alpha channel because they render themselves not by the Render method but through StretchBlt, for them the premultiplied background will be black. This should be kept in mind when working with the library. IPropertyNotifySink notifications are also not supported (you can implement it if you wish). Resources in FRX files and compiled files are also stored in the PNG format so projects won't open and work without the library. For comfortable work it is recommended to install the Add-in with automatic launching when loading the IDE.

The directory also contains several examples of work:
    • Test_EXE_Linked - demonstration of 32bpp PNG images in standard controls using static linking;
    • Test_EXE_Dll - is the same only with the dll usage;
    • Test_AXDll - ActiveX DLL library using PNG resources on the form;
    • Test_SavePng - is the example of saving an image using SavePicture.

The directory also contains the PNG files that I collected a long time ago using satellite grabbing.

The module was poorly tested so bugs are possible. I will be very glad to any comments as far as possible I will correct them.
    Thank you all for your attention, I hope the module will be useful to someone.

Project on GitHub.

The trick,

PowerPoster

Re: [VB6] PNG pictures in the standard controls.

Is OleLoadPicturePath also covered? Or is that function just a wrapper which loads a file to stream and depends also on ordinary OleLoadPicture?

PowerPoster

Oh ok. Because in my VBCCR I use OleCreatePictureIndirect and OleLoadPicturePath.
    Thus currently this would not be compatible.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by Krool View Post
    Oh ok. Because in my VBCCR I use OleCreatePictureIndirect and OleLoadPicturePath.
    Thus currently this would not be compatible.
    There isn't the problem to add such function too. Does VBCCR uses the IPicture::Render method to draw the pictures? The second question, if you use that function how you save the controls resources? I mean all the controls uses the IPersistStream(Init)::Load/Save to load/save the state of controls to a FRX file. This interface accepts an IStream object as the data provider/consumer.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by The trick View Post
    There isn't the problem to add such function too. Does VBCCR uses the IPicture::Render method to draw the pictures? The second question, if you use that function how you save the controls resources? I mean all the controls uses the IPersistStream(Init)::Load/Save to load/save the state of controls to a FRX file. This interface accepts an IStream object as the data provider/consumer.
    if the .Type is vbPicTypeIcon then DrawIconEx is used, else IPicture::Render.

The control resources are saved normally with the property bag. (so yes; IPersistStream)

You can certainly ignore OleCreatePictureIndirect. It's only used in VBCCR in conjunction with icons - LoadCursor() or ImageList_GetIcon() - so that's not a "png issue".

Including OleLoadPicturePath would be "nice" as that is used by my ImageList control.
    However, in worst case I may consider replacing that API with OleLoadPicture but that would mean to first load the file into a ByteStream.

But beside that, maybe other apps would benefit if you generally also cover OleLoadPicturePath?

PowerPoster

There is SHCreateStreamOnFileEx which makes the IStream based on a file.
    That would cost win2k support..
    Maybe you will cover OleLoadPicturePath soon or I use an alternative. (Wait and see)

Lively Member

Re: [VB6] PNG/ICO/ANI pictures in the standard controls.

Hey there The_trick,

I wanted to congratulate you on this amazing project. Native PNG support on VB6 has been sorely missing since the beginning so to have that functionality unlocked at last is a great boon to programmers everywhere still using this language that Microsoft sadly abandoned us with.

I do however have a few questions for you:

1. Your LoadPicture replacement method exposes Size, ColorDepth, X and Y as arguments in addition to File Path. However, the documentation in Github makes no mention of these parameters. Could you elaborate on how they should be used? I suspect they might be there exclusively for icon and cursor file support, but some clarification would be appreciated.

2. Is it in any way possible to specify a custom size while loading a PNG picture so that it gets automatically resized to the width and height of your choice? If not, could you perhaps implement this? It would be incredibly useful functionality to have baked right into LoadPicture. I know .Render exists, and can *sort* of do this, but it's a good deal more difficult to use and requires painting to an hDC instead of giving you an original resized source StdPicture.

3. Likewise, could you please include native support for animated GIF files by way of an optional Frame parameter? This would be a fantastic addition! I'm including in the attachments some custom code I wrote with VB6 that uses GDI+ to load and cache animated GIF frames that can be pulled and displayed one at a time in a way that you could easily adapt to achieve this. Honestly, I hardly expect you'd need this, because it's clear your knowledge far surpasses my own, and I'm sure you can do it way better than I could ever hope for, but I figured it would serve as a good reference for what I mean. I implemented it in such a way that you can retrieve one frame at a time with a single LoadPicture call as inspiration for how this could work with VBPng.

4. After a considerable amount of tweaking, I did finally get VbPNG to work with static linking native compilation. However the only way I could manage was by using the LINK.exe from Visual Studio 2010 as you suggested and then copying a bunch of .lib files to the project folder essentially, until it stopped throwing errors. I needed to copy kernel32.lib, MSImg32.lib, msvcprt.lib, oldnames.lib, UUid.lib and to make an additional copy of your supplied msvcrt_winxp.obj as msvcrt.lib for LINK.exe to stop throwing errors and actually work as intended. I'm glad I figured it out, but I found it strange that there was no mention of it in the documentation. Is this expected behavior or did I mess something up?

Again, thank you very very much for your work and assistance, and I hope this reaches your attention. It seemed like the best place to post about it.

Warm regards

~ LinkFX

Animated GIFs Test.zip

PowerPoster

Hello LinkFX!
    I'm very glad my project is useful for you.

1. Your LoadPicture replacement method exposes Size, ColorDepth, X and Y as arguments in addition to File Path. However, the documentation in Github makes no mention of these parameters. Could you elaborate on how they should be used? I suspect they might be there exclusively for icon and cursor file support, but some clarification would be appreciated.
    These parameters are the same as in OleLoadPictureEx function.

Is it in any way possible to specify a custom size while loading a PNG picture so that it gets automatically resized to the width and height of your choice? If not, could you perhaps implement this? It would be incredibly useful functionality to have baked right into LoadPicture. I know .Render exists, and can *sort* of do this, but it's a good deal more difficult to use and requires painting to an hDC instead of giving you an original resized source StdPicture.
    The sizes parameters are applicable only for icons/cursors. This is because an ICO/CUR file can contains several images with their different size and color depth. A PNG/JPG/BMP/GIF file doesn't contain such functionality so you can't use that.

3. Likewise, could you please include native support for animated GIF files by way of an optional Frame parameter? This would be a fantastic addition! I'm including in the attachments some custom code I wrote with VB6 that uses GDI+ to load and cache animated GIF frames that can be pulled and displayed one at a time in a way that you could easily adapt to achieve this. Honestly, I hardly expect you'd need this, because it's clear your knowledge far surpasses my own, and I'm sure you can do it way better than I could ever hope for, but I figured it would serve as a good reference for what I mean. I implemented it in such a way that you can retrieve one frame at a time with a single LoadPicture call as inspiration for how this could work with VBPng.
    Okay i'll consider such implementation. I think it's enough to implement an additional interface for GIF images and you can select a frame using such interface. You could know if a picture contains multiple frames through get_Attributes. Is it okay?

4. After a considerable amount of tweaking, I did finally get VbPNG to work with static linking native compilation. However the only way I could manage was by using the LINK.exe from Visual Studio 2010 as you suggested and then copying a bunch of .lib files to the project folder essentially, until it stopped throwing errors. I needed to copy kernel32.lib, MSImg32.lib, msvcprt.lib, oldnames.lib, UUid.lib and to make an additional copy of your supplied msvcrt_winxp.obj as msvcrt.lib for LINK.exe to stop throwing errors and actually work as intended. I'm glad I figured it out, but I found it strange that there was no mention of it in the documentation. Is this expected behavior or did I mess something up?
    It's quite strange because VBPng.lib contains all these libraries inside. You need only VBPng.lib and msvcrt_winxp.obj. Does Test_EXE_Linked project works if you don't add any additional libraries?

Lively Member

Hello LinkFX!
    I'm very glad my project is useful for you.

These parameters are the same as in OleLoadPictureEx function.
    Thank you for your prompt reply and the information on this!

The sizes parameters are applicable only for icons/cursors. This is because an ICO/CUR file can contains several images with their different size and color depth. A PNG/JPG/BMP/GIF file doesn't contain such functionality so you can't use that.
    Would it perhaps be possible to extend the LoadPicture function internally to handle dynamically scaling images? I assume you're intercepting the call and handling it yourself instead of simply passing it along to OleLoadPictureEx directly, so you could conceivably handle it differently if those parameters are specified and the source is an image rather than icon or cursor file? You could use GdipCreateBitmapFromScan0 like I do in the source I attached for scaling.

This would be perfect as it would give us an StdPicture of any given size scaled directly with GDI+ bicubic scaling instead of having to fallback onto .Render which seems to be limited to nearest neighbor.

Okay i'll consider such implementation. I think it's enough to implement an additional interface for GIF images and you can select a frame using such interface. You could know if a picture contains multiple frames through get_Attributes. Is it okay?
    That sounds fantastic, thank you very much for considering this! It ocurred to me it would also be very useful to have a property to retrieve the duration of the current frame additionally so you can then know how long to pause for before playing the next frame.

It's quite strange because VBPng.lib contains all these libraries inside. You need only VBPng.lib and msvcrt_winxp.obj. Does Test_EXE_Linked project works if you don't add any additional libraries?
    On my machine (Win 7 SP1 x64) attempting to compile that project fails with the same error. Only by adding all those library files do the errors cease. I'm using the Visual Studio 2010 LINK.EXE (MD5: D358960CB06C16476E89BD808A5E67FA) for reference.

Code:
    LINK : warning LNK4010: invalid subsystem version number 4.0; default subsystem version assumed
    LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'
    I also tried putting those libraries in a folder and adding that folder to the %PATH% environment variable but it seems LINK.exe ignores that sadly...
    Last edited by LinkFX; Apr 6th, 2020 at 06:50 AM.

PNGs are successfully loaded onto a Button or Option control. But what if I set the Enabled property to false? The image becomes all gray. Can something be done?

Lively Member

How about add "Mouse_Leave" and "Mouse_Hover" events to some hWnd-able controls in this DLL?

Can possible to work with SVG format or XAML format?

Thanks Anatoly for this amazing addition! Is there any downside or instability from using it?

Hi Trick,

I was going to take a look at this, and downloaded the entire ZIP from GitHub. However, Windows Defender reported a virus. I didn't explore to see which file the virus was in. Just wanted you to know.

Best Regards,
    Elroy
    Any software I post in these forums written by me is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, and permission is hereby granted, free of charge and without restriction, to any person obtaining a copy. To all, peace and happiness.

Lively Member

unable to download from github,

looks like a nice project, but i cant download it for some reason

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Good idea would be to disable windows Defender and try another. Virustotal is your best defence in this regard it will at least show you that it is a false positive, which it is.

We all know that VB6 programs are almost always flagged as potential viruses if they have certain elements in them. Not much Trick can do but we can submit FPs to our own a/v provider. That's probably the best approach.
    https://github.com/yereverluvinunclebert

Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.

By the power invested in me, all the threads I start are battle free zones - no arguing about the benefits of VB6 over .NET here please. Happiness must reign.