Thread: Nostalgia!

Frenzied Member

Nostalgia!

Just stumbled on this section. Having sold BASIC programs from 1978, and then moved to QuickBasic (magic) where it gave me a good living with many Tandy Model I, II and even III machines in Australia, I have many happy memories of this friendly language.
    Thanks all !

Frenzied Member

Re: Nostalgia!

Quote Originally Posted by el84 View Post
    Just stumbled on this section. Having sold BASIC programs from 1978, and then moved to QuickBasic (magic) where it gave me a good living with many Tandy Model I, II and even III machines in Australia, I have many happy memories of this friendly language.
    Heh, I learned how to program in QBasic 1.0 on a 80386 running MS-DOS 5.0 back in 1992/1993. This was before I learned that the internet/World Wide Web which was still in its early stages even existed. :-) While I prefer vb.net there's something to be for the simplicity of those early programming language's and the environment which you used to write your code.

Isn't topic more suited for Chit Chat btw? Perhaps you could upload a few of your old BASIC programs?

Frenzied Member

Hello Peter

I don't have any copies on the computer now (the computers they were on have been discarded a long time ago). I have some in hard copy (kept them for nostalgia's sake) but it would be very tedious to type them in, I think. Unless you have any ideas?
    Thanks all !

Frenzied Member

Hello Peter

I don't have any copies on the computer now (the computers they were on have been discarded a long time ago). I have some in hard copy (kept them for nostalgia's sake) but it would be very tedious to type them in, I think. Unless you have any ideas?
    No, what ideas should I have? Perhaps you could scan them with a program that supports OCR.

Frenzied Member

I'll look into that. To tell you the truth I'm rather proud of those programs. I taught myself and was quickly earning from their sale!
    Thanks all !

Frenzied Member

I'll look into that. To tell you the truth I'm rather proud of those programs. I taught myself and was quickly earning from their sale!
    Nice. :-) What sort of programs did you sell?

Frenzied Member

I was then an accountant. They were cashbook programs. Memory confuse. I don't think I have those now. But I do have an extensive claims handling suite. Apols if delay in replying. Working right now (I work form home on line).
    Thanks all !

Frenzied Member

I was then an accountant. They were cashbook programs. Memory confuse. I don't think I have those now. But I do have an extensive claims handling suite. Apols if delay in replying. Working right now (I work form home on line).
    I tried to write a program for the candy/refreshments shop at my highschool back when I was around 16 years. I don't think it ever got into serious use for very long. :-) I have made improvements while sticking to the program's original intent and design long after I left school.

You can find it in this post's attachment. There are probably loads of things that I could or should have done differently when creating an accounting program. Oh well... The attached code should work in Qbasic 1.x/Quick Basic 4.5/Quick Basic 7.1/Visual Basic for MS-DOS 1.0/Power Basic and Turbo Basic.

EDIT:
    Turbo Basic doesn't appear to work unless some changes are made to the code...
    Last edited by Peter Swinkels; Jan 19th, 2019 at 05:14 AM.