Thread: How to send instructions to an instance of my application?

Fanatic Member

How to send instructions to an instance of my application?

Hi all,

I built a CAD application in VB.NET. I takes into consideration the commandLineArgs, so when a user double-clicks on a file saved with my application, it starts my app and opens the said file. (In the same way Word automatically starts and open a .DOC file when you double-click on it...)

Now the issue I have is when the user double-clicks on a file while my app is already running. I do not want a second instance of my application to run, but rather have the already running instance of my app open the file the user double-clicked on. And I don't know how to do that!

The first thing my application does when its starts is to verify if another instance of itself is already running. If so, it simply closes after displaying a message to the user (that he/she can't run my app twice at once...) I guess my best bet is to figure out how to send a message from the new instance of my app to the already running one before closing itself...

Can anybody guide me towards a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Alain
    Don't ask why, just reboot!

Re: How to send instructions to an instance of my application?

In the Project Properties, tick the "Single Instance" option. This automatically ensures there is only one instance.

To handle the command line when a new instance would start, use the StartupNextInstance event:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ramework-4.7.2
    (to add this event to your project, in Project Properties click on View Application Events)

Fanatic Member

Thanks, but for this one must enable application framework, and it is not my case (my app starts from a 'Sub Main', and not a form...)

Any other suggestion?

Fanatic Member

Thanks, but for this one must enable application framework, and it is not my case (my app starts from a 'Sub Main', and not a form...)

Any other suggestion?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...unning-process

this contains the right answer with the 50 bounty accepted in the bottom you create one of those object passers and pass your document like that to previous running instance of the same program by program process Id

Fanatic Member

Cool, thanks!

I'll check this out and report back. That said, re-evaluating the current architecture of my app to switch to a more 'standard' application that has a startup form is also an option!

Thanks again!

Lively Member

Hi,

You could use this method. If a user double clicks a file that was saved with your application, a new instance will run and open the file and the previous instance will be closed. Use it if you don't mind this behavior of course.

Code:
            Dim ArgsExist As Integer = Environment.GetCommandLineArgs().Length
            If ArgsExist > 1 Then
                Dim CurrentProcess As System.Diagnostics.Process = System.Diagnostics.Process.GetCurrentProcess()
                Dim CurrentProcessName As String = My.Application.Info.AssemblyName
                For Each PreviousProcess As Process In Process.GetProcesses
                    If LCase(CurrentProcessName) = LCase(PreviousProcess.ProcessName) And CurrentProcess.Id <> PreviousProcess.Id Then
                        PreviousProcess.Kill()
                    End If
                Next PreviousProcess
             Else
                 'Put your current double instance verifying code here
            End If
    Hope that helps

Fanatic Member

Thanks, but that wouldn't work. I don't want to close the first instance of my app for simlar reasons we wouldn't want a Word document to close itself automatically (without saving on top of it!) when you open a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Alain View Post
    Is there a good reason for that? It's quite possible that what you are doing in that Main method can still be done with the Application Framework enabled. Then again, maybe not.