Thread: vb6 encapsulated inside Android app Apk

Lively Member

vb6 encapsulated inside Android app Apk

Hi, is possible encapsulate exe vb6 (pure vb6 code that does not use dlls or apis) nside a Android app apk?
    and runs fine this apk on Android?
    links for examples?
    thanks!

edit: (pure vb6 code that does not use dlls or apis)
    Last edited by xman2000; Dec 21st, 2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: (pure vb6 coe that does not use dlls or apis)

PowerPoster

Re: vb6 encapsulated inside Android app Apk

basically no. not in any practical way. doubly impossible on ARM.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by DEXWERX View Post
    basically no. not in any practical way. doubly impossible on ARM.
    Why Technically ? Explain?

i edited the thread questions : edit: (pure vb6 code that does not use dlls or apis)
    Last edited by xman2000; Dec 21st, 2018 at 09:05 AM. Reason: i edited the thread questions : edit: (pure vb6 code that does not use dlls or apis)

PowerPoster

1) you need an OS to run VB6 on... something like WINE(linux) or Windows.
    2) you need to run this OS _and_ your VB6 app on Android as an App through a VM, so you need a VM on android.
    3) you need the VM to also emulate X86 if its running on an ARM cpu.

PowerPoster

Here's something to get you started though.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/run-w...oid-with-wine/

edit:
    the original question was how do you get a VB6 EXE and it's DLLs running as an APK on android.

WINE can run on android x86 now... and apparently they are attempting to get QEMU emulating X86 on ARM. So that is a (future) path to where you're trying to go.

Let's say they solve the x86 emulation layer, and get WINE running X86 on ARM. Now how do you get all that into an APK, with the execution rights needed for a VM. That can be your challenge.

and if you need help with that part - you can ask these people --> https://limboemulator.weebly.com/

So now hypothetically you've got an APK running QEMU X86 on ARM, with some OS compatibility either Windows or Linux WINE, or android WINE, and it's emulating your VB6 app.

I bet in another decade, the android CPUs will be fast enough any of the apps performance to be acceptable.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Dec 21st, 2018 at 09:40 AM.

Lively Member

Dexwerx, thanks!
    ''----------------------------------------------
    What can you run on Wine?
    Wine is only a compatibility layer, not a full-blown emulator, so you need an x86 Android device to take full advantage of it. However, most Androids in the hands of consumers are ARM-based.

Since most of you are using an ARM-based Android device, you will only be able to use Wine to run apps that have been adapted to run on Windows RT.
    ------------------------------------------------------------''

then, if i adapt the source-code of EXE (include or modify some lines of code), i can adapt?

but emulators-like turn the OS slow, or not works in slow devices, slow mobile phones, i want not uses emulators or only a tiny emulator-like encapsulating the exe file,

or an apk (the apk can be a emulator ?) encapsulating the exe vb6 file.

if i adpat the exe to run in windowsRT and create a emulator Wine-like to encapsulate the exe is possible?

PowerPoster

You can't target anything but X86 using VB6.

let's put it this way - you could write a VB6 interpreter, that will be more performant and in less time than it would be to develop an emulation layer capable of running a VB6 exe as an APK.

PowerPoster

If you want to write apps to run under android you need to forget about using VB6 and move to something that is designed to work with Android instead. You may want to look at B4A they give a free trial and the cost to buy it is not much. It is fairly easy to use if you are an experienced VB or VB.Net person.

Lively Member

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    If you want to write apps to run under android you need to forget about using VB6 and move to something that is designed to work with Android instead. You may want to look at B4A they give a free trial and the cost to buy it is not much. It is fairly easy to use if you are an experienced VB or VB.Net person.

yes, DataMiser, i download, i search today about alternatives, but i want understand technical details about if possible or not possible encapsulate exe or if create some app to run the exe file without big modifications in source-code of original pure vb6 exe.

Hi, Dexwerx, you can explain the vb6 interpreter in your mind?

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xman2000 View Post
    Hi, Dexwerx, you can explain the vb6 interpreter in your mind?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interpreter_(computing)
    https://tomassetti.me/difference-bet...r-interpreter/

Lively Member

Dexwerx,

you know some interpreter to vb6 open-source?
    i found this to vba
    https://github.com/decalage2/ViperMonkey

i need only 1one interpreter to use to all exes apps vb6 or i need create individual interpreters to each exe?

I understand i need create a package to encapsulate the exe but i need create or use only 1 interpreter?

what the result of interpreter? some different extension file format ?

if i create only 1 interpreter i can make easy adapt each exe to run in other OS?

what steps i will make of use the interpreter and to run the exe in other OS ?
    Last edited by xman2000; Dec 21st, 2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: what the result of interpreter? some different extension file format ?

Frenzied Member

It could be worth you looking at B4A (Basic for Android) and NS Basic (basic for hybrid mobile apps).

Not 'pure' VB6 but close.

You can often copy and paste VB6 code into them.

Neither are free, but both have free trials.

PowerPoster

One thing to keep in mind is VB6 is designed to create apps using Windows Forms. These do not exist on Android devices so even if you could get a VB6 program to run on one the entire interface would have to be completely different.

PowerPoster

I really can't help beyond pointing you in the right direction, which - the other posters in this thread have pointed you in the best direction.

You're primary goal: You're looking for an easy way to leverage what you already know (VB6) - to get an app running on Android.

The problem with the solution you're entertaining in this thread: is that it's literally the hardest possible solution, that would take you decades of study before contributing to moving that goal forward. Maybe it would be easy if someone had already done the work to make it happen, but they haven't. The solutions don't yet exist.

So I say you can either: learn how to write an Operating System, An Emulator, a Virtual Machine, a Compiler, and interpreter. (University)

Or you can just try B4A, and get an app running in an afternoon.
    Last edited by DEXWERX; Dec 21st, 2018 at 01:12 PM.

Lively Member

Dexwrx,

yes, time is money and life, but if i found in the web this tools open-source and modify ?
    what this tools i need ? only the interpreter ? or i need the compiler to make the exe compatible?

what the programming languague need the source-code of this tools, interpreter and compiler ?
    and this tool ViperMonkey?

https://github.com/decalage2/ViperMonkey

i can use paid tools now, but now i learn about the technical obstacles to learn how to avoid and try find along the time open-source tool i can use or modify.

Dexwrx,
    "You're primary goal: You're looking for an easy way to leverage what you already know (VB6) - to get an app running on Android."

not easy, but fast to modify, not a lot of works, not lot of time, not like a evil genius or very slow to run like many emulators, or need install others apps into the smartphone of people, only put the apk and run.
    Last edited by xman2000; Dec 21st, 2018 at 03:13 PM.

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by xman2000 View Post
    ...fast to modify, not a lot of works, not lot of time, ...
    ...or need install others apps into the smartphone of people, ...
    ...only put the apk and run.
    Well - since basically each modern mobile-device these days is "online"
    (at home usually via WLAN) - the easiest way - without the need to install anything (not even an apk)
    would be to write your App as a WebApp.

And yes - this requires an x86-driven server-machine (a host which is "online somewhere" ... either in your home - or in the internet) -
    but you can then write basically all your Code in VB6 - as serverside code which runs on that "host-machine".

Why nobody brought that up so far is beyond me.
    I've been using this approach for years, most mobile-devices (even WinCE-devices 10 years ago) came with a preinstalled Browser.

That's as platform- and device-independent as it gets.

Another question I'd like to ask is - what kind of "my own Apps" do we talk about here?
    Could you post a "midsized, typical one" in an uploaded Zip somehow?

And as for "small portable devices, which can run Win10 - and also for example "a VB6-IDE" -
    why not use one of those little 8" Win10 tablets, which are still offered on amazon and elsewhere for about 100 bucks?
    (these usually come with a small HDMI-port, able to hook-up to a large TFT-Screen).

Olaf

Lively Member

Hi Schmidt, thanks for all sugestions and explanations!

i am only can create exe in Ms VB6 editor, or not-exe under MsOffice (Excel, Access, Powerpoint, Word).

i am a hobbyst but can understand an modify complex codes in VB6 and VBA, and other few things into others languages.

i am translanting of VB6 to others vb-like programming languages and of others to VB6 or vb.net.
    i uses Win7, win10, and win8 touch.
    i have some gadgets and i will make many advanced projects.

i not a noob but not a professional programmer, but i wil be, not to make money, but to make projects.

yes, Windows tablet are good but big, i need a WindowsPhone or WindowsContinuum, like 5'' or small, but i want tablets too.

"VB6-need-a-New-WindowsPhone ?"
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...97#post5343497

Schimidt, you want know if i know make a software into vb6? yes, i can.
    but most times i get open-source and modify to make the prototypes of my desired apps of persnal use.

In the future i will create my own apps with more eficient methods and my own codes i have or free-to-use.

like, i learn about GDi, after GdiPlus, after Lockbits, after binary, etc, i can scan a picture an plot only the lines, i can change the color, apply effects, modify and create effects, but some things in the code of the other people i have a lot of time to understand, and search in the web to learn.

i am spent many years looking for individual codes to understand i need a source-code of a library (i not use dlls in my projects, pure code or apis) .

today few things missing for my project. After, i will study and learn to be a professional.

My idea of encapsulate the exe into app apk to Android is like MsAccess and MsExcel programmers encapsulate the files into InnoSetup (included MsAccessRuntime)

and others solutions to put the files into exe to run the MsAccess and Excel without MsOffice (into Windows for Pc only not mobile)

"VB6-need-a-New-WindowsPhone ?"
    http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.p...97#post5343497

edit; i want Not, not use internet or web host connection to use the app, i want install the app or only put the app into the Smartphone and create the shortcut to the app and run at shortcut.

edit: i need stop today, good night !
    Last edited by xman2000; Dec 21st, 2018 at 06:51 PM.