Thread: which type of DB in host is better

Question which type of DB in host is better

hello

using from SQLite DB is better than Sqlserver DB or not?

thanks

Re: which type of DB in host is better

That's like asking which is better, a hammer or a screwdriver... while both are tools (databases) they both fill different needs/purposes... there's somethings SQLite will be better at that SQL Server isn't at, and other things that SQL Server will be better at that SQLite won't be... so you're asking the wrong question in my opinion. What you should be doing is looking at your needs and then researching the capabilities of both, and then determining which one will better serve your needs.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

tg is completely correct but, given that this question has been posted in the Mobile Development forum, I will add one comment that may aid you in evaluating your needs and the capabilities of those databases. SQL Server is a service-based database system, which means a server must be installed with all the overhead that comes with that. If you want a database on a mobile device itself then SQL Server is not an option, but if your mobile app is going to connect to a web service then the power and flexibility of a full-scale RDBMS like SQL Server on the host server is likely to be advantageous. SQLite is a file-based system that is relatively powerful but can't do all that SQL Server can, but it can run with a fairly small footprint on a mobile OS. It's basically just a data file and a DLL.

PowerPoster

Actually, SQL Server is an option on a mobile device. I have used it in a few apps myself.
    More accurately I have used the Mobile edition of SQL Server [SQL Server CE] with several Windows CE and Windows Mobile apps.

The last units I worked with though had some issue with the SQL Server CE that made it difficult to get working, Apparently the later CE devices have a different version of the mobile files than what gets installed as part of Visual Studio and I had to jump through hoops to get it to work on the end users device.

For that reason I would use SQL Lite instead. Assuming of course it is to be on a mobile device
    Last edited by DataMiser; Jan 23rd, 2019 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DataMiser View Post
    Actually, SQL Server is an option on a mobile device. I have used it in a few apps myself.
    More accurately I have used the Mobile edition of SQL Server [SQL Server CE] with several Windows CE and Windows Mobile apps.
    That's quite misleading because, while SQL Server CE has "SQL Server" in the name, it's a completely different product. When people talk about SQL Server, they're not talking about SQL Server CE. SQL Server CE was file-based, just like SQLite. Microsoft stopped development of SQL Server CE some years ago and now recommend SQLite for use where a file-based database is required. That's the actual reason you should use SQLite.