Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

Hyperactive Member

Re: No troll. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6 ?

Quote Originally Posted by yereverluvinuncleber View Post
    Actually, it is old software on new hardware, relatively speaking and that is why it is fast.

Nobody complains when you put a V8 in an MG - it just goes faster - and that's the point isn't it?
    perhaps i should have said "really old software runs fast on somewhat old hardware"
    Last edited by DllHell; Sep 13th, 2019 at 02:48 PM.

Addicted Member

Suspicion and paranoia go hand in hand. They ARE out to get you.
    Ms damage control alert. All hands on deck.

Suspicion and paranoia go hand in hand. They ARE out to get you.
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get me.
    My usual boring signature: Nothing

Quote Originally Posted by johnywalker View Post
    Word requires subscription !
    That's true...ish, I think. I assume that's Office 365, of which I have no first hand knowledge. The reason I have no first hand knowledge is that Libre Office is an open source project that can replace almost all of Office (not Access, as far as I know, though I haven't looked).

I understand the concept behind the subscription system for Office 365. While I don't like it, I do understand it. I'm not going to explain it here, though, because my views on this would be one of those lengthy posts that nobody really wants to read.

Addicted Member

Another thing vb.net does and makes you want to murder everybody is this:
    When you write a line of code it takes whatever looks similar from above and completes the line for you.
    You may of course not want this, you want to write something else, but there it is, you have to press delete-delete-delete every time.
    In this way it takes you one year to write ten lines.

PowerPoster yereverluvinuncleber's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Hiker View Post
    Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that they are NOT out to get me.
    The first step is to determine whether you are actually paranoid or not. That is important.

The second step is to come to the realisation that you are using very, very old software.

Regardless of the two above they may still be coming to get you (they tried to get me but I hid).

When you write a line of code it takes whatever looks similar from above and completes the line for you.
    You may of course not want this, you want to write something else, but there it is, you have to press delete-delete-delete every time.
    What version of the IDE are you using that does that? I've never seen that happen... The only one I haven't had the chance to use has been VS2019. But I've used pretty much all others, and have never ever seen that happen. Closest I've seen is intellisense, but that just does auto complete words and maybe some method signatures, but never entire code lines and never previous lines.

Perhaps you've got some plugin that's being too helpful.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Hyperactive Member

That's true...ish, I think.
    You can still purchase office
    https://products.office.com/en-us/ge...#compare_table

Hyperactive Member

This is something that can be turned off if you don't like it

You can also buy office if you don't want to lease it (https://products.office.com/en-us/ge...#compare_table)

because my views on this would be one of those lengthy posts that nobody really wants to read.
    Too late
    Please remember next time...elections matter!

I've seen that in Excel, but never in .NET. I agree that it would be pretty annoying if it did that, it just doesn't do that for me, nor has it ever. I've used 2003, 2005, 2008, 2010 (extensively), 2012, 2013, 2015 (a fair amount), and 2017(extensively), so if it did that in 2002, they removed it. On the other hand DllHell seems to know what you are referencing.

What are the (legitimate) reasons why people are still using VB6?

Have we reached any conclusions yet? Although I am a mere mortal among the VbForums Titans, but I want to say that this site is a vb language paradigm, and what you write here is of great relevance.

We focus on the focus of the title. I look forward to seeing the result of the opinions. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6.

Very very very thanks ...

Addicted Member

Quote Originally Posted by Episcopal View Post
    What are the (legitimate) reasons why people are still using VB6?

Have we reached any conclusions yet? Although I am a mere mortal among the VbForums Titans, but I want to say that this site is a vb language paradigm, and what you write here is of great relevance.

We focus on the focus of the title. I look forward to seeing the result of the opinions. What are the (legitimate) reasons people are still using VB6.

Very very very thanks ...

No control arrrays.
    MS should wipe the slate clean and release an enhanced edition of vb6.

No control arrrays.
    Go on finish that sentence properly... "... at design time" ... seriously... thats' what this is all about when people civitch about the lack of control arrays... it's the lack of deisgn time support for them. Which is only half of it. Because you can easily create an aray of controls, just like any thing else. It just takes some effort. But as VB developers, we've gotten lazy and used to the IDE doing it for us. And so no that the IDE doesn't, we get all whiney. So if the lack of a built-in control array is your only reason for sticking with VB6 perhaps you should pull up your big boy programer undies and learn a couple new tricks.

As for releasing a new "updated" version of VB6. MS is never going to do that. I they were, they would have done it years ago, when the voices were loudest. They didn't then, they aren't going to do it now. No amount of petitions are ever going to change that. It's going to take a community effort to get it done... and even that is having trouble getting any kind of serious traction going. Just look at the threads in our own forums for that evidence. If there is ever a singular place where there is going to be a serous place where VB6 could be revived and moved ot the next place, it would be here... and yet... here we are.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to get much better than it is at the moment. You've got VB6 running on Win10. the RichClient library from Olaf, Krool's custom controls, and a couple of other pretty cool things out there. And a pretty hard core community at this point. To be perfectly one of two things will happen - VB6 as it is will become a cockroach language and keep on living, despite the harsh environments, it will keep going. Even after MS finds a way to mAke it so that the IDE "stops working" .... people will find a way to make shims or something to keep it going, or will develop a new IDE/compiler/run-time to keep it alive. I just don't see it happening right now.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Quote Originally Posted by techgnome View Post
    . If there is ever a singular place where there is going to be a serous place where VB6 could be revived and moved to the next place, it would be here... and yet... here we are.
    Yup... but we must be positive and we have RadBasic and PrimeDivine's possible offerings and a new way forward.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to get much better than it is at the moment.
    It might!

a cockroach language
    I love that.

There are many ways forward, it all depends on what is an acceptable way forwards. Lots of people are sticking with VB6 because they have large code bases in VB6 and don't want to re-write. For such people, a way forward is only viable if it doesn't involve a re-write, which means that the language has to load and run VB6 files. As far as I know, there currently is no viable way forward for people in that situation. Those alternatives are just wishful thinking.

On the other hand, if you don't care about carrying forward existing source code without changes, then you have any number of alternatives. Once again, which ones are viable to you depends on what you find to be acceptable. Most people are probably in this camp, as most people have moved to other languages, whether .NET, Java, Python, JavaScript, or whatever else interested them. The options are too numerous to list, these days, which likely makes the decision far worse, rather than any better.

Alternatively, don't move on. VB6 still runs. It doesn't have to forever, it just has to for as long as you care. That's one of the things about change. In computers, it's sure to happen, it just doesn't have to end up mattering to you. If you're going to retire in a couple years, there's no reason to move to anything.

Addicted Member

Go on finish that sentence properly... "... at design time" ... seriously... thats' what this is all about when people civitch about the lack of control arrays... it's the lack of deisgn time support for them. Which is only half of it. Because you can easily create an aray of controls, just like any thing else. It just takes some effort. But as VB developers, we've gotten lazy and used to the IDE doing it for us. And so no that the IDE doesn't, we get all whiney. So if the lack of a built-in control array is your only reason for sticking with VB6 perhaps you should pull up your big boy programer undies and learn a couple new tricks.

As for releasing a new "updated" version of VB6. MS is never going to do that. I they were, they would have done it years ago, when the voices were loudest. They didn't then, they aren't going to do it now. No amount of petitions are ever going to change that. It's going to take a community effort to get it done... and even that is having trouble getting any kind of serious traction going. Just look at the threads in our own forums for that evidence. If there is ever a singular place where there is going to be a serous place where VB6 could be revived and moved ot the next place, it would be here... and yet... here we are.

Honestly, I don't think it's going to get much better than it is at the moment. You've got VB6 running on Win10. the RichClient library from Olaf, Krool's custom controls, and a couple of other pretty cool things out there. And a pretty hard core community at this point. To be perfectly one of two things will happen - VB6 as it is will become a cockroach language and keep on living, despite the harsh environments, it will keep going. Even after MS finds a way to mAke it so that the IDE "stops working" .... people will find a way to make shims or something to keep it going, or will develop a new IDE/compiler/run-time to keep it alive. I just don't see it happening right now.

-tg
    Don't Trump me.

Yeah, I thought something similar, but he does have a point. Control arrays aren't really an issue. There are actually more options in .NET than there were in VB6 in this regard, but what is missing is the ability to make control arrays in the designer. That was probably removed for the reasons I stated before. Control arrays are there so that one handler can handle events from several controls. That features is NOT missing from the .NET designer, so MS probably figured they had covered control arrays. However, since people appear to have been using control arrays for other purposes (which are also possible in .NET, just can't be done in the designer), the solution they had in the designer made it look like control arrays had gone away. They haven't, though. It's just that the way you set them up has changed.

Still though, I hear what the man was saying. Controls arrays in the designer are very useful (and therefore GOOD) design time element. As everything today is WYSIWYG then having to create the same control in code is a retrograde step. That is PRECISELY what a GUI IDE is for.

It is great creating controls dynamically but if there was once another way and it was better - then the removal of that feature is not an improvement and cannot be argued away cleverly. I suppose we could just do away with the IDE altogether, forget all the control elements and start to handcraft all our buttons, sliders and treeviews ourselves just like we used to - but things have come on since those days, haven't they?

Controls are still created in the designer (though they don't have to be). Hooking multiple controls to the same event handler is still in the designer (though they don't have to be). What is not in the designer is creating a control array for any reason other than hooking one event handler to multiple events. For that, it depends on why you want them in a collection. After all, they are already in a collection already, so it may be that no action need be taken of any sort. Or perhaps that collection isn't suitable for one reason or another, in which case you can create your own collection with a single line (though it would be ever so slightly more efficient to do so using more than one line).

In other words, creating control arrays in the designer was intended to solve one problem, which is still solved in the designer, but was used for other purposes by people. It could only server one such other purpose, and now there are several. You may already have your needs met (put the controls on a panel or in a groupbox, and you already have your control array built for you), or you may not, in which case you have a variety of simple solutions to meet your specific needs.

It's not that you can't achieve the same ends. In fact, depending on the specific objective, you might have what you want without doing anything at all. What has changed is the means to achieve that end, and it was changed to make it more versatile. So, the real complaint is that somebody moved the cheese.

An obscure body in the SK system. The inhabitants call it Earth

Where's the cheese?

Scone.

Sorry
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill

Hadoop actually sounds more like the way they greet each other in Yorkshire - Inferrd

Hyperactive Member

So, the real complaint is that somebody moved the cheese.
    careful, you don't want to rile up the .not group

Quote Originally Posted by DllHell View Post
    careful, you don't want to rile up the .not group
    I think we can all agree we like cheese. Having said that, we have better cheese here.

I am .not in the .net .not group, well .not .yet.

I aim to be in the .net group, just .not .now.

Hyperactive Member

I think we can all agree we like cheese. Having said that, we have better cheese here.
    It would be a sad life if you restricted yourself to only one type of cheese

PowerPoster

Last edited by jpbro; Sep 24th, 2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Forgot I could embed videos Thanks Uncle Ber ;)

PowerPoster

The whole thread could probably be summed up with this statement as well! Maybe we're onto something with the whole cheese thing...

I knew what that had to link to before looking, but it's a good one.

This one is just as appropriate:

PowerPoster

Quote Originally Posted by wqweto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmidt View Post
    This will never happen, because they only dump stuff which is no longer relevant in terms of revenue.
    VBA is still one of the most important parts of the MS-Office-Cash-Cow...
    Why would they ship c2.exe with office?

Anyway, I though office was moving to "normal" languages like Python and JS. . .

cheers,
    </wqw>
    I saw this comment while searching for information. I'm thinking about a question:

If one day, all MS Office components are developed with JS, does that mean Windows (including VB6) is about to die? Because the browser will be OS.

The Idiot

to kill vb6 they need to reform the entire OS, and that means a new OS created from scratch.
    I think microsoft did say windows 10 will be the last, or at least for a long time.
    vb6 will keep working for a long time.
    and, in 20-30 years, if this new OS would appear, im sure we will find workaround,
    like they do with WineHQ.

PowerPoster

If all MS Office components can be developed with JS, it means that the OS can also be developed with JS, and mean that the browser has become an OS.

So, what does the browser run on? Right now, the browser does run on something. It could become an OS such that the OS simply produced the host for JS, but there certainly doesn't appear to be any advantage to doing so.

PowerPoster

If the browser becomes an OS, then it will run directly on the hardware (the browser will have BIOS boot features) or it will be solidified in the hardware.

The browser as an OS isn't likely to work very well... even Google has pulled the plug on Chrome Apps...

-tg

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112