Thread: Cannot change data location of report at runtime in cryatal reports 4.6

Addicted Member

Cannot change data location of report at runtime in cryatal reports 4.6

Hi
    I'm using VB6 and the version of crystal reports that comes with it, version 4.6.
    At runtime, setting the connection property of the crystal reports control has no effect, it doesn't even give an error.
    At runtime, setting the datasource of the crystal reports control to an ado recordset gives the runtime error 13 (type mismatch).

The data is in a postgres database.
    As part of creating the report in crystal reports I needed to supply an ODBC data source, so I created one on my machine via the "control panel -> administrative tools -> 32 bit odbc data source".
    The report I then created works fine from vb6 on my local machine but I need to be able to change it for use elsewhere, but the two methods I tried above aren't working.
    The only solution I can think of is to (1) create a temporary mdb database and designing the report to work with that and (2) on every machine creating an mdb in the same relative location before running the report.
    However I'd like to know if there is a better way.

I realise that this is a very old version of crystal reports and I'd be happy to buy a newer version. What's the latest version that works with VB6?
    Or would it be better to buy the newest version and use interop with .net?

I've only just started using crystal reports and I'm a bit clueless about it.
    Thank you for any help you can provide.
    Last edited by vbrad; Dec 6th, 2018 at 03:31 AM.