Thread: [RESOLVED] XP cannot see on-board network adapter

Fanatic Member

Resolved [RESOLVED] XP cannot see on-board network adapter

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and the Motherboard has an on-board ethernet connection. The name of this adapter is Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection (if that helps any). When I run XP and connect my modem/router to this port XP cannot access the Internet. It does not even show up in Device Manager. However, if I plug in a PCI Internet board and use this instead of the on-board adapter I can get email but I cannot connect to any web site.

Any ideas what is going on?

Re: XP cannot see on-board network adapter

Has XP just been installed on this computer? Have you downloaded and installed the device driver(s) from Dell's web site?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Fanatic Member

Yes, I just installed XP. No, I have not visited Dell's web site since I cannot connect to any web sites. I can only get email. Is it possible to use the PC I am on now (This PC is not the Dell) and if I find the driver download it to an external drive then copy it over to the Dell PC.

PowerPoster

You will definitely need to do something like that. You'll probably need to download drivers for other devices as well (sound, graphics, etc.) since it is unlikely that the best drivers for those devices will have come packaged with XP.

Here is the Dell Driver download page for the Dimension 4600. Good luck.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us...n-4600/drivers

PowerPoster

Out of curiosity why would you install a 17yr old OS on a machine. Why put yourself through these headaches?

Fanatic Member

No luck so far. I went to Dell (used link from post 4), typed in the name of the driver but Dell replies with no drivers found. So then I went to Intel and found a download for this driver which they said would support XP. I downloaded the package onto an external drive using another PC then booted up XP on the Dell PC and installed the driver but I can't get it to work. The downloaded file contains the following files:

e100b325.sys, e100ent.sys, e100exp.inf, e100exp.sld.

The driver (e100b325.sys) is in the system32\Drivers folder. When I look at Device Manager it now shows that device but it has a ? on top of it.

Maybe I have the wrong driver name

PowerPoster

Don't use the Intel driver, for Dell PC's you almost always want to use the driver directly from Dell.

This should be what you need:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us...dimension-4600

That's as much help as I can give, good luck.

Fanatic Member

Thank you Option, your link was the answer.