Thread: How to using like operator and wildcard with Mysql ?

Addicted Member

How to using like operator and wildcard with Mysql ?

Hello everyone,
    good day,

i use this code to search in access database and work good

Code:
    RS.Open "select * from Table1 where Name and Code like '" & Trim(Text1.Text) & "%'", DB, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic

Do Until RS.EOF
        Grid1.AddItem RS!Paccode & vbTab & RS!Name
        RS.MoveNext
    Loop
    but if i use this code with mysql database don't show the data, i can't search more than one fields

so when code only like this work fine with Mysql database

Code:
    RS.Open "select * from Table1 where Name like '" & Trim(Text1.Text) & "%'", DB, adOpenStatic, adLockOptimistic
    how i using like operator and wildcard together ?

waiting for help

Best Regards

Re: How to using like operator and wildcard with Mysql ?

SQL isn't like English... it doesn't understand what you mean by "where Name and Code Like...." so you have to be specific ....
    "where Name like 'something%' and Code like 'Something%' "

Yes... that means if you want to more than two fields, you have to do that for each and every field...

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

Thank you for your replay

i try to edit the code to be specific but not working and show error

i need to search in mysql when i typing in Textbox like make filter data

waiting for help

well, unfortunately my crystal ball is in the shop being fixed, and I'm not sitting in your lap, so I don't see what you're seeing, so I have no idea what error you're getting.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *

Addicted Member

i just need help to edit this code to work with mysql and filter data when i typing in textbox

i try to edit code but not working so could you please edit this code to work fine

waiting for help

Best Regards

Frenzied Member

He already showed you what you needed to do, but you still have not shown the code you supposedly modified using his recommendation. I am surprised the code you showed at the top of the first post worked in Access. Correct SQL syntax would be like TG said
    Code:
    SELECT * FROM Table1 WHERE Name LIKE 'somepartialstring%' AND Code LIKE 'anotherpartialstring%';
    This works perfectly fine in MySQL 5.6.35.

Frenzied Member

Quote Originally Posted by topshot
    I am surprised the code you showed at the top of the first post worked in Access.
    yes,it works in MSaccess, provided you tell MSaccess to use SQL-92
    (SQL-92 is an option since MSaccess 2003, if i remember correctly)
    but i am almost 100% sure it will not return what vbgedo thinks it will return
    vbgedo, try leaving the Name field blank in a few records
    do not put off till tomorrow what you can put off forever