Thread: Entity relationship diagrams

Question Entity relationship diagrams

Hi everyone, long time no see

I am working on a small project which consists of making a system for a leisure center using visual basic. At the moment i am working towards my investigation and design, i am little bit stuck and need some advice from anyone of you who know a little bit about Entity relationship diagrams.

In the project i am working on i am have to design and build a system which could allow sports hall, personal trainer, different type of classes e.g dance classes bookings. A member can sign in after he registers with the centre and start booking different type of facilities. Moreover, the there are many people working in the centre, like receptionists, class instructors and personal trainers.

I have design an ERD for this. I just need know if i am correct or need some modifications in my design.

Name:  ERD.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  7.9 KB

Have small brief:

• A member can have many PT sessins and class bookings
    • A member can also have many Sports hall bookings
    • One personal trainer can be booked more than once
    • A class instructor can be booked more than once

So what do you think? Am I missing something here or is everything fine?

Cheers

Re: Entity relationship diagrams

I'll be honest... something doesn't feel right about it... but I don't know that I can pin point or articulate what it is. Call it gut instinct.
    Actually, I think what I'd do is reduce the number of entities...
    Member, Booking, Staff ... Member and Staff should be self-evident as to what they are. Booking then would have a Type that would indicate if it's a Class, PT, or Sports Hall .... All bookings should be pretty much the same, they are going to have a title, a start time, end time, 0 or more instructors, and 1 or more members, and maybe a few more bits of information.
    Be careful how you actually build your classes though... don't build them in a way that will allow for endless chaining... where you go Member.Bookings(0).Members(0).Bookings(1).Staff(0).Bookings(0)..... and so on... I've seen it done and it will create rabbit holes you really don't want to follow.

-tg
    * I don't respond to private (PM) requests for help. It's not conducive to the general learning of others.*
    * I also don't respond to friend requests. Save a few bits and don't bother. I'll just end up rejecting anyways.*
    * How to get EFFECTIVE help: The Hitchhiker's Guide to Getting Help at VBF - Removing eels from your hovercraft *
    * How to Use Parameters * Create Disconnected ADO Recordset Clones * Set your VB6 ActiveX Compatibility * Get rid of those pesky VB Line Numbers * I swear I saved my data, where'd it run off to??? *